Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wiring loom broken

S

Sutherland

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
My T6 2016 broke down last week and I got towed to a VW garage. They called today to say that the problem was a break in the wiring loom where something has been rubbing.
It’s a £500 pound repair bill because it’s warranty ran out in May.
With the mileage under 20000 miles this seams to be a manufacturing error rather than anything else.
Has anybody had any experience with something like this.

Shocking. I would be asking for a full report and photos from them to show where the break is and how it happened.
Ask for it to be escalated to VWCS as, of their is an inherent fault, they may contribute to the repair.
Remember, the consumer rights act 2015 gives you rights for 6-years if the product isn't of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose. Wiring looms should last for the life of the vehicle.

My T6 2016 broke down last week and I got towed to a VW garage. They called today to say that the problem was a break in the wiring loom where something has been rubbing.
It’s a £500 pound repair bill because it’s warranty ran out in May.
With the mileage under 20000 miles this seams to be a manufacturing error rather than anything else.
Has anybody had any experience with something like this.
Past reports have been commonly due to Rodent Damage.

Shocking. I would be asking for a full report and photos from them to show where the break is and how it happened.
Ask for it to be escalated to VWCS as, of their is an inherent fault, they may contribute to the repair.
Remember, the consumer rights act 2015 gives you rights for 6-years if the product isn't of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose. Wiring looms should last for the life of the vehicle.

Thank you. That is great advice with a good argument.
I will Put that to them when I speak to them next.

Hmm, I don’t know but I might give them a call in the morning and get them to take photos before making.a start. It’s funny you should say that because the first sign of trouble was the engine reved whilst driving like the clutch engaged for a moment. It would be interesting if anybody has any more info.

Thank you. That is great advice with a good argument.
I will Put that to them when I speak to them next.
Found this on the T6forum
Now the other thing that happened whilst at the dealership was a Service Action, number 34i3 which is to replace/relocate a wire which rubs on the transmission and therefore frays, don't know what wire it is or what happens when it frays and then shorts on the transmission unfortunately but could this be related ????
I would quote that service action number and “suggest” it should have been done.. worth a try.?

Hi we seem to have a few T6 models with wiring chaffing on top of the horse shoe clip for the dsg box ( not related to the aforementioned workshop action ) and also wiring chafing in the conduit as it goes around the front engine mount. Try and find out what the fault code was and what loom was affected.

Ok thank you.
Would you say those issues are a design/ manufacture fault?
I’ve opened a case with vw customer care so they are going to speak to the garage. I mention the service action and he could only check actions for my vehicle and said there was nothing regarding wiring.
I will post the outcome.

Ok thank you.
Would you say those issues are a design/ manufacture fault?
I’ve opened a case with vw customer care so they are going to speak to the garage. I mention the service action and he could only check actions for my vehicle and said there was nothing regarding wiring.
I will post the outcome.
Hi I’ve only seen a few and it’s over a few different chassis years and mileages so it’s hard to say if it’s a manufacture fault as they are not all the same wire etc. but please let us all know the out come

Outcome-
I got a phone call today from VW customer services.
There is no joy on any contribution.
I didn’t realise but they only contact the garage and ask them if they can do anything.
I don’t know why, the garage didn’t build the van.
The broken wires were behind the front bumper. Behind a box.
Let down VW??

My usual approach with VW and Seat customer support (not the garaghe) is to ask in writing if I will be expected to replace said part every x years, usually puts things in perspective for them, as its hard to answer that without admitting it failed too early and may not be fit for purpose.