Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Zonesleep Ultra - Replacement Upstairs Mattress

Speleo62

Speleo62

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We have been testing the prototype of the zonesleep ultra replacement upper mattress for Everything California shop
It fits well up top, prototype didn’t have the Velcro but we didn’t find it moved when putting up the roof for more head room. The end mattress needs to stay in place as it only replaces the main mattress.
Mattress cover is removable. It has 3 layers. It’s really comfy to sleep on. I find upstairs too hard but slept well on this. We use a sleeping bag, so not so sure what a sheet on top would be like. No problem putting roof down, fit well. No idea of price yet, waiting for news on this from shop. See photos.

F60750F1-C84A-4E4C-9042-6F8E8BB3D50A.jpeg

8D2AD53C-8BBD-4A51-9907-E51EE409C6FE.jpeg

25C28600-C07C-468D-8F1E-CA8FFEF2F23B.jpeg

D735C7DB-DBD9-4636-9FF3-53F596D60A2D.jpeg

1895B3B3-B6D4-4B89-B92E-9D3F42B92F23.jpeg

8E4CA8CA-F945-4B7C-AFF0-6E2068E8694E.jpeg

That looks nice does it replace the whole Vw foam mattress? Can you shut the roof with it in place? When will they be available?
Thanks

I like the look of that my upstairs mattress is so hard

That looks nice does it replace the whole Vw foam mattress? Can you shut the roof with it in place? When will they be available?
Thanks
yes it stays in place, you do have to take the VW out and leave at home. Awaiting on shop for delivery, they are waiting for a container i believe, so will be a couple of months i expect. They are not cheap, we haven't paid for ours yet!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a bit tricky to tell from the photos what the makeup of this is - is it zone sleep mesh top and bottom and then foam / memory foam in the middle? Or is it 3 layers of zone sleep?

It's a bit tricky to tell from the photos what the makeup of this is - is it zone sleep mesh top and bottom and then foam / memory foam in the middle? Or is it 3 layers of zone sleep?
Not entirely sure, think it’s zone sleep with memory foam in the middle. Calikev or Nick from the shop will hopefully tell us. It is comfy though. Only problem is where and how to store the VW mattress!

This could be the solution I have been waiting for, I really suffer when sleeping upstairs, especially on my side as I can feel the slats. Looking forward to more information on this, thanks for posting

height and weight ? looks very thin from at the picture ..

I've slept on this a couple of times now and its spot on (I'm obviously quite bias though) I'm a little over 14 stone and 5'10". Made of the Zonesleep spacer fabric but is 60mm thick. I also sleep with a Vango double sleeping bag so have a little more padding there too - but overall much better than the original.

Here's some more pictures....
upload_2018-1-14_17-21-49.jpeg

upload_2018-1-14_17-22-41.jpeg

Currently have the original mattress and put a zonesleep on top. It’s comfy but you start to feel it after about 4 or 5 nights and then there’s the inconvenience of lugging up the zonesleep every night.

Hoping reviewers will tell me this is now more comfortable but would be hesitant to commit to something thinner than my current setup.

I've slept on this a couple of times now and its spot on (I'm obviously quite bias though) I'm a little over 14 stone and 5'10". Made of the Zonesleep spacer fabric but is 60mm thick. I also sleep with a Vango double sleeping bag so have a little more padding there too - but overall much better than the original.

Here's some more pictures....
View attachment 29106

View attachment 29105
is that an ultra too?? or topper on VW mattress

Yes its 60mm thick and made of zonesleep spacer fabric.

is that an ultra too?? or topper on VW mattress
Its the Ultra, whilst i find it perfect for replacing the original mattress up there, its so easy to actually put it up there as its so flexible - it could easily be used as a topper on top of the original mattress too, you'd be really comfy then! :talktothehand

Is the outer cover washable, meaning, can you remove the foam part?
Is it stiff enough to use a fitted sheet?

hi the cover is not removable but the zonesleep lower can be washed so if you found a machine big enough
i cant see why not . i wash my lower in a bathtub.
you can use a fitted sheet on them yes

You can see the Zonesleep Ultra at the Dorset meet next weekend either at the camping meet or the afternoon meet at West Bay.

Hi just to say I went to try out the Zonesleep Ultra mattress today in Nicks van. I really liked it. It is much more flexible than the original and softer, and to me felt much more comfortable than the original VW mattress. Ordered mine today.
I must admit I have only slept on the original one without a topper so I only have that to compare. Just thought someone may be interested. I’d certainly go have a bounce on it to test if it’s the one for you.

Nick very welcoming and happy to show off his bed :thefinger Lol. No on a serious note he couldn’t have been more helpful today. Thanks again Nick.
Jo

No Problem Jo, good luck with the van and pop in anytime :thumb

Hi We have been trialling one of these mattresses as well after making enquiries with Zonesleep over Christmas. We were waiting to write a review after our recent skiing holiday where we were going to be staying in the van. Unfortunately things didn't go quite to plan! We just got past Geneva and our drive shaft went. Thanks to very efficient insurance we swiftly got towed off the Autoroute and our lovely van was then garaged for the next 5 days whilst being repaired, actually this proved to be a stroke of luck as the next 4 days were torrential rain and we managed to find a luxury hotel room on the holiday insurance! All that meant that we had a couple of nights in Aires on the new mattress.
Both my wife and I are small and reasonably light. My wife is the Princess and the pea, so it was really her that decided that the original mattress was too hard. I definitely liked the new mattress, it felt slightly softer than the original, just enough to make a difference and you could feel the flexing of the slats contouring the body. My wife however remains undecided! She felt it was still uncomfortable when side lying especially on the shoulders. Better for the back she thought!
Regarding coverings for the mattress we found that it comfortably fitted into an old single duvet cover. It didn't seem an issue that we didn't still have the Velcro for the light, the light just bent down and stayed in situ. We have kept our old mattress in the polythene from this under a double bed so no issues with storage there.
Given the constraints of 2" thickness limit, don't raise expectations too high, however, it did give me a few good nights and I felt it was an improvement.

Our new replacement mattress arrived yesterday. Looking forward to testing it out at the weekend in Dorset.

Come on - own up. Who slept in their van on the drive last night just to test the mattress???

Of course we now have a dilemma of what to do with the old mattress....................