Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter Tyres

On a California it helps because there good for the alps in the snow and soggy campsites in winter they help grip better in mud so all round there better than standard tyres

Thanks, trouble is in this country we get soggy campsites in summer due to all the bl**dy rain we get....so would need to keep them on all year !!!!

Hence why most winter tyres are 4seasons always a good option to tick

Thanks, trouble is in this country we get soggy campsites in summer due to all the bl**dy rain we get....so would need to keep them on all year !!!!
The composition of the rubber in summer tires is optimized for summer temperatures, but these tires become hard and inflexible at low winter temperatures, leading to reduced contact patch and poor adhesion. Winter tires are properly flexible at low temperatures, but become soft and excessively pliable at warm temperatures. All season tires try to strike a balance, and while not being the absolute best at anything, can under most circumstances deal with wide temperature swings from summer to winter. That's why we talk about "winter" tires, not "snow" tires. It's primarily about the composition of the rubber in relation to temperature, and then secondly about more or less aggressive tread patterns.

Last edited:
As a complete novice, would someone be kind enough to explain why you need different tyres for winter ??? Does this really happen, you don’t change tyres on a car depending on the season
Thanks
And that is why there are so many problems and accidents at the first sign of frost, ice or snow in the UK. If you want the best traction you should or adopt a halfway house and have All Season tyres . People use their Californias all year round and either change to winter tyres in the winter or have all year round All Season tyres for the above reasons.
Obviously if your California is in the garage for 6 month of the year and only used in Summer, no need.

And that is why there are so many problems and accidents at the first sign of frost, ice or snow in the UK. If you want the best traction you should or adopt a halfway house and have All Season tyres . People use their Californias all year round and either change to winter tyres in the winter or have all year round All Season tyres for the above reasons.
Obviously if your California is in the garage for 6 month of the year and only used in Summer, no need.
But we don’t get frost or snow for more than a day or two per winter in the Britain. So is it worth it? If you live in the Highlands or half way up a mountain or intend to go to the Alps then maybe it is, but otherwise summer tyres would be fine.

But we don’t get frost or snow for more than a day or two per winter in the Britain. So is it worth it? If you live in the Highlands or half way up a mountain or intend to go to the Alps then maybe it is, but otherwise summer tyres would be fine.
But we do get lots of rain, at low temperatures and All Season/Winter tyres do work better in those situations. I just fit All Seasons as I doubt if I will be going to the Alps in the Winter but when its 5c and the roads are like rivers I seem to be able to get around safely unlike some others in 4x4s with summer tyres.

But we do get lots of rain, at low temperatures and All Season/Winter tyres do work better in those situations. I just fit All Seasons as I doubt if I will be going to the Alps in the Winter but when its 5c and the roads are like rivers I seem to be able to get around safely unlike some others in 4x4s with summer tyres.
The vast majority of vehicles in the U.K. run summer tyres all year round and you don’t see cars flying off the road, skidding and getting into accidents every time it rains. I think the benefits of winter and or all season are very marginal in a country with such a mild climate as the one we live in.

The vast majority of vehicles in the U.K. run summer tyres all year round and you don’t see cars flying off the road, skidding and getting into accidents every time it rains. I think the benefits of winter and or all season are very marginal in a country with such a mild climate as the one we live in.
Seen a few around here in ditches.
I only state what I do/prefer you, and everyone else, can make your own decisions as to which tyres they wish to run and what sort of driving conditions they will drive in.

The technology to make all season tyres (at manageable cost) is relatively new so the market is still new. I heard that Michelin is moving all its production to 'all season' compounds (may or may not be factual).
If we were starting over, most cars in the UK would be running on all season tyres.

Fun, this kind of questions turning up often here. And I guess it is because it is not mandatory? Even here it isn‘t but personal I feel better with the matching tyres (insurance and so on). However personal choice.
I went for the standard 215/65 R16, brand Continental Winter Contact (I carry some chains around) and some 225/55 R17 Continental Vancontact 200 Summer tyres.

Last edited:
I’ve recently made the switch to Cross Climates from the standard ones fitted from new.
Shortly after getting my Cali I picked up a set of steels with new summer tyres on intending to stick some winters on them and switch each year.
As I’ve got more confidence in the Cross Climates and live in the mild South West I’ve opted for them instead and will be selling my steels when I get round to it.
As stated in other posts as the temperature drops the grip goes. As it’s wet down here I want more confidence that my 3 ton brick will stick to the road when it does. I also don’t see myself needing full winters as my skiing days are behind me.

