Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wing mirror cut off

rookeryview

rookeryview

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Woke up to find one of my T5 mirrors has been cut off and stolen. They would have had both probably, but one is close to the wall.
Is this commonplace these days?
Any bright ideas? Do we all have to install cctv now?

Never heard of this before

Outside my house on the drive.

You can't win whatever you do. It looks very easy to whip a mirror off now I can see the underside, so I'm surprised if doesn't happen more often being that this must be a common part to get damaged and therefore in high demand.

Woke up to find one of my T5 mirrors has been cut off and stolen. They would have had both probably, but one is close to the wall.
Is this commonplace these days?
Any bright ideas? Do we all have to install cctv now?
Really sickening.

We have an IP camera looking out over the drive from an upstairs bedroom window. It has an SD card to record video, either continuous or when motion is detected. It can be set to send a notification to your smart phone when movement is detected, and the video can be viewed remotely.

There are various ones available on Amazon for around £35 - 40. Make sure you get one that the IR night mode can be disabled or you will only see the reflection of the LED’s in the window. You do need some street lighting or security lighting though, when the IR is disabled.

There are also IP cameras that can be mounted outside to avoid the reflection problem, if that is an issue.

Thanks for the support.
We are in a small town in East Kent, quiet back road with very little footfall. I expect it was targeted after being spotted, maybe by a delivery driver or tradesman with a VW van or a friend in need. Lived here for 2 years with nothing ever happening in the road.
I've reported it to the police for what it's worth (online as 101 recommends to avoid a 25 minute wait)
Anyway, thanks for the IP camera idea. They look prety cheap, so I'll stick one up to show willing, and do some fox watching. For £40, it's a no brainer, so I would say that everyone should get one.
Anyone with experience of fitting another one, or is it a dealer job?

Guessed as much. So if I call on the insurance, that will mostly be excess, then my claim is recorded, but even if you don't claim you have to declare it anyway, which will increase the risk next year, and so it goes on......
2 years ago I had my bike cut off the back outside a park in Somerset, despite two extra locks being deployed. The bike was only worth £200.
It's just a lottery,I suppose, and you wonder if it's all worth it sometimes....

One of our employees clipped someone's Transporter Sportline mirror a couple of years ago and I had to stump up about £350 for that. Just wasn't worth involving the insurance company.

Plenty for sale on eBay at OK prices. Might even be one in your colour.

Is the an “ironic” emoticon?

Don’t knock it, I had one back in 1998. One of the best cars I’ve ever had and certainly one of the fastest point to point. And only a base model 1.8 petrol 16v. Magical ride, handled superbly and good on fuel. Comfy seats and quiet too. And never cost a bean other than routine stuff, sold it to a man that intended to use it for mini cabbing (a sad fate that befell nearly all of them).

I had a brand new Pug 406 company car back in the day and I loved it too. Fasted ever journey I made from Troon to Bushey in 5 hours two drivers only stopping for fuel once. Great Motorway car...

406. Could we get a grip?

What about the cool Black 309 I had before the 406.....

Hehe, I too had a cool black 309 before my 406. It was my second ever car. Had it between 1993 and 2003. 406 between 2003 and 2013, then a crap 5008 until 2017.

I paid £3000 for the 309 and £6000 for the 406. Sold for £1200 and £1500. £6300 purchase price less selling price on cars over 20 years; £315 per year.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Last edited:
Back