Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

winter tyres

Boyo

Boyo

VIP Member
Hi.
I have 16" wheels on my T5 and I have a set of 17" winter tyres. Can anyone tell me can I just buy a set of 17" rims for the winter tyres and put them on the cali? Thanks

Hi.
I have 16" wheels on my T5 and I have a set of 17" winter tyres. Can anyone tell me can I just buy a set of 17" rims for the winter tyres and put them on the cali? Thanks
It depends on whether the 17" tyres are of the correct size, speed and load rating. If they are, then yes, but check carefully as this varies significantly from one vehicle to another. If they were previously on a Cali, then you should be OK. Going up (or down) a size in tyre requires the profile of the new tyre to the same as the original, to ensure that the speedo reading is accurate.

And remember that your insurers may need to be informed if you change the wheel size etc.

Thanks for your replies, not yet decided. May just buy a spare set of rims and winter tyres at 16"

I asked myself the same question and I ended up in ordering the same size as I have for my summer wheels (16", Conti VanContact 215/65 R16C 104). So I have no problem fitting them because this size was originally on my Cali. I def go for some "bigger/more shiny" wheels in summer.
Hope you find the right thing!

Normally with winter sizes you would go for the same or smaller than existing. This is because of the profile of the tyre - smaller diameter wheels means needing a higher profile and therefore slightly narrower tyre to keep the same rolling resistance - this is better for winter conditions than low profile, wide tyres . You will also probably find they are cheaper this way.