Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another Heating Question!

We have had the same basic issue a few weekends back: when having the heater on without electrical hookup, it stopped after about 1,5 hours and would not start again. Whereas before in the cold we happen to have been on hookup always, and it would go the whole night.
When we let the engine run a few minutes, it would start again, but then again stop quite soon. The moment the first few rays of sun hit our collectors on the roof the next morning, it would run again. While there are reports on the web where the heater would go all night when just on batteries.

We have researched the web extensively, and found FOUR possible reasons for the heater switching off too early when on battery alone. They are independent, so one can suffer from each four of them, and they are all worth checking when you have these kind of heater issues:
  1. the earth shunt problem, as discussed above and elsewhere on the forum.
  2. simply the batteries being old, and no longer having enough power (dûh).
  3. the threshold switch-off value in the board computer. Not so obvious. It turns out a certain series of Cali's had that threshold value programmed in at a higher voltage then before and nowadays again.
  4. the smaller battery fuse. We have two leisure batteries in the Cali, one has a fuse of 80A (quite adequate), the other of 50A (just barely enough). Quite often, it seems, the 50A fuse goes, but you don't really notice: your leisure system still goes, but you think you have two batteries where in fact you have one. So, only half the power you think... Especially when the power goes down quickly when not on hook-up, this is worth checking...
Ad 1: As that can also cause other erratic behaviour, we have ordered the earth shunt repair set from the german forum, and have built it in last Sunday. Already found the lights no longer flickering when the heater started up, and indeed the heater ran to 0,5V drain further down than before, and it didn't switch off (did not have the opportunity to let it run until it switched itself off and see how far down it would go now).

Ad 3: Ours is in that series, so we need to check this. We have found someone with the software to look into this, and indeed saw that a fault was registered where the heater had switched off because of the battery voltage dropping below the threshold level. But with that version of the software we couldn't check or change the actual threshold value. Still looking to find a Dutch forum member who could help us there.
It is register 0B (aux heater), record 08 (threshold value). The value in there used to be 153, meaning that the heater would switch off when the voltage on the leisure circuit would reach 9 + 1.53 = 10.53 V. On the german forum one can find many reports where people have found their Cali's have higher values programmed in, and they lower it to 153 again.
The forums say VW set that value higher to try and mitigate the aux heater/earth shunt problem. Once the earth shunt problem is fixed, it seems you can safely go back to the lower value. In newer Cali models it seems VW have fixed the earth shunt problem, and the value is lowered again. Not my wisdom, here I am just repeating what I have read.

Hi,

Anyone know where to find WHICH versions have the threshold switch different value and WHEN VW solved the earth ground shunt issue??

We have a T5 2012 Coast (German version) and are having plenty of difficulties with our heater going out earlier than we would like with all of the symptoms stated in these forums.

Going to the German dealer for work is tough when we don't really speak the language, so want to have as much information as possible before bringing it in and at the whim of gestures and pointing. Thanks!!

Hello, heater still not working but I have the following info:

when the heater is turned on, it starts up and the fan starts blowing, but only cold air.
Initially the display reads (12.2V, 50%' -4.8) but this goes to
(12.3V, 40%, 0.0) after a few minutes. The fan then turns off by itself.

Apparently the battery is ok and I have an earth shunt.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Ivor

Ivor, if the battery is only showing 12.2v, 50% then the heater will not run. It will start as you say, but cut out quickly as the battery volts are too low, this is to protect you battery. The leisure battery may have lost its capacity to hold charge at the level needed for the heater. I had this on my last van and spent weeks on fuel, pump, earth issues before a new battery cured it. It should run on a hookup though as your battery will be getting charged at a level to run the heater. at least worth checking the battery condition, if they are the original leisure battery's then they are 10 yr old and may not be holding charge anymore.

Hi,

Anyone know where to find WHICH versions have the threshold switch different value and WHEN VW solved the earth ground shunt issue??

We have a T5 2012 Coast (German version) and are having plenty of difficulties with our heater going out earlier than we would like with all of the symptoms stated in these forums.

Going to the German dealer for work is tough when we don't really speak the language, so want to have as much information as possible before bringing it in and at the whim of gestures and pointing. Thanks!!

....T5 2012 Coast.....
Think you need to explain this ....back to the future?

Ivor, if the battery is only showing 12.2v, 50% then the heater will not run. It will start as you say, but cut out quickly as the battery volts are too low, this is to protect you battery. The leisure battery may have lost its capacity to hold charge at the level needed for the heater. I had this on my last van and spent weeks on fuel, pump, earth issues before a new battery cured it. It should run on a hookup though as your battery will be getting charged at a level to run the heater. at least worth checking the battery condition, if they are the original leisure battery's then they are 10 yr old and may not be holding charge anymore.

It's been 2 years since that post , hope he's got a new battery by now;)

Hi,
Sorry, T5 2012 Comfortline (I equated it to this year's model, which would be equivalent to Coast)...

Now that we are back to present (!);
- how do I know if the earth shunt issue has been fixed on my model?
- and, how do I know if the threshold switch off value has been returned to the "correct" value?

Thank you!

Went to France and only one cold night - just when the aux heater refused to work - typical - wife not amused. it started odd times after but only trying it. then stopped working altogether, left it a couple of years as not really used often. Took it for servcie recently and garage said it may have needed re-set in diagnogstics, came back working OK - so thats one they do not tell you I think. However now been trying it as garage said they would not bill us until we were happy with - they're great here. Heater works and temperature goes up, then after a good while the fan slows and stops, the heater symbol stays on, the fuel pump ticks away and after about 5 mins or so the symbol disappears and the fan starts on cold - Question is why? is it to do with ventalation safety check, or a fault or what - I never have got to grips with it any ideas welcome. Battery strength good

Maaze
These unit do have a shut down phase. After running hot they either switch off according to temp setting or manually, they then blow cold for a short while to cool the unit down.

Back