Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

With all that's happening... what do you think about keeping/buying California diesels right now?

M

Meerkat1234

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We have a Cali that's less than a year old, we love it. We've been asked by others about whether we think it's a good idea to buy one now, given:
a) the electric version is out in the UK in Autumn '19
b) all the anti-diesel moves by the govt

We just don't know what to say. Would you say go for a Diesel or wait for the Electric if you were buying now? And if you have a relatively new one, is anyone spurred/worried enough to sell their Cali because of the electric offering and/or the anti-diesel moves (blocked from entering cities, higher rates of tax etc)?

We've just swopped our other car and wanted to go electric but the cars were either comparatively far too expensive or not very good so we've opted for a diesel. I find it hard to believe that VW will be able to pull a great electric California out of the hat especially as it is already close to 3 tonnes so what's it going to weigh with a tonne of batteries strapped underneath.

We've just swopped our other car and wanted to go electric but the cars were either comparatively far too expensive or not very good so we've opted for a diesel. I find it hard to believe that VW will be able to pull a great electric California out of the hat especially as it is already close to 3 tonnes so what's it going to weigh with a tonne of batteries strapped underneath.
4 tonnes ?? :D

We have a Cali that's less than a year old, we love it. We've been asked by others about whether we think it's a good idea to buy one now, given:
a) the electric version is out in the UK in Autumn '19
b) all the anti-diesel moves by the govt

We just don't know what to say. Would you say go for a Diesel or wait for the Electric if you were buying now? And if you have a relatively new one, is anyone spurred/worried enough to sell their Cali because of the electric offering and/or the anti-diesel moves (blocked from entering cities, higher rates of tax etc)?
Do you think the electric Cali will be here in 2019? My info is 2022 maybe but as things stand with range and charging availabilty I would bet on diesel for a long time to come. Others will argue:Nailbiting

As far as i know there is only the diesel option on the Cali,
so what message are VW giving there?

They're now doing a Passat hybrid with a 1.4 tsi petrol.
It will take a few years yet to know which way they're going.

The all electric Cali is going to be called the shopping trolley, because that’s all it will be useful for, a quick trip to the shops and back.
Imo a year after it rolls out of the factory, the 300 mile (at new range) currently being touted by VW regarding the electric Transporter, will most certainly be reduced considerably by the natural process of charging the batteries, let alone when you turn the lights A/c and radio, sat nav on, you may, if your lucky make it to your nearest dealer to demand your ÂŁ80+k back. Good luck with that one !

You’ll then have an Uber expensive shed parked on your driveway! Or a mahoosive bill for a replacement battery set, which you won’t actually own anyway!

Tech has some considerable way to go to catch up with before the enthusiastic hearalding of the all electric lesuire vehicle.
Let alone the fact that the average campsite will not be able to provide the kWh required to charge the batteries and still operate the rest of the vehicle whilst camping!

Just my thoughts, but hey apparently I’m being negative ( reference to another thread) I say pragmatic.

I hope I’m wrong, but doubt it.

Diesel will still be king for a period of time when it comes to a lesuire vehicle required to cover a considerable distance comfortably, whilst offering the same capabilities as the current Diesel offerings

I've stressed a little over this but am fretting less now than previously. It is more of an issue for us vs buyers of regular cars, as campervans retain their value simply because they have such long lives.
The all elec Cali WON'T be here in 2019.
We all accept that our Cali's go out of date... Euro 5 becomes 6, one worktop becomes a split worktop etc. But if an elec Cali appears in 2021, then I'll feel sorry for those early adopters when the next upgrade in 2023 has twice the range of their 2 year old vans. That's rather a bigger deal than a cosmetic makeover of a dash.
Hybrids would have been a good solution but the Government has decreed they will be banned in 2040 just like non hybrids. As long as diesel trucks are still running until 2050, that gives even a new van 31 years before the scrapper, which is probably longer than I've got!

