Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Windscreen washers

drmanhattan

drmanhattan

VIP Member
Collected the Cali from dealers this afternoon after having some minor rectification work done and whilst driving back along the M25 I realised the windscreen washers weren't working! Stopped at the next services and checked that the washer reservoir was full - it was. I can't see it being a frozen washer pipe because the engine had been running for a good 45 minutes at this point and would have melted any frozen blockage. I'm thinking it could be a blown fuse because I can't hear the pump working and the rear windscreen washer isn't working either. Needless to say, it made for a dangerous ride home and couldn't have come at a worse time. I don't fancy another trip to the dealers, especially in this weather. Has anybody else experienced this? Can someone tell me where the fuse is located?

Sorry to hear about your hiccup. I'm not sure exactly which fuse it will be but it's the fuse box under the ashtray can't remember if they print it on the back of the cover there should be a little tool in there to help you remove them :thumb good luck

It's a common fault - the washers freeze up and you try to use them and then the fuse blows, simply fix under the bonnet, dealer will do for free.

James

I'm pretty sure the washers would have frozen up, it doesn't have to be too cold to do so, if it is frozen you won't hear the pump. Heated washers are an optional extra I believe.

danny13 said:
I'm pretty sure the washers would have frozen up, it doesn't have to be too cold to do so, if it is frozen you won't hear the pump. Heated washers are an optional extra I believe.

I had the same problem on my recent hire Cali - as I was in the dealers getting it sorted they had someone ring up with the same prob. They said they'd had a lot of them!

I'd like heated washers but my bits are retro fit (xenons) so I haven't got it.

James

Perhaps another good reason to use the VW screenwash if you don't already :thumb

drmanhattan said:
Thanks, from now on it's VW screenwash only then :thumb

I'm sure there are others but I like the VW stuff and it works out quite reasonable to buy.

Re:Rear window washer leak

2012 Beach. :?:
I have a bad leak on the rear window washer feed pipe, when used, water leaks down from the top of the nearside roof plastic panel. I removed the end panels but the pipe is not visible so unable to see where the pipe is damaged. As I have not used the washer for some I think this may have been caused by the pipe freezing. ( must use VW washer antifreeze in future) I wondered if anyone else has had this problem and if it is difficult to access the pipe for repair. Any advice would be very welcome.

Ok I had the same problem from new and it turned out to be a trapped pipe (right hand side) if I remember correctly. There is a point where the water pipe to the washer is kinked and doesn't allow water through. It seems like a small design fault, I can try to take a pic of the pinch point if I get time tonight...

The problem with the leaking rear washer pipe was rectified by SMG at Tonbridge under warranty. Not an easy job as access very difficult. The pipe was not fitted correctly in the factory and was too short. Also all the rusted wheel nuts were replaced F.O.C. Matt was very helpful in resolving these issues.

@patnolan @johntowers46 do you happen to know the routing of the rear wash wipe water pipe? I'm out of warranty and my rear washer isn't working. Pump is working ok but the water is escaping from somewhere around the near side rear wheel arch. Where is this kink/ pinch point?

@patnolan @johntowers46 do you happen to know the routing of the rear wash wipe water pipe? I'm out of warranty and my rear washer isn't working. Pump is working ok but the water is escaping from somewhere around the near side rear wheel arch. Where is this kink/ pinch point?

Experiencing the very same problem, water escaping nearside wheel arch.
Very grateful if you could share the source of the problem and fix.

Hi Fred, did you manage to fix this? I've got the same issue.

Back