Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter Wheels and Tyres Query

A

aileron346

VIP Member
I'm just toying with the idea of winter wheels. I'd be really grateful for some advice as I've always been baffled by wheel/tyre sizes/specs etc, so apologies if these are basic queries.

There seems to be OEM two steel wheel choices out there...one 16" (the wheel with a circle of small holes) and a 17" (a circle of more triangular cutouts).

As I have a 16" alloy wheels at present, I'm assuming that 17" wheels are not a good idea as I will have a 16" spare?

In terms of the 16" wheels, if anyone knows the ones I mean (standard VW steel wheels on most commercial T5s), can I assume that they will be specced OK for the Cali? Some sites request the T-type of the van .. T32 etc. Anyone know what the Cal 140 is in terms of T-types?

And finally, if I normally run 215/65 R16's... is it OK if winter wheels are 205/65?

Thanks in advance for any advice on these things...

There are numerous threads on here. Have a look under 'Insurance and Winter Tyres' I have posted a link to the ABI insurance site, download the pdf and see the position of your insurance company - just to make sure that fitting winter wheels and /or 17" wheels is okay.

I expect that Benn will sell you a set of 5 VW steel wheels with tyres for less than you can buy from My-tyres or anywhere else as the tyres retail at £140 plus alone. That way you won't have to worry about the spare, although I supect the circumference will be the same. I going to buy a spare from Benn so it is the same tread as the four on Cali.

You'll also find some photos on here with the wheels fitted, I think they are under 'Steel Wheels and Winter tyres'

Andy

I spent considerable time looking into this and settled for...

16" VW OEM steel wheels - bought from a campervan conversion workshop as they upgrade the steel wheels for alloys so mine only had 900 miles on them and cost me £130 including P&P. Plastic hubs were another £30 on eBAy.

Continental VancoWinter 2 215/65 R16C 106/104T - from my tyres.co.uk. I kept it simple and stayed with original sizes etc. I was keen that the tyres displayed both the M&S and snowflake/mountain symbols as I plan to travel to Europe this winter and the latter avoids any confusion inlaces like Austria.

Insurance - with VW, happy as long as the rolling diameter was the same.

Hope this helps,

Andy

PS - I also discovered what the black splurge on the steel wheels is all about!

I think the 16's only fit the 140 engine model. The 17's are ok for either the 140 or the 180 (with the bigger brake calipers), but you should check with the dealer to be sure. I'm not sure the Cali is given a T-rating (it's the weight capacity)

215/65 R16's... is it OK if winter wheels are 205/65?

The diameter of the wheel will change slightly, as you are putting narrower tyres with the same 65 wall on there (i.e. 65% of 205 is less than 65% of 215) - that equates to about a -13mm difference in wheel diameter (which is probably ok from an insurance perspective) but will affect the speedo calibration a little and your engine will turn a wee bit faster to attain the same true speed.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator is a good site to play with tyre sizes

This calculator site also illustrates that if you run 215 60 R17's, the spare wheel with 215 65 R16 rubber is only +4mm overall difference, which is adequate for emergency/spare use.

I've just bought 4 winter tyres on steel wheels with the black centre hubcaps from Benn. The wheels are exactly as described and are obviously brand new. Full marks to Benn.

Winter tyres make a dramatic difference to grip in cold weather and are astonishing in snow. I have BMW 1 series and the winter tyres transformed it. They are a good investment and Benn is providing a good deal for Cali owners.

And he's not paying me........ ;)

I was boggled for ages and in the end replaced 17' alloys with 17' steels and same size tyres, supplied directly from SMG.

I'm still wondering if I called it right and when in Ischgl snowboarding (amazing snow!) this weekend for the opening of the ski season I was amazed by how many VW vans were out there.

Transporters, Beaches & Calis.

Every single one had winter tyres and they all had different size wheels, steels and alloys and all were different make tyres.

There seemed to be no right or wrong decision......

Recently bought a set of VW 17inch Steel Wheels with Cargo Vector All-Weather Tyres on and complete with black hubcaps for winter use.I've replaced the 18inch Alloys for March use on the continent. I've checked the German websites and they are suitable for winter use in Germany, Austria etc. I bought them from Benn down in Kent. He has more sets available and I have to say they are excellent value.

His Pub/Inn is a good place to visit to eat/drink as well.
Ian

_IAN7701.jpg

Have to agree. Benn's a top guy and really helpful. I've just shipped my Beach to NZ shod with his tyres and two spares - Thunders to follow later. The wheels are 950 kg rated and look like they'll stand up well to potholes and unsealed roads well. The tyres are also a good all round option - good quality and made in Germany.

Having introduced him to the site from the T4/T5 forums last year I'm pleased to see how popular he has been.

Andy

Just another massive thumbs up for Benn and his superb service, 4 wheels held onto for me for a month or so then delivered promptly. Brilliant.

Thanks for the nice comments guys! Pleased your all happy with the wheels and tyres. If anybody else needs some please give me a call.

I bought brand spanking new wheels from Benn too. He is amazingly super helpful; defo recommend!

Another satisfied customer - thanks Benn.
Set of 4 Cargo vectors M+S on 17" steels arrived few days ago, all balanced and now fitted to the beach.
Prompt text replies & constant updates from Benn - I can understand how he gets so much glowing reviews here.

(A different story is the one where I discover the key to the locking wheel nut was not supplied by the supplying dealer in Liverpool (nice empty holder in the toolbox!) - Thanks Sinclair Swansea for sorting me out. Thank goodness no punctures (with a vanfull of family, up a country lane) in the 10 months I've had the Beach eh?)

Hi all

Does anyone know how to contact Benn ? I would be interested in getting a quote for 4 winter tyre on steel wheels for my new T5 California.

Thanks

He was a member here. His forum name is
Beni1664
Try a PM.

rob

Hi Borris - could you let me know if you have any success contacting Beni? Thanks

Hi Borris - could you let me know if you have any success contacting Beni? Thanks
No, I am afraid not.
As a result, I think I will now stick with the steels/winters offered by the VW dealer even though they are probably more expensive.

Hi, i have alloys and winter tyres in the for sale section :)

Does anyone know if a cali (2015) 4motion which came with 17 inch 235/55R17 standard can be equipped with 16 inch alloys and winter tyres 215/65-16C?

I got two offers for alu alloys + winter tyres:
16 inch 215/65-16C : EUR 1260
17 inch 235/55R17 : EUR 1480

Are they equal in performance on snow or is any one better? (equal brand and type, different size)
I plan to use it for a long time.. price is less of an issue than safety and (of course) looks.

I don't think 16 inch wheels will fit on the 180 model due to brake caliper size.

I don't think 16 inch wheels will fit on the 180 model due to brake caliper size.
Sorry, forgot to mention that this is a 140 beach 4 motion.
These don't have bigger brakes.
Still I wonder why they go for 17 inch standard with no option to downgrade to 16, perhaps has to do with the slightly increased weight limit of a 4motion (3080kg vs 3000kg on a 2wd)?

Good point has your beach got a spare?

yes, it does. And it's a 17 inch steel one 235/55R17