Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wishing to convert from motorhome

S

Smudger75

Vehicle
Motorhome
Hi everybody

Have been visiting Calafornia Club a lot recently doing research on the Calafornia. Both my partner and me bought our second Hymer motorhome 2 years ago, however find that in reality that is doesn't get the used enough to justify the costs running several vehicles. My thoughts are if I replace my car and motorhome for a Cali then I can cut a lot of running costs. keep the camper on my drive and hopefully have some wonderful adventures.

Looking to order a new T6 to get delivered in 6mths it's exciting stuff researching all the options available. however my main concerns are loosing the space inside our motorhome and downsizing to the camper lifestyle. But with so many of California owners happy campers it must be something that you can get comfortable with.

So watch this space and you could have an additional camper van owner.

Matthew

Hi and welcome on your first post .
There have been some here before that did the same as you are thinking ,
some are still owning the Cali and we did hear some changing back to a big white....
Compared to a big white the Cali got pro's and con's it all depends on your own needs .
Think a Cali gives more oppertunaties to go where a big white can't come or to difficult to come , like steep cols in France , narrow coastal roads ,....

Hi Matthew and welcome to the forum.

I upsized from a tent to a caravan, went upsized again to an A Class, then cross-sized to a big caravan and then bought my Cali.

Downsides is that loss of space, no where to flop out without bouncing the roof on everyone else or kicking them out whilst you flop out downstairs.

You need to get organised, know where everything is, work on getting everything where you can find it when it's pouring with rain and no one wants to step out of your way, which means stepping out of the van.

Upsides? Well, no need to plan where you are going, height barriers normally no problem, low bridges can be as low as they like, where a car can go you can go. Sheer drivability is a joy, whether driving to the South of France or the south side of the supermarket car park.

Inside, a surprising amount of space once roof is raised and seats turned round. Can be a pain cooking in it and a joy when sun's out, stored table and chairs are out, barbie is out and wine is out.

If I had to sum it up: When I had my A class, or my caravan, I dreaded rolling it out of the drive. With the Cali I'm always looking for opportunities to get the wheels rolling.

We owned a Knaus 6m 6 berth fully winterized for ten years. Every trip had to be planned to avoid low bridges narrow lanes and I never found the driving part of it an enjoyable experience. Lots of rattles noise and dread. We are now three months into owning our first California and it is a steep learning curve. If I had to give advice based on my experience so far I would say:
1. Get a water proof topper from Comfort and a bellows band from the club.
2. Always check the weather reports before you plan your stay anywhere
3. Basic catering is the norm
4. A good sleeping bag is essential.
5. Practice getting in and out of the top bed.
6. If you are a light sleeper get some ear plugs.
7.Stay on sites with good facilities.
8 Buy a good porta potti.
9. When lowering the bellows stand with your back to the panel your head in the top checking the bellows is folding in and not blowing out toward the scissors.

Would I go back to a big box? Absolutely not. I have just aquired a Vango Idris awning and that might be part of the learning curve and the adventure.

Hi everybody

however find that in reality that is doesn't get the used enough to justify the costs running several vehicles. My thoughts are if I replace my car and motorhome for a Cali then I can cut a lot of running costs. keep the camper on my drive and hopefully have some wonderful adventures.

Matthew

Exactly what we did - went from a Roller Team 700 to a Cali, gets used most weeks rather than the big white box which did a couple of weeks in france a year and that was about it. No regrets.

Hello Smudger, and welcome.

We never owned a Motorhome, but we regularly hired them before we bought our own Camper. When we were looking to buy, our original intention was to get hold of a Motorhome of our own. It was only when we started looking and accidentally came across a second hand one at a showroom, that we became aware Cali's existed!

We asked ourselves all the same questions. Will we manage with the reduced size etc etc. But our gut feel told us that, despite it's modest size, a whole world of adventure probably awaited.

