Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Workshop for Hire by the day/hour?

kurienp

kurienp

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Is anyone aware if there are workshop spaces for hire by the hour or day - preferably with a lift that is rated for a Cali or a service pit where the underside can be inspected? don't need tools - just space to inspect.

Funny you should say that i am looking to buy a unit were i can let out for people to work on their own vehicles for a daily or weekly rate not in berkshire though anyone have any thoughts as to whether its a good idea

Funny you should say that i am looking to buy a unit were i can let out for people to work on their own vehicles for a daily or weekly rate not in berkshire though anyone have any thoughts as to whether its a good idea

I personally think that will be a good idea. If there is a small parking area, for us coming from further away, we can make a trip out of it.

I have also been considering purchase of a classic car ... and the only reason why I have shied away has been the lack of space to work on it. I have even considered digging a inspection/work pit in my parking lot --- that is how desperate I am :D

I did get in touch with a few small garages nearby, but the challenge with them was a 3+ ton lift (which I suspect garages should have) ... or I guess they just used that as an excuse to say no.

It’s a gap in the market, I was looking for a space to do a van conversion and could not find one anywhere. For it to be viable, how much would you have to charge, and how does that compare with paying an indie to do the work instead? A big space with lifts would be amazing.

I think the problem with this is often insurance, liability, and vehicles being dismantled and then unable to be removed from the ramp due to missing parts

I think the problem with this is often insurance, liability, and vehicles being dismantled and then unable to be removed from the ramp due to missing parts
This may be why it’s not already a thing. Non professionals welding their rusty transit van and setting it on fire.

That made me chuckle. Insurance and Liability is easy to manage. it is the other part of "vehicles being dismantled and then unable to be removed" :D which may prove to be a bigger challenge.

Many years ago there was a DIY garage in Gosport, Hampshire. You could book workshop space for DIY work but I don’t think it lasted. As has been said the practicalities of insurance, health and safety etc probably did for it!

OK - found a gem, right here at my doorstep - https://thisisyourgarage.com/ . Right next to Volkstechnics in Oxford. Been searching for many months ... but this never came up in my search until now.

Sounds good. £20 by the hour ... including tools. Have written to check if they have a weight-rated lift for the Cali.

If you are unable to put things together, I am sure some mechanics from Volkstechnics may be available to help. :D

OK - found a gem, right here at my doorstep - https://thisisyourgarage.com/ . Right next to Volkstechnics in Oxford. Been searching for many months ... but this never came up in my search until now.

Sounds good. £20 by the hour ... including tools. Have written to check if they have a weight-rated lift for the Cali.

If you are unable to put things together, I am sure some mechanics from Volkstechnics may be available to help. :D
Looks pretty good for £20.

Starting a business like this is fraught with legal and safety problems..yes insurance would be a nightmare and you would probably have to have someone on site whenever anyone was working there. Preferably someone who could give skilled advice in both Mechanics and health and safety.
However if you are determined then good luck.
When I started my business because of a possible safety issue they wanted £20,000 for a first years insurance..Reducing every year if no claims were made..I chose to take the risk and in 15 years there’s never been a problem..

Great idea from a prospective client point of view, but I had a mate who had one in the Midlands, near a large conurbation (tools and ramp) and he struggled to make a go of it. If I remember right the insurance was the killer - extremely difficult to get and expensive !

Back