Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

You only get a first impression once..

HectorPascal

HectorPascal

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Good evening reader,

My Missus and I have just returned from our first week in a rented 2015 180 SE 4-Motion Cali as part of our preparations for becoming fully fledged Cali owners. I have recorded a few observations here just in case it is of any interest to people, perhaps in the same situation.

We deliberately chose October as we thought it might reflect better on the realities of Cali-living and show up any shortcomings as neither of us have any experience of tenting or camping. We extravagantly joined the Caravan Club for a year even though we doubt we will use it again in the next 12 months.

My daily car for the last 8 years has been a Merc E320 estate which is a pretty flawless bit of motor car. We plan to use the VW as a replacement.

Would we find a panel-van comfy? Would we find the whole campsite thing a bit of a drag? Would we actually try to cook a meal on a double gas-ring and very little space? Would we find it cold? And would we find the beers and white wine cold enough? Could we contemplate wafting off to Southern Europe for a month in this thing? Questions, lots of them.

Driving the Cali:
Great! This vehicle is probably easier to cover long distances in than the E320 - really. The Cali cruises solid-as-a-rock at (ahem) 80 mph and the cruise control is better than the Merc. MPG is a bit off as you would expect (more air to shove out of the way) - we got 29mpg and this was verifying exactly the trip computer's 'long term figure' by calculation at the pump. In other road situations it is a nice thing to drive with the extra eye height always welcome. The 7-speed DSG auto is a peach.

Sleeping:
Very, very comfortable upstairs (why do we call it that when there are no stairs). Super control of ventilation
and the programmable parking heater is nice in the morning. Easy enough to wriggle down from with sixth-decade stiffness and a snap to push to roof up for a pot of coffee. If you need to answer the call of nature in the middle of the night - surely shoddy planning - then it's a good idea to remember to de-activate the alarm before hauling on the sliding-door handle. (If any of our fellow campers last week are reading this, apologies).

Comfort & warmth:
Phew! The Parking Heater is FANTASTIC - sorry for the over-emphasis but it is warranted. Bugs in rugs never had it this good. The control panel is a wee bit ponderous to use for adjusting temperature though.
It would have been good to experience close to zero degrees C ambient conditions but 5 or 6 was no problem.

Cooking:
My better half is pretty handy at knocking up very tasty fare. On this trip she limited herself to heating pre-preparations and boiling rice etc. but I am sure this is a learned skill over time. It must be fun to cook outside in summertime though. Space is not in abundance obviously and we both played the 'counter-top shuffle' as you place item o the top of the fridge and then need access and vice-versa. Being an organised chef might be an asset in the Cali.

Fridge:
Does it's job well. Too well, in fact, beers need thawing out on the 'max' setting although on one night, whilst we slept with rellies in their house, the fridge gave up due to power conservation we suspect. Surprising after only 18 hours.

Pro's and con's:
It's all been 'Pro's so far. But what about the 'con's'? Just chatting with management whilst writing this I have just asked her what we did not like. Actually, there is nothing if you accept the limitations of the space - no loo etc. - There were a few broken clips and fittings here and there which made us question VW's material specification sometimes but this is probably ham-fisted rental-monkeys like ourselves mis-handling things.
Specification-wise, I would opt for the 204psi 4-motion with 7-Sp DSG (the Lake District's Hard Knott Pass convinced me of this) although a 2WD would have been completely adequate in the sunny, dry conditions we experienced. We would be hanging as many 'toys' on it as we can afford at the time.

Finally, the Caravan Club's facilities were pretty much uniformly superb. Staff were most helpful, courteous and friendly and the whole representing good value.

Now. To work out a financial plan. I think we might need one of those!

untitled.jpg

What a lovely read.

Thank you. It put a nostalgic smile on my face. My first experience of a Cali was in September, a rental, and like yourselves try it before you buy. My deposit went down a week after coming home.

So pleased to hear that you had a good experience Hector and that your management also enjoyed the camper van experience! I have been wondering how you got on.

Great review. Hope you get your Cali ordered soon :happy

We also rented one during the autumn, it was October half term last year, we had a great time even though we packed way too much stuff and a month later we became the proud owners of an extremely low mileage ex demo T5.1 and we've never looked back.

Don't worry about the fridge ours runs for a good few days on the leisure batteries. Also the heater works very well in sub zero temps but we find that it is better to sleep downstairs to get the maximum benefit from it in cold weather.
Get your order in ASAP so you'll have it for summer 2017 or before VW put the price up due to our currency weakness.

Last edited:
Great read and welcome.

Mike

Hi HP,

Really interesting post and something I can relate to. We too hired a Cali for a week three years when we had just one child before being able to actually order one for ourselves but we never forgot how cool the whole Cali thing is. In the three years between trying and buying we had another child and did lots of conventional tenting.

So now we do the worktop shuffle with the kids and let them sleep up top whilst we rearrange the "downstairs" but like all things once you've done a few nights in the van you get into a routine and gradually improve the way you do things, store stuff, and you gradually work out the best way to do things for your unique situation. I think everyone must have different ways to use the vehicle.