Mike

The technology to make all season tyres (at manageable cost) is relatively new so the market is still new. I heard that Michelin is moving all its production to 'all season' compounds (may or may not be factual).
If we were starting over, most cars in the UK would be running on all season tyres.
Decades ago tyres were either normal (all season) or winter category.

Summer tyres appeared when there was a need for low rolling resistance tyres to aid achieving low emission target figures.

Having driven my Cali with both Summer and All Season tyres the ability to remain in full control during heavy rain and especially when hitting a large pool or stream of water is very noticeable.

I bought winter tyres last week. Mainly because I’m heading for the Alps for three weeks. Couldn’t believe the difference in grip evident here in the UK. Especially noticeable pulling away from junctions. With summer tyres my accelerator foot needed the finesse of professional pianist to avoid wheel spin. Noticeably better braking too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decades ago tyres were either normal (all season) or winter category.
I don’t think the millions of £ spent to come up with the new formulations would support that argument.
Also it’s not helpful to this debate which is helping folk decide if they need something other than the ‘standard’ type of that we were all fed for many years.

I'm about to change my original factory fitted Goodyear Marathons , they are coming up to 8y soon but still 5mm left doh . Only about 55.000 - 60.000 km done .
Guess now a days people(at least i am) are more pushed in the direction that tyres should be changed due age for safety reason. And that you should concider all-season tyres for all year round use , it's all over the news every time it goes sub-zero .Even here in Belgium where it rarely snows and tons of salt being put on the road even when the slightest prediction of sub-zero themp.
I have putted all-season Cross Climate on my Renault Kangoo 2y ago and now thinking of putting those also on my Cali . They are 160€ each doh ! 215/65/16
I have a set of winter tyres that i got for our Norway trip few years ago . I usual put on the winterset arround okt-nov and switch back to summers in april , but in that period the Cali never is in use that much so now a set of all seasons would be better i guess.
I don't bother the switch of the tyres myself and have storage for the spare sets , the money spent ....guess i can effort it ?

Also i think all season tyres are developed more in a way for all year use as say 20-30y ago ....my 50cent...it's what you yourself gives you piece of mind ....

I can be very very stingy when it comes spending money but tyres are way to important to be stingy on .
Ps: Translated stingy , hope it does reflect what i mean ;)

The temperature that the manufacturers suggest All-Season or Winter tyres are effective from is 7ºC.
Our winter temperatures get there and below often at this time of the year, even if there is no frost or snow on the ground.

Alan

My situation is different to the majority as i Iive in Switzerland. There isnt a legal requirement to have winter tyres but plod will do you for not being equipped for the conditions if you have an accident.

Anyway...

The difference on heavy frost days or days around 3 c is substantial. I have 2 sets of wheels so no big deal to swap.

I certainly recommend to have winter tyres or all season with the alpine symbol. End of day it's not that expensive and compared to stoving the van into something and all repairs or write off after its definitely worth it.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

My situation is different to the majority as i Iive in Switzerland. There isnt a legal requirement to have winter tyres but plod will do you for not being equipped for the conditions if you have an accident.

Anyway...

The difference on heavy frost days or days around 3 c is substantial. I have 2 sets of wheels so no big deal to swap.

I certainly recommend to have winter tyres or all season with the alpine symbol. End of day it's not that expensive and compared to stoving the van into something and all repairs or write off after its definitely worth it.

And if you are running and consuming the winter tyres, at the same time you are NOT consuming the summer tyres. It is not a double expense.

And if you are running and consuming the winter tyres, at the same time you are NOT consuming the summer tyres. It is not a double expense.
Exactly!

Totally confused......I think All Season as I don’t fancy switching tyres twice a year !

Unless you anticipate serious snow and serious other slippery conditions, 4 season are perfectly adequate. I switched tyres every year, a pita with a lot of garage room taken up but on my current vehicle I've stuck 4 season on them and never had a problem despite being a couple of times in serious snow.

Obviously there are folk who are quite happy with standard tyres. I can honestly say that in 3 years of ownership I have never had an issue with grip, and that includes some very wet trips in the Lakes and in Wales. I haven't driven in snow much but I bet most others on this forum haven't either.

Having said that I am looking at replacing my worn Bridgestones with Michelin CCs buy I haven't ruled out getting standard tyres again.