Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Windscreen replacement advice

s2bear

s2bear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I know there have been a few topics on this subject but here goes.

10” crack has appeared bottom upwards on the offside (looks like it started as a tiny stone chip under the wiper blade 2 days ago)

18MY Cali Beach, NON heated screen but I do have the auto dip headlamps, rain pack & Acoustic glass pack.

Insurance says £50 xs with approved supplier or £70 xs with non approved supplier. I’m not bothered about an extra £20 if it comes to it but any advice welcome about who I should choose to fit it?

I’m based in West London so presumably I can have one fitted whilst I wait (having made an appointment) at a Cali dealer? I’m apprehensive about Autoglass as they’ve screwed up twice on 911 windscreens for me in the past.

Any advice appreciated as experience is usually something I get just after I need it!
Thanks Stu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Advise is request the fitter do the job at the dealer with a dealer supplied genuine screen.

Great idea - thanks Loz.

Good job the screen wasn’t shattered. Asked for a genuine VW replacement on the 10th and it doesn’t arrive until the 27th.

Laminated glass doesn't shatter like old toughened ones.

Laminated glass doesn't shatter like old toughened ones.

I hear you. I really should have said ‘good job I didn’t need one right away’ but given the non shatter-y-ness you point out, I guess most people don’t need one right away.

I should get out more.

Only snag can be the legality of driving with a cracked windscreen.
Crack is usually just where the sun hits it and becomes a laser straight into your eyes.

Hadn’t thought about that. Thankfully mine is the very bottom offside corner and as it’s LHD hopefully it won’t spread far enough to be a problem before the new one arrives.

Always found that the crack increases overnight. usually stabilises when it reaches the edge.
Not too serious as only the outer glass layer will be cracked (normally anyhow).

Good job the screen wasn’t shattered. Asked for a genuine VW replacement on the 10th and it doesn’t arrive until the 27th.

Good luck. I had something like 7 weeks of waiting.
Bonkers

I've moaned enough about my windscreen in previous posts. I was told it was safe to drive, even though it was large and in the driver's line of sight...it wouldn't have passed an MOT tho.

I know there have been a few topics on this subject but here goes.

10” crack has appeared bottom upwards on the offside (looks like it started as a tiny stone chip under the wiper blade 2 days ago)

18MY Cali Beach, NON heated screen but I do have the auto dip headlamps, rain pack & Acoustic glass pack.

Insurance says £50 xs with approved supplier or £70 xs with non approved supplier. I’m not bothered about an extra £20 if it comes to it but any advice welcome about who I should choose to fit it?

I’m based in West London so presumably I can have one fitted whilst I wait (having made an appointment) at a Cali dealer? I’m apprehensive about Autoglass as they’ve screwed up twice on 911 windscreens for me in the past.

Any advice appreciated as experience is usually something I get just after I need it!
Thanks Stu

Let the experts do it like First Glass Poole . They replaced my galley windows and passenger . There must be several in London . Wouldn’t let Auto glass anywhere near . Don’t think it’s a wait while it’s done job as they should give it 24 hrs to cure . It’s an inside job not outside in the cold and rain . Oh and insist it’s a genuine Vw screen and same colour . They can get this from the VIN number.

Let the experts do it like First Glass Poole . They replaced my galley windows and passenger . There must be several in London . Wouldn’t let Auto glass anywhere near . Don’t think it’s a wait while it’s done job as they should give it 24 hrs to cure . It’s an inside job not outside in the cold and rain . Oh and insist it’s a genuine Vw screen and same colour . They can get this from the VIN number.

Firstglass Automotive Glazing
Unit 2B
Sharp Road
Poole
Dorset
BH12 4BG

Google map
Telephone: 01202 762267
info@windscreendorset.co.uk

Well the insurance line goes straight to Autoglass, they have the VIN and confirmed that it’s a genuine VW one ordered at my request for my VIN with auto dip headlamps etc. They said it’s a few hours and 2hrs to cure or something like that. It’s in my garage and I wouldn’t drive it for a day anyway but I’ve had trouble with Autoglass in the past as has my mate (both on 911s) so I’m not exactly thrilled at the prospect.

Had four windscreens in a year, one landy, two in a mini and one in a focus, all Auto glass never had an issue with them, Auto Glass that is.

Had four windscreens in a year, one landy, two in a mini and one in a focus, all Auto glass never had an issue with them, Auto Glass that is.

Well. They’ve only got ONE job I guess so they should be able to manage it. I think older 911s are notoriously difficult screens to replace so maybe it was that.

Will post a picture on 28th of installed screen with the sunshade at the bottom...