Once we had ordered our Cali we spent lots of time discussing where we would put stuff and what things we must buy. But the best advice I got from this forum was to do research but not rush into buying stuff. Just get the van and try it out with what you've got.

We discovered lots of simple things we have around the house are totally suitable for us without buying specific stuff and equipment etc.

So if you enjoyed it, get the order in and have fun thinking about places to go and ways that you might personalise your Cali. I'm just so glad we had the chance to get one and get out with the kids whenever we want and see more of our world out there.

There are tons of options for the California and it's a minefield but if you pick out the essentials then it doesn't have to cost silly money. The DSG is awesome as you say - and you can't add that later but options like the awning or mattress toppers can be added later if you find you need them. But the essentials and things you can't add later. If your budget can stretch to some of the luxuries - great!

Good luck and keep us all posted.

Hello Hector,
Excellent write up.
We have now had our 2015 SE 180 dsg 4motion for one year and I agree with pretty much every thing that you have said. On our first long range trip away we also aimed ours at both the Wrynose and Hardknott passes and it took on both with ease.

With mpg, we normally get mid to late thirties on a long run but I don't normally have a heavy right foot. When we first got our Cali I did acheive just over 44mpg on the computor whilst doing a long economy run. However that was hard work and to be honest I really can't be bothered to drive like that all of the time.

After a while we discovered that the knack when cooking is to get every thing out that you are going to need before starting. If you don't you will be in and out like a fiddlers elbow looking for stuff. We also have a large meat tin that acts as a tall sided tray on the fridge top. You can stand all sorts in it including cups of tea etc. The beauty of this item is you can quickly move all of the stuff off of the fridge top in one go and if your tea spills it is contained within the meat tin/tray.

Our experience of the fridge is that it very effective. If you use it on level 5 it will freeze items at the back of the fridge. So we now stick some freezer blocks in and run it on level 3 and it is fine.

As for the heater, well it is just the best feature on the Cali. Having said that, over the year since we purchased our van we have only had to use it for short periods and we have never used it at night. It's never been that cold in our van.

Anyway, thanks for your great review.

I would agree with Borris, that sounds a little thirsty to me, I think you can expect better than that long term depending on how heavy your foot is. It may have been in regen mode if it has done a lot of short trips, which always drops the mpg a little whilst in effect.

I generally find I get low to mid thirties, you will also find dropping to 75 will make a good mpg difference, 70 more so. As Borris mentioned an economy run should see low 40s or does for me.

With regards to the heater, make sure you run it for a short time each month to ensure it keeps working nicely and doesn't get clogged.

Thanks for all the kind comments and info-nuggets. As ever, a very helpful flow of information and gratefully received too. I think that this forum has played a large part in the appeal of the whole Cali scene for us. I am sure that if - more likely when - we legitimise ourselves by taking the plunge we will have a wealth of support and friendship. Cheers all.

Thanks for all the kind comments and info-nuggets. As ever, a very helpful flow of information and gratefully received too. I think that this forum has played a large part in the appeal of the whole Cali scene for us. I am sure that if - more likely when - we legitimise ourselves by taking the plunge we will have a wealth of support and friendship. Cheers all.

btw, I see there are about 9500 members of this forum. Anyone know the history of the forum and the numbers from other countries. It would be interesting.

I don't think you can expect an SE 180 4-motion doing 80 to be achieving more than 29-30.
Our 140SE fully loaded doing an indicated 90 abroad has averaged between 34-36mpg on the last 3 trips/6000 miles I would expect a 180 to be as good if not better at these speeds. Higher external temps account for the couple of MPG difference with the aircon working hard when its 40+ outside.

We also have a large meat tin that acts as a tall sided tray on the fridge top. You can stand all sorts in it including cups of tea etc. The beauty of this item is you can quickly move all of the stuff off of the fridge top in one go and if your tea spills it is contained within the meat tin/tray.

Nice idea Borris, must try that. You're not just a pretty face. :Grin

I use the Outwell folding basin in lieu of a meat tin. Does the same easy stored but useless for cooking.

Average mpg so far 3000 miles from new. 34.7.

Usual mpg on long trip of circa 100 miles 37.5

150. DSG.

Happy with that so far. About to top up the adblue this weekend.

Yep, picked that to up too!

But where do you store the tin while driving? Full of kitchen stuff and on the shelves?

One of the few things we have bought prior to ownership is two bar towels for this purpose. They will take hot stuff and can be slid from fridge to elsewhere.

Edit: They happen to be GlenFarclas towels from the distillery.

Last edited:
Yes we have tried a tray as Boris, but now use a padded mat as it folds up and we slide the items on top of the fridge over to the cooker cover etc. It also absorbs any spillages!

Hmmm... some good ideas here. Fav so far is the metal tray because you can lift it with contents onto the seat, floor or simply wing it out of the door.

This is great minutiae! (I had to dictionary.com the spelling there)

You can strap the table to the seat back, there is a picture on here somewhere, that gives you extra prep surface space and you can still open the fridge.

Thankee! Just the job.
Also useful, as a large one to rest on the armrests of the front seats when turned around. Also they nest inside each other, so I have 4 in various sizes.