Winter Week Break Options

SimplyDubs

SimplyDubs

VW and loving it...
Vehicle
N/A
OK then guys...

Looking for recommendations...

Wanting to do a week break in the UK in January or Early Feb.

Now, I've been most places but want to think about preferences.

West Coast Scotland, Lake District or Cornwall. (The world or at least country is my oyster... Or any other sort of mollusc :) )

Trip intended as a winter get away.... man, van, camera and border collie.

Thoughts please.

Cheers
Mark

During the winter we take the approach of looking at the weather forecast and going where it looks best :) This year we had to take that approach during the summer as well...

Also Consider Brecon Beacons (and the Mumbles area looks nice, but haven't been), Yorkshire Dales (Around Malham and Goredale is really nice for a few days) or the Peak District.

It all depends on the weather really!
dan

Dan,

Good point in the weather... Drives so many decisions.

We normally do a long weekend in the Peak district every year as a family (in fact with brother and his family).

Thinking of walking with some good dog friendly pubs... Tending towards the lakes at the moment.

Cheers

Mark

I recommend the camping and caravan club site at Eskdale (boot) some lovely walks and routes to cycle along and some great pubs.

Californiaman said:
I recommend the camping and caravan club site at Eskdale (boot) some lovely walks and routes to cycle along and some great pubs.

I second that! Went in September 2010 and it was a fantastic area for walking.
But beware with the weather we've had the last few months a lot of the walks there are probably too wet to attempt unless you're wearing waders!
We'd had a spell of bad weather before we went and the campsite fields were submerged meaning we had to pitch up in the car park.
Wherever you go it would make sense to call them first to check on the conditions of the site and surrounding area.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Freeley said:
We'd had a spell of bad weather before we went and the campsite fields were submerged meaning we had to pitch up in the car park.
Wherever you go it would make sense to call them first to check on the conditions of the site and surrounding area.

Good point. I like the sound of Eskdale and it's many years since I've been up there. Let's see what the weather brings in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks guys.

Mark

The NT site at Wasdale Head is excellent. Not sure what facilities there were for vans as I've only camped there, but def pitches for vans. Pub is about 10-15 min walk away. Think they have switched the 'leccy back on now...

The NT site at Langdale isn't as nice, but I had the best pint of beer I've ever had at the Sticklebarn just down the road :)

dan