I have to agree about not using auto glass they changed a screen for me and it leaked like a sieve I could not get them to repair it properly and I did try very hard to get them to sort it. So had to do it myself.As an aside whilst I was in there a lady came in with a cracked screen which they had replaced a few days before The lady said the rear view mirror fell of so she bought a new mounting sticker and replaced the mirror herself at that point they said it was her fault the screen cracked and she would have to pay for the replacement.

Well the insurance line goes straight to Autoglass, they have the VIN and confirmed that it’s a genuine VW one ordered at my request for my VIN with auto dip headlamps etc. They said it’s a few hours and 2hrs to cure or something like that. It’s in my garage and I wouldn’t drive it for a day anyway but I’ve had trouble with Autoglass in the past as has my mate (both on 911s) so I’m not exactly thrilled at the prospect.

You don’t have to use Autoglass . Your insurance company will let you pay someone else and then claim back the Autoglass fee which will be less . You get what you pay for .

You don’t have to use Autoglass . Your insurance company will let you pay someone else and then claim back the Autoglass fee which will be less . You get what you pay for .

Yes that’s right. Says in the documents that it’s just another £20 excess which doesn’t bother me too much. Going to sort it all out next week as doing Daddydaycare this weekend - 12 hours in and I’m more broken than the windscreen so it will have to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that’s right. Says in the documents that it’s just another £20 excess which doesn’t bother me too much. Going to sort it all out next week as doing Daddydaycare this weekend - 12 hours in and I’m more broken than the windscreen so it will have to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any update on this as I have the same problem! Insurers are going to recommend Autoglass. I have no beef with them but would like it replaced properly. Mine is not heated but does have rain sensors and mirror dipping. Thanks for any help

Rain sensor is part of rear view mirror mounting not the glass.

Main VW Agent but they may well sub to Autoglass but you have only dealer to contact if any problems. Their own technicians probably not trained as Windscreen Fitters.

Pretty sure I've seen issues with there being specific windscreen for sensors, ie standard rear view mount and sensor type rear view mount. Let the dealer sort it out.

When we had ours replaced, initially Autoglass said they could get a correct replacement quickly. Later phoning back to say there was a supply problem.
You can go to any VW Commercial dealer, but I would go to a California dealer in the hope they would take more care. Greasy hand marks etc.
We had ours done at SMG Tonbridge. They called in an outside contractor to do it on site. I was pleased with the result.

By the way, I think windscreens are in short supply at the moment. Probably Brexit related!!

Update as my windscreen was replaced by Autoglas. Originally brought the wrong screen (miscommunication) but returned a couple of days later. Very professional and I would have no hesitation about using again. Not OEM screen but apart from the VW badge missing bottom corner appears identical in every way. Recommended

I used autoglass back in 2018, genuine VW screen and it was fine.

*thread resurrection*
My windscreen just developed a crack in the lower right side (LHD, so passenger side). It is entirely on the inside between the two outer glass layers. I guess it must have been caused by a fault exacerbated by the below zero temperatures we've had the past two days.

Ironically it seems to have cracked on the way to the dealer this morning as I had an inspection scheduled, but I didn't see it hidden behind the two emission stickers I have there. The dealer pointed it out to me when I went to pick up the car, but then as I'm driving the 20 kms towards home it cracked some more and is about a foot long running horizontally. I'm planning to drive to Courmayeur tomorrow for a long weekend start to the snowboard/ski season but now I'm feeling a bit apprehensive.

I stopped by the local VW in town (not the dealer from before) and they thought it should be ok because the crack is entirely between the double glass outside layers. They thought it might grow some more but won't shatter. I managed to contact the insurance and negotiated for my local dealer to handle it for me and got an appointment for next Tuesday when I'm back from the slopes.
Wish me luck!

*thread resurrection*
My windscreen just developed a crack in the lower right side (LHD, so passenger side). It is entirely on the inside between the two outer glass layers. I guess it must have been caused by a fault exacerbated by the below zero temperatures we've had the past two days.

Ironically it seems to have cracked on the way to the dealer this morning as I had an inspection scheduled, but I didn't see it hidden behind the two emission stickers I have there. The dealer pointed it out to me when I went to pick up the car, but then as I'm driving the 20 kms towards home it cracked some more and is about a foot long running horizontally. I'm planning to drive to Courmayeur tomorrow for a long weekend start to the snowboard/ski season but now I'm feeling a bit apprehensive.

I stopped by the local VW in town (not the dealer from before) and they thought it should be ok because the crack is entirely between the double glass outside layers. They thought it might grow some more but won't shatter. I managed to contact the insurance and negotiated for my local dealer to handle it for me and got an appointment for next Tuesday when I'm back from the slopes.
Wish me luck!
As it is outside your line of vision, I presume, put some strong tape on the outside because water could enter and freeze overnight.

Back