Eighteen months on, and I can state without any hesitation, we made the right choice. There are pros and cons as others have mentioned here, but we wouldn't swap the flexibility and convenience for a second. We'd confess we've added a few things along the way. A drive away awning has given us some welcome additional space. We're now at a point that, in real terms, the space we have, once setup, isn't that different than we had in a Motorhome. The added bonus being we can go 'smaller' if we wish to.

My tip though. If in doubt, hire one for a weekend and see how you get on. I'm sure you'll love it.

Good luck.

Small buttons on a phone.like and disagree close together. Was sure it was "like" that came through on 2nd click. Definitely like your post :)

Thanks Sp0_0k. And apologies if my query came across a little grumpy. It wasn't meant to be. Perils of posting first thing in the morning :)

Completely agree regarding the proximity of the buttons. Sometimes been afraid of hitting 'Agree' in case I hit 'Disagree' by accident. Especially after a few glasses of vino ;)

Agree. Lightweight sleeping bag/quilt etc: because of the heater. I believe the No1 accessory because it turns the California into a 365 day Leisure Vehicle.
The California is small and perfectly formed. Ok the VW California doesn't have a built in toilet or shower or 50" plasma screen but it can go places others cannot. Don't have to park with the HGV's, don't have to bother about low bridges, well only those less than 2m if you have a roof box or VW bike rack.:D
Hire before you buy unless you and the family are very sure.:thumb

Well what a warm welcome and thanks for all your feedback on my situation, got to say I am impressed with your interest. I love the idea of owning a Calafornia and been able to just have it ready on the drive to getaway at short notice. I've located a company based in Preston who hire the new Calafornia T6 out +ÂŁ250 for the weekend out of season, think this would be money well spent. My only concerns are getting my order on the system in case Volkswagen have a price increase because of the falling pound against the euro, don't want to wait to long. Very tempted to just go and place my deposit. I then need to unload my Hymer & car

Well what a warm welcome and thanks for all your feedback on my situation, got to say I am impressed with your interest. I love the idea of owning a Calafornia and been able to just have it ready on the drive to getaway at short notice. I've located a company based in Preston who hire the new Calafornia T6 out +ÂŁ250 for the weekend out of season, think this would be money well spent. My only concerns are getting my order on the system in case Volkswagen have a price increase because of the falling pound against the euro, don't want to wait to long. Very tempted to just go and place my deposit. I then need to unload my Hymer & car
Ordering now would be a good idea as you probably wouldn't get delivery until early 2017 . My Dealer only required a ÂŁ500 deposit.
Price rises due to currency fluctuation are a possibility but VW still need to sell vehicles in the UK so who knows what may happen.

I bought some wheels from Germany on referendum day just before the pound tanked. Yesterday they were 10% more expensive to buy. It might only be a matter of time before some European-manufactured vehicles see related price hikes for the UK.

Small point Smugder75 but its a California - only 2 A's ...... there's on one F in California and thats all that matters really

Small point Smugder75 but its a California - only 2 A's ...... there's on one F in California and thats all that matters really
Saw that to but was not going to correct him in his welcome post .
Bit further down his post he did wrote correct.
Hey , i make more language mistakes writing in Englisch , but i am from Belgium and speak Dutch as native language;)
We all do our best

I bought some wheels from Germany on referendum day just before the pound tanked. Yesterday they were 10% more expensive to buy. It might only be a matter of time before some European-manufactured vehicles see related price hikes for the UK.

Small retailers might well be affected by currency fluctuations but a company the size of VW play the currency markets in order to smooth such fluctuations out and are less likely to be affected. Also they need to sell vehicles in many markets. I would have thought inflation and interest rates would have a bigger effect.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)As long as you can sign your name on the bottom of the order form this weekend when you put down your deposit you got nothing to worry about!
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Just spent 30 mins buying some food, 30 mins packing the Cali and now ready to head off somewhere (tonight's weather forecast will help me decide) tomorrow with my kids for a night away and a different view in the morning!