Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

WLTP tyre requirements

Explorer

Explorer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I noticed a few posts about wheel/tyre sizes not being available due to requirements to meet new WLTP emissions testing (some old posts and some new).

I was just wondering what is listed in the newer manufacturers manual? If bigger tyres didn’t pass the emissions test does fitting them after affect the type approval and insurance?

Purely out of interest so hope okay to post.

I noticed a few posts about wheel/tyre sizes not being available due to requirements to meet new WLTP emissions testing (some old posts and some new).

I was just wondering what is listed in the newer manufacturers manual? If bigger tyres didn’t pass the emissions test does fitting them after affect the type approval and insurance?

Purely out of interest so hope okay to post.
The tyre sizes allowed are indicated on a sticker on the drivers door B pillar. Keep to those sizes and there are no problems. If your vehicle came with 17" wheels and you change to 18" VW wheels then use the recommended size tyres for the 18" wheels.
If you fit non-standard wheels or tyres then you should inform your Insurance company.
In the UK as long as the Emission tests are passed the authorities are not interested in any modifications as long as the Mot is passed with the modifications in place.
In other countries it can be very difficult to carry out any such modifications that are not covered by the vehicle Certificate of Conformity.

The tyre sizes allowed are indicated on a sticker on the drivers door B pillar. Keep to those sizes and there are no problems. If your vehicle came with 17" wheels and you change to 18" VW wheels then use the recommended size tyres for the 18" wheels.
If you fit non-standard wheels or tyres then you should inform your Insurance company.
In the UK as long as the Emission tests are passed the authorities are not interested in any modifications as long as the Mot is passed with the modifications in place.
In other countries it can be very difficult to carry out any such modifications that are not covered by the vehicle Certificate of Conformity.
Really interesting it changes by country too. Though I wonder if uk will tighten up as there is a tax advantage if you meet RDE2.

Really interesting it changes by country too. Though I wonder if uk will tighten up as there is a tax advantage if you meet RDE2.
Seeing as the Mot emissions tests are much less involved/strict than the new vehicle Euro tests I very much doubt it. Besides the Mot doesn't involve rolling road emissions measurements.

Back