Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Xmas gift ideas

B

BeeBee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Got two good ideas from the forum for wee Xmas gifts, particularly useful for ‘Newbies’.
1) ‘Take the Slow Road’ Scotland
Book series.(England / Wales / Ireland
also available)
2) Campervan log book and journal.
Amazon

Which log book do you recommend - have you got the link as there are quite a few on there?

Agree about Slow Road books they’re very good. I’ve read Scotland cover to cover, and I have a feeling I might be getting England & Wales ;)

For a log book, we use an A5 Black & Red book.

Got two good ideas from the forum for wee Xmas gifts, particularly useful for ‘Newbies’.
also available)
Amazon
We have had the full set of ‘Slow Road’ books since they were first published, enjoyable reads and ideal for gifts.

Well last year’s ideas went down well. Now for this year’s…. How about some Xmas gift ideas folks , it’s not like you never buy anything …. LOL

‘Slow road’ campervan cooking book? Some good simple recipes .

also available)
Amazon
When it comes to log books you could do worse that give your loved one a subscription to the Day One App £30

I use it for all my travels in and out of the Van. It allows rich entries, audio, video and photos as well as automatic weather and location import.

Written journals are great, but sometimes they can be a little limiting.

Day one also allows export to pdf and printed books.

When it comes to log books you could do worse that give your loved one a subscription to the Day One App £30

I use it for all my travels in and out of the Van. It allows rich entries, audio, video and photos as well as automatic weather and location import.

Written journals are great, but sometimes they can be a little limiting.

Day one also allows export to pdf and printed books.

Just for info’ Apple iOS 17.2 soon to be released includes a Journal so maybe wait and save the £30 for something else?

The Journal appThe headline feature of iOS 17.2 is definitely the Journal app. This is a whole new app, which Apple announced as part of iOS 17, but which is only now set to land. This app will – as you might expect – let you keep a journal, by adding text, images, videos, and audio.

Just for info’ Apple iOS 17.2 soon to be released includes a Journal so maybe wait and save the £30 for something else?

The Journal appThe headline feature of iOS 17.2 is definitely the Journal app. This is a whole new app, which Apple announced as part of iOS 17, but which is only now set to land. This app will – as you might expect – let you keep a journal, by adding text, images, videos, and audio.
Yes you are right. I haven’t looked at that journal app yet, maybe later today, and I am sure that it will be adequate.

As a rule new Apple apps are usually quite limited in functionality, they lack the whistles and bells. Day one is a very mature offering which makes it very easy to produce rich content. It also comes with a free limited option.

I’ll review apple’s journal later

Yes you are right. I haven’t looked at that journal app yet, maybe later today, and I am sure that it will be adequate.

As a rule new Apple apps are usually quite limited in functionality, they lack the whistles and bells. Day one is a very mature offering which makes it very easy to produce rich content. It also comes with a free limited option.

I’ll review apple’s journal later
iOS 17.2 not released yet. Expected early December.

iOS 17.2 not released yet. Expected early December.
I’m a programmer when not building acoustic guitars, I have the Beta downloaded.

Just checked out the App and my suggestion in post #9 still stands. A Day One subscription would be a great Christmas present.

Apple’s Journal app is basic, barely a step up from the Notes app as far as I can see. You can’t even format fonts easily. More disappointing than I thought it would be to be honest.

I have no doubts that it will improve over the years but at present it looks like something I could have programmed in a day. Sorry.

Last edited:
I’m a programmer when not building acoustic guitars, I have the Beta downloaded.

Just checked out the App and my suggestion in post #9 still stands. A Day One subscription would be a great Christmas present.

Apple’s Journal app is basic, barely a step up from the Notes app as far as I can see. You can’t even format fonts easily. More disappointing than I thought it would be to be honest.

I have no doubts that it will improve over the years but at present it looks like something I could have programmed in a day. Sorry.
No skin off my nose @The Tall Luthier , I’m not a commissioned salesman for Apple :)

Well, last year got ‘Take the Slow Road’ Scotland. Yesterday, got the last copy in the shop of ‘Take the Slow Road’ England and Wales. Hope he likes it … lol, have done most of our trips so far in Scotland.

ooh, a ‘luthier’, you could be promoting half size wee guitars for easy transport and occasional community enjoyment on camp sites .

Hoping for slow Road Ireland this year, had Scotland last year

ooh, a ‘luthier’, you could be promoting half size wee guitars for easy transport and occasional community enjoyment on camp sites .
This one fits, almost perfectly, in the wardrobe.
The enjoyment would have to come from others though I am afraid. i dont perform too well. ;)
Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 15.39.20.png

Back