Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter myth(s) busted

bvirc

bvirc

A lot of Cali owners believe that you should leave the waste tank valve open to avoid freezing the grey water during winter camping.
Well, this is not actually true! The waste water tank is quite safe if you keep the aux heater running at least periodically during the day / night and having cupboards open for circulating hot air.
But the outside draining valve is problematic, almost horizontal and exposed to cold. If you leave the valve open, water will just drip most of the time due to our economic consumption of fresh water. This low flow will quickly cause ice building that will quickly clog the outside valve completely in temperatures below -5C.
So much better approach is to keep the valve closed most of the time and open it just when your tank is partly filled. This will provide enough flow to avoid ice accumulation.
We use the water system down to -15C with no problems - my avatar pic was taken in such conditions.

And by the way - enjoy winter camping, with few tricks is really enjoyable, keep the heater on and yes, it's safe and Germans don't want to gas up you or your kids :) And yes, winter tires are "must have" for a proper snowy winter at least in the Alps.

A lot of Cali owners believe that you should leave the waste tank valve open to avoid freezing the grey water during winter camping.
Well, this is not actually true! The waste water tank is quite safe if you keep the aux heater running at least periodically during the day / night and having cupboards open for circulating hot air.
But the outside draining valve is problematic, almost horizontal and exposed to cold. If you leave the valve open, water will just drip most of the time due to our economic consumption of fresh water. This low flow will quickly cause ice building that will quickly clog the outside valve completely in temperatures below -5C.
So much better approach is to keep the valve closed most of the time and open it just when your tank is partly filled. This will provide enough flow to avoid ice accumulation.
We use the water system down to -15C with no problems - my avatar pic was taken in such conditions.

And by the way - enjoy winter camping, with few tricks is really enjoyable, keep the heater on and yes, it's safe and Germans don't want to gas up you or your kids :) And yes, winter tires are "must have" for a proper snowy winter at least in the Alps.
Hi. We don't have any winter experience yet, and we are now considering going to Austria for a few days of ski touring. If I understood correctly, you use the entire water system even at temperatures below freezing, and I assume that you have the heating system on all the time. We have a Cali Ocean 4x4 with a Webasto heating system.
By the way, I'm curious about the fuel consumption when the heating system is set to the minimum value?

Hi. We don't have any winter experience yet, and we are now considering going to Austria for a few days of ski touring. If I understood correctly, you use the entire water system even at temperatures below freezing, and I assume that you have the heating system on all the time. We have a Cali Ocean 4x4 with a Webasto heating system.
By the way, I'm curious about the fuel consumption when the heating system is set to the minimum value?
Hi. Yes I use the entire water system all the time In subzero temperatures. Last year I used it in -10c and currently it’s -7.5c in the French alps - never had a problem and having the auxiliary heater on continuously keeps the van warm as toast. Fuel consumption on the auxiliary heater is very low, to the point of not even being noticeable.
My ski trips tend to last about two weeks at a time - never had a a problem with the van whilst in continuous minus temperatures.

Hi. Yes I use the entire water system all the time In subzero temperatures. Last year I used it in -10c and currently it’s -7.5c in the French alps - never had a problem and having the auxiliary heater on continuously keeps the van warm as toast. Fuel consumption on the auxiliary heater is very low, to the point of not even being noticeable.
My ski trips tend to last about two weeks at a time - never had a a problem with the van whilst in continuous minus temperatures.
Thanks a lot for your answer, Nejc

You write "But the outside draining valve is problematic, almost horizontal and exposed to cold"

I'm not sure I understand: surely you do not mean the valve to drain the fresh water tank ? Are there then two valves for the grey water (inside and outside) and are you talking about an outside one ?

Where do you close and open that one ? Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any mentioning of it in the manual, and I drained my grey water tank once (I'm a rather new owner) just by opening the valve inside the kitchen closet; I didn't need to open any outside valve ?

Thanks,
Stefan.

You write "But the outside draining valve is problematic, almost horizontal and exposed to cold"

I'm not sure I understand: surely you do not mean the valve to drain the fresh water tank ? Are there then two valves for the grey water (inside and outside) and are you talking about an outside one ?

Where do you close and open that one ? Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any mentioning of it in the manual, and I drained my grey water tank once (I'm a rather new owner) just by opening the valve inside the kitchen closet; I didn't need to open any outside valve ?

Thanks,
Stefan.
There is no 2nd or outside valve for the Waste water tank.

From Eberspacher the fuel consumption is 0.3L/hr on continuous maximum heating, which you never use continuously.

That's what I thought, but then I don't understand what is meant by the poster ..
He is referring to the Waste tank outlet on the underside, outside the vehicle cabin so it will not benefit from having the Parking Heater on. If the valve in the kitchen cupboard is left open and the sink used then waste water would dribble out of the outlet and likely freeze and block the outlet.

Back