An electric Cali based on the T6 or T7 in it's form it's been announced is (California) dreaming ...never will be on the market .
Petrol version is no longer availeble .
Diesel will be there for a loooong time .
Maybe LPG or other gaz ....?

Some reading:

Good evening,

I thought about this too. Only 1 1/2 years ago spend so much in a vehicle with diesel engine.

But even though the various governments in various countries declared some popular targets it doesn't mean they can be implemented.

It is not only our California vans that have the diesel engines. Millions of builder's vans, trucks and cars are on the roads. Who has the money to replace them all? Many of them just bought recently, with a usage time of 10 or 15 years?

I am for change, but not that radical and quickly. It took 90 years to get were we are. Ok, it might not be the right place environmentally , but it is what it is. The first step is to reduce emissions and while doing this keep people moving. Change the way were people live and work (less commuting), expand and improve public transport, look for more alternatives.

The Irish goverment wishes to encourage house owners to environmentally improve their houses. Yes, grands are available, but they only cover a fraction of the cost. Who can afford improvements and pay ten thousands of Euro for it? This will only work if those improvements will be totally paid by the goverment.

This might be equal to electric cars. My wife needed to change car. She was interested in a hybrid. I love VW, but the only offer was a Golf GT or something (can't remember) for over EUR 40,000! For have the price she got a Toyota with an average consumption of about 4 l of 100 km. Fully electric cars are expensive and complicate daily live (planning ahead). The only way that electric cars are sold more is to make them cheaper as the petrol or diesel equivalent. I can't see this happening.

I believe that I can use the California as long as I drive safely when I get older. Will the next generation have the same freedom of movement? Well, I believe yes, but maybe in a totally different way as we are used to. What way this is future will tell.

Regards,
Eberhard

Aren't trucks going to Hydrogen. You can refuel them, just like diesel, so range is limitless (providing you are going were trucks go). I just can't see electric being the future. The infrastructure costs are prohibitive for a start. Major changes to the National Grid would be required to put large recharging stations up and down the motorways. Just my thoughts.

We were about to order a Golf GTE in 2017 and then VW "postponed orders" owing to some waffle about having to pass the new/stricter emissions testing (naughty boys). 2 years on and they're still not taking orders makes me think something isn't right and VW have some catching up to do to get anywhere near a full electric with a usable 300 mile range in a fat bus.

There is that prototype e-bulli floating around but that seems to be less camper more airport/people carrier and would be fine for shorter journeys. It looks nice and I dare say my 7 year old boy will have fun trading in our 2.0 dirty diesel against one in a few decades time.

I think electric campers are a great idea in theory but the infrastructure just isn't there yet and could you imagine pulling up to the campsite and plugging your van into their puny hook-up? When the site goes black and the owner wanders over; Him: "that power cable looks a bit serious" You: "umm, yep it's just using the fridge quite a lot"

Personally I think Electric could be redundant quicker than diesel.

There seems to be a certain myopia going on, but then when it comes to political footballs our glorious leaders have shown themselves to be gloriously blind on many occasions.

Diesel is not a power source you would want to have spluttering away near where our children breath. However between those places where people live in concentrations there simply will never be the range or fast charging to allow for electric to replace diesel. It will have to be something else, something that can be poured into a container that goes into the vehicle and poured in as quickly as happens now with FF.

I would not have sleepless nights buying a diesel camper right now.

We were about to order a Golf GTE in 2017 and then VW "postponed orders" owing to some waffle about having to pass the new/stricter emissions testing (naughty boys). 2 years on and they're still not taking orders makes me think something isn't right and VW have some catching up to do to get anywhere near a full electric with a usable 300 mile range in a fat bus.

There is that prototype e-bulli floating around but that seems to be less camper more airport/people carrier and would be fine for shorter journeys. It looks nice and I dare say my 7 year old boy will have fun trading in our 2.0 dirty diesel against one in a few decades time.

