Worrying, What’s available out there.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion

Not good, presumably it won't work with newer cars that have more sophisticated encoding.

I've changed my garage to HomeKit control now for several reasons (mainly because I was fed of of looking for the fobs in my wife's coat pockets) but it's definitely got security advantages (both from duplicators like the ones above but also me losing the fob outside somewhere) plus I can talk to the van using the CarPlay Siri button and get the door open to use my Apple Watch when I'm returning on my bicycle :)

Not good, presumably it won't work with newer cars that have more sophisticated encoding.

I've changed my garage to HomeKit control now for several reasons (mainly because I was fed of of looking for the fobs in my wife's coat pockets) but it's definitely got security advantages (both from duplicators like the ones above but also me losing the fob outside somewhere) plus I can talk to the van using the CarPlay Siri button and get the door open to use my Apple Watch when I'm returning on my bicycle :)
Hi Nolan, how did you change to this, was it simple to do and did you need to purchase anything to do it, we have a Teckentrup door with fob electric opener and really like the idea of using the phone. Any help much appreciated.

Hi Nolan, how did you change to this, was it simple to do and did you need to purchase anything to do it, we have a Teckentrup door with fob electric opener and really like the idea of using the phone. Any help much appreciated.
I'm sorry it's taken me a while to reply.

Unfortunately it's not completely straightforward, especially as the device I used (the Belkin Wemo Maker) isn't made any more.

To get the Wemo Maker working with the garage door was reasonably simple, my (fairly generic) garage door opener unit has a key switch input, as do many of them, so you can mount a key switch to the outside of the garage as an alternative to using the fob.

I tested the key switch input by simply shorting the terminals and verifying the door was triggered.

The Wemo Maker is/was designed for doors/gates/blinds etc and also has a pair of terminals that you could remotely close with the Wemo phone app so I connected this to the garage door unit and it worked pretty well although it could be a bit flaky if the phone happened to be transferring from mobile date to the house wireless right when I wanted to open the door as sometimes this would take a few seconds.

I'm not sure what is a new equivalent of the Belkin Wemo Maker, I did take a look but couldn't see anything obvious. Touch wood, mine has been working for 5 years relatively undisturbed.

I'm sorry it's taken me a while to reply.

Unfortunately it's not completely straightforward, especially as the device I used (the Belkin Wemo Maker) isn't made any more.

To get the Wemo Maker working with the garage door was reasonably simple, my (fairly generic) garage door opener unit has a key switch input, as do many of them, so you can mount a key switch to the outside of the garage as an alternative to using the fob.

I tested the key switch input by simply shorting the terminals and verifying the door was triggered.

The Wemo Maker is/was designed for doors/gates/blinds etc and also has a pair of terminals that you could remotely close with the Wemo phone app so I connected this to the garage door unit and it worked pretty well although it could be a bit flaky if the phone happened to be transferring from mobile date to the house wireless right when I wanted to open the door as sometimes this would take a few seconds.

I'm not sure what is a new equivalent of the Belkin Wemo Maker, I did take a look but couldn't see anything obvious. Touch wood, mine has been working for 5 years relatively undisturbed.
Ah okay, thanks Nolan. Bit more complicated than I expected. Thanks anyway

Back