Winter wheels and tyres in Switzerland

Jillops

Jillops

Chris
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi guys,

What's the difference between 7HC and 7HMA?

Love the forum, I'm still new to it. I've been trawling through them learning all about tyres and looking for advice etc as I need winter tyres for my Cali out here in Switzerland. p.s. Loving my purchase in May this year, T6 Cali Ocean 150PS DSG (see pic taken in Grindelwald).

So far I think I have decided to keep it simple and buy steels with winters, same size as what came with the van, then have a garage change them for me, I am certainly not hands on and want to play it safe! I really want alloys, but with talk of salt corrosion and the amount I hope to be driving in the mountains, (and saving a few Swiss Francs) I'll maybe save that for when my summer tyres eventually need replacing.

So I have gone to the Swiss equivalent (or so it looks) of mytyres website (www.reifendirekt.ch) and gone to the wheel and tyre selector. Steel wheels with winter tyres, T6 California 2.0 TDI and then I need to choose the type of vehicle. I know I have the 110KW 150PS but is there a difference between 7HC and 7HMA? See screen grab below.

I currently have 215/65 R16 C ContiVanContact 200. It also says 109/107 R 106/104T on the tyre wall which has confused me, there is quite a difference in the tyres available between these load and speed ratings. But I assume so long as I get at least 103 load or higher with R I'll be just fine?

Could I go to 17" if I wanted? Any benefit other than looking better? I want the best grip only having FWD and not 4M, happy to keep at 16" if this will work better. I do like the classic VW steel wheels, I can't seem to find them but maybe they're nothing special and they are just a disk or cap inserted in the middle?

Cheers!
Chris

IMG_2335.JPG

WheelSelector.png

I assume you have tried searching by registration to get round this problem?

That would be ace, but not come across anywhere to do that yet, with my Swiss registration anyway.

The 7H part of the vin code means its a VW Multivan I thought the next digits were year identifiers not model

Last edited:
16" wheels would give a better selection of winter tyres and cheaper than 17".

I don't know how much legal options you have in Switzerland with regards to wheel size changes.

17" would be a better option if you ever come to resell the wheels.

There is no issue with alloy versus steel wheels as to salt, just give them a good wax coat before fitting and clean when you take them off. Steels rust with salt.
Good quality alloys will take a bump if you slide into a kerb, within reasonable force when a steel might buckle.

You probably know lots about winter tyres but don't go wide or low profile.

Sorry cant agree about alloys in winter. Any slight rubbing off of the coating will result in corrosion starting on an alloy. Yes steels will rust but can easily be cleaned up with a wire brush and then silver Hammerite, good as new. Personally I would sooner hit a kerb with a steel. Alloys, as I found out years ago, can crack and lose pressure and then they are scrap. A steel will bend and can still get you home unless it's a real wallop.

I’ve no idea what the difference is between a 7HC and 7HMA, but on a T5 (mine anyway) you can find out what the build type is by looking in the engine bay, on the bulkhead there should be a plate detailing the axle weights and whether it a 7HC or 7HMA build. Mine is on the off side end of the bulkhead (RHDrive), it may be different on yours
Re the tyre marking 109/107R 106/104T some tyres have dual marking for when they’re doubled up. Would think as a minimum you would need T rated (116mph) tyres, R is only 106 mph rated. Check on the label on (driver side door) B pillar to see what rating VW approve for your T6

Sorry cant agree about alloys in winter. Any slight rubbing off of the coating will result in corrosion starting on an alloy. Yes steels will rust but can easily be cleaned up with a wire brush and then silver Hammerite, good as new. Personally I would sooner hit a kerb with a steel. Alloys, as I found out years ago, can crack and lose pressure and then they are scrap. A steel will bend and can still get you home unless it's a real wallop.
I did say good quality alloys with proper paint treatment, not talking about bling ones. If ownership is only for up to 5 years with less than 2.5 years road use no corrosion should be apparent with routine cleaning.

When did you last see a Rally car with steel wheels?

We are both agreeing about a real 'wallop'

On steel wheel point I would tend to favour them as they have a more disc like design that keeps the brake discs dry and hence less rain/splashing get in from passing vehicles gets through when parked.

Agree with @brinwy I always go for steel for winters. 16 or 17inch your choice - I would stay with 16's if that is your alloy size - gives more options in future.

Hi guys,

What's the difference between 7HC and 7HMA?

Love the forum, I'm still new to it. I've been trawling through them learning all about tyres and looking for advice etc as I need winter tyres for my Cali out here in Switzerland. p.s. Loving my purchase in May this year, T6 Cali Ocean 150PS DSG (see pic taken in Grindelwald).

So far I think I have decided to keep it simple and buy steels with winters, same size as what came with the van, then have a garage change them for me, I am certainly not hands on and want to play it safe! I really want alloys, but with talk of salt corrosion and the amount I hope to be driving in the mountains, (and saving a few Swiss Francs) I'll maybe save that for when my summer tyres eventually need replacing.

So I have gone to the Swiss equivalent (or so it looks) of mytyres website (www.reifendirekt.ch) and gone to the wheel and tyre selector. Steel wheels with winter tyres, T6 California 2.0 TDI and then I need to choose the type of vehicle. I know I have the 110KW 150PS but is there a difference between 7HC and 7HMA? See screen grab below.

I currently have 215/65 R16 C ContiVanContact 200. It also says 109/107 R 106/104T on the tyre wall which has confused me, there is quite a difference in the tyres available between these load and speed ratings. But I assume so long as I get at least 103 load or higher with R I'll be just fine?

Could I go to 17" if I wanted? Any benefit other than looking better? I want the best grip only having FWD and not 4M, happy to keep at 16" if this will work better. I do like the classic VW steel wheels, I can't seem to find them but maybe they're nothing special and they are just a disk or cap inserted in the middle?

Cheers!
Chris

View attachment 27689

View attachment 27690

Hello Chris

I went the same road and choose the Continental Winter ones. 16“ last two winter on steels and this winter in alloy.

„109/107 R“ as it is a tyre for commercial use, if you use them on a double axle there is another weight rating.

And as far as I understand it is important to check with the brake size to choose a wheel size however 16“ or 17“ is OK. I took the 16“ because cheaper and easier (for me) to fit some chains on it (also only got 2wd).

I hope this helps to decide.

Cheers sapto

Awesome, thank you all. Great advice and good to get the different viewpoints. After sleeping on it I realised that I haven't really seen any alloys that I really like, and I do want to get them sorted for a soon upcoming trip so don't have the time to waste hunting around for the prefect wheel. I'll get the steels and conti's I think. Then I keep it the same size, probably best grip on the road, nice and easy to choose, and stick with what seems to be the more favoured steels in the winter.

As it happens I think it's the same wheel when you choose 7HC or 7HMA, so after all that eh? ha haaa.

841231af5b921b5143fe867814c357a8.jpg

At the moment there are some tutti.ch offers or similar... good luck.

BTW great to have another Swissmember here!