I think electric campers are a great idea in theory but the infrastructure just isn't there yet and could you imagine pulling up to the campsite and plugging your van into their puny hook-up? When the site goes black and the owner wanders over; Him: "that power cable looks a bit serious" You: "umm, yep it's just using the fridge quite a lot"
I've seen some campsites with signs stating " No Charging of Electric Vehicles Allowed " .

Our local dealer has a 2 year old VW transporter Petrol van forsale for over a year with no offers they tell me you can order any VW diesel van for delivery in 6-8 weeks
Yesterday I travelled to Oxford with an elderly guy who had to stop at every motorway service on the way Not one electric car was using any of the normal charge points , and the Tesila charge points 8 of them tucked away round the back only one car was using one point ( you cant be disabled owning one of these cars as you have a long walk )

I am going to keep my trustworthy diesel untill there is something really worth buying. And then I don't mean a facelift of a facelift of a facelift of a face............ of the T5 California.

An electric campervan is about as dumb as a diesel powered lamp in your bedroom.just go and buy a diesel. If the government won't sort out alternatives what do they want you to do?its ok banning everything but they MUST give Joe public another option. It's ok in London with the tube and charging points but when you try to get to work in Sheffield at 5am you HAVE to drive.

I have this theory that rocking up at a campsite with flat batteries could prove a costly experience. A lot of sites already charge well over the odds for an electric hook up, just imagine what it will cost for a re-charge on a 50amp circuit. (If you could find one) One thing is that fossil fuel for motor vehicles is charged at 58ppl + VAT. Now that's a lot of tax revenue to recover, so don't think for one minute that HMRC won't be wanting their pound of flesh when you charge up. Charging a vehicle at domestic rates for electricity is a fantasy. Add a premium to build half a dozen new power stations to take up the slack and suddenly electric vehicles don't seem that viable.

These posts about electric Cali's and electric vehicles in general capture pretty much all the issues. Right now an electric car is for round the doors when you can return every night to your own charging post. An electric Cali (must be over ÂŁ70k I reckon) would be an extremely foolish purchase. Unless its a shopping trolley!!

I have always thought that putting charge points on lamp posts in urban areas was the way to go. Until I realised that all of said lamp posts would need to have their supply up-graded to something like 30-100 amps per lamp post rather than the 5 amps they are now. Somewhat more costly.

Alan

I have always thought that putting charge points on lamp posts in urban areas was the way to go. Until I realised that all of said lamp posts would need to have their supply up-graded to something like 30-100 amps per lamp post rather than the 5 amps they are now. Somewhat more costly.

Alan
Aah, not as simple as a straightforward Charging Point, wherever it is. You will be charged for using it so there will have to be a Card Reader of some sort and the Electronics/connections to send and verify the Card Data and measure how much has been used etc: etc:
If a Membership system is used that is not Universal then you might have to join multiple " Charging " groups etc: with multiple subscriptions and so on, unless of course you just use your own domestic supply.
One way or another you will pay through the nose.

Some Charging Points might be free at the moment but that won't last. Just like the rapidly disappearing Free ATM's.

Aah, not as simple as a straightforward Charging Point, wherever it is. You will be charged for using it so there will have to be a Card Reader of some sort and the Electronics/connections to send and verify the Card Data and measure how much has been used etc: etc:
If a Membership system is used that is not Universal then you might have to join multiple " Charging " groups etc: with multiple subscriptions and so on, unless of course you just use your own domestic supply.
One way or another you will pay through the nose.

Some Charging Points might be free at the moment but that won't last. Just like the rapidly disappearing Free ATM's.
There is every chance that the very high amperage chargers will be specifically taxed in the future, easy to identify by the government and proof the user is well heeled/an easy touch.
That future fuel tax hole will need to be filled somehow.

The great getaways at Easter, Witsun, School holidays and Christmas will become a thing of the past. How would you manage with a Caravan. Sunny weekend and everyone heads for the Beach with the family.

Major,major social changes will be needed with a significant change to the standard of living and leisure life.

Back