Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Your adwise before i visit the workshop....

Jonas R.

Jonas R.

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Hi folks!

I drive a Cali Exclusive, -01, 220´km

Runs perfect, but after long drives i can hear a "metallic-like" sound. I cant hear it inside the van, but loud and clear outside. Anyone who´s familiar with this akward sound/noise?

U can listen to the noise via the link below----->

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PjGTiaB6errsv0su1

//Jonas

Sounds like a loose tappet to me. I believe they are hydraulic and sometimes can fail. Not a major issue but well worth getting it looked at. Probably happens after a long drive as the oil is thinner when it’s hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also. Out of interest. Have you had the oil changed recently?

There’s every chance some fresh oil will fix it. Only one way to find out… It could also only be temporary or if your garage can flush the engine before putting new oil in it might just be a small blockage that is stopping the tappet to charge to a high enough oil pressure.

It’s your brake servo vacuum pump.

Common fail on these engines.
Pump the brake pedal a few times and it’ll go away briefly.

Approx £130 to fix. Dead easy. Buy quality not Ebay Chinese garb.

Sounds like the noise my air con compressor made on my old Peugeot. If you can get hold of an engineers stethoscope you should be able to identify where the noise is coming from.

If you can get hold of an engineers stethoscope.

.....a long handle screwdriver, place the tip on the suspect item and your ear against the end of the handle.

.....a long handle screwdriver, place the tip on the suspect item and your ear against the end of the handle.
Agree, just take your tie off and if you have long hair put a hat on!

It’s your brake servo vacuum pump.

Common fail on these engines.
Pump the brake pedal a few times and it’ll go away briefly.

Approx £130 to fix. Dead easy. Buy quality not Ebay Chinese garb.

I’d suspected this too. Would it not make the noise straight away though if it was the vac pump, rather than after a decent drive?

I agree. Both of mine have always been noisy from the start. Who knows, it may be just in the process of failing ?

It’s a easy diagnosis by pumping the brake pedal. :thumb

I agree. Both of mine have always been noisy from the start. Who knows, it may be just in the process of failing ?

It’s a easy diagnosis by pumping the brake pedal. :thumb

Certainly a cheaper diagnosis than a failing tappet.

Back