Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

07 2.5l - 18" Wheel Size - Modifications, or good to go ?

B

BigPritch

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all,
seen an 07 2.5l SE that we really like the look of, right price/condition etc etc.
It currently has 18' black wheels on it, which look great (as its a metallic grey van), but after reading some threads on here, I wanted to ask :-

Look good - but are they practical - drives ok when we test drove it.
Do any tweaks need/must have done to springs etc, and as they are bigger, do they bring suspension issues later down the line ?
To my knowledge (or that of the current owner), they have just been - added, with no further modifications - is this an issue.
Or, am I worrying over little ?

I bow to all your greater knowledge.

Many thanks

18's are a VW option.
Are they OEM VW wheels ?
does the tyre wear look normal / ok?
For real peace of mind you could always get an alignment check done at some stage.
I think if OEM VW wheels then you should be ok, assuming it's passed MOT ok without any related advises.
mine left the factory with 17's, but were soon retrofitted with the VW 30mm lowering kit and 18's by the previous owner.

would focus more on the mechanical side of things, make sure all camping bits work (cooker, sink, camping heater etc) & check roof operates correctly.

If you are worried about the wheels, you can get a decent set of 4 x new VW 17” (delivery miles) Davenport alloys & tyres for approx £550.

would focus more on the mechanical side of things, make sure all camping bits work (cooker, sink, camping heater etc) & check roof operates correctly.

If you are worried about the wheels, you can get a decent set of 4 x new VW 17” (delivery miles) Davenport alloys & tyres for approx £550.
Wheels & tyres look very new, with no sign of wear on tyres and no advisories on any of the MOT's.
Mechanically, its got FSH, and has passed its MOT for the last 5 years with very few ADV (other than usual stuff). Last adv was -
  • Rear exhaust outer skin corroded ADVISORY
Done just over 71k
As far as the rest goes, yes all work as tested them when we looked at it...
Seems, very well looked after, seats have been covered with Cali covers, and underneath are like new. Interior is very, very tidy, fridge/cupboards/sink etc.
Just wasn't sure if any mods were needed for the larger wheels, but you guys seem to think no probs.

Thanks

Wheels & tyres look very new, with no sign of wear on tyres and no advisories on any of the MOT's.
Mechanically, its got FSH, and has passed its MOT for the last 5 years with very few ADV (other than usual stuff). Last adv was -
Done just over 71k
Seems, very well looked after, seats have been covered with Cali covers, and underneath are like new. Interior is very, very tidy, fridge/cupboards/sink etc.
Just wasn't sure if any mods were needed for the larger wheels, but you guys seem to think no probs.

Thanks
17 and 18" wheels are approved for the California by VW. You cannot have an 18" spare wheel as the carrier is not big enough.
If they are 3rd party 18" wheels then they must be weight approved for the California. Most are but some may not be.

Done just over 71k

Thanks

Looks good

Exhaust box is doubleskinned - we had same comment for past 2 Mot’s.

Alloys need to be load rated.

Juts been given details of the tyres as follows :-

255/45ZR18

They ARE VW wheels, so assume are OK to ride