Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning Split

Howard 66

Howard 66

VIP Member
Has anyone else experienced problems with the seam on their awning separating? It happened to us in France last September (our Cali was new in April 2014) during a warm spell. It was replaced on warranty but has just happened again on our second day in Spain. The seam runs parallel to the van about 18 inches away from the winder when the awning is fully extended. It could be our fault but I can't see how. Any suggestions?

Morning Martin. I think they replaced the winder and canvas but kept the original casing. Something about they'd ordered black instead of grey and didn't want to spoil the grey/silver aesthetic we have going. That or they couldn't be bothered to take it all off!

My awning also split along that seam, soon after I got my Cali. I think there was a small bubble in the seam from new which quickly got worse. The whole awning was replaced under warranty and it hasn't happened again since (touch wood).

I guess you've been pretty unlucky for it to go twice!

Thanks for the reply Mark. Yes, unlucky is how I feel. But delighted with life in a Cali so mustn't grumble. Well, maybe a little.

Mine’s just gone in just the same way at the end of a hot and sunny day in Provence when I also feel I’m coming apart at the seams. Don’t suppose the dealers will want to replace it on warranty in its sixth year of use. Has anyone managed a long lasting repair or should I just bite the bullet and order a new awning?

Mine’s just gone in just the same way at the end of a hot and sunny day in Provence when I also feel I’m coming apart at the seams. Don’t suppose the dealers will want to replace it on warranty in its sixth year of use. Has anyone managed a long lasting repair or should I just bite the bullet and order a new awning?
You can replace just the material.

Our whole awning was replaced, but I stupidly forgot to ask for the side panel pole fittings to be returned so desperately trying to track them down.

Has anyone found a glue to repair the awning just found our is coming apart four years old now

5EC8C1BC-E73A-499C-A3F6-AF812911354C.jpeg

Cali awning doesn't like heat obviously, melts the seam glue by looks of it, crazy, hopefully they'll sort under warranty. If not I'll try to reglue, anyone tried that?
e9f78e139cdc970b4706b1bddef743da.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Cali awning doesn't like heat obviously, melts the seam glue by looks of it, crazy, hopefully they'll sort under warranty. If not I'll try to reglue, anyone tried that?

Had my whole awning replaced for the same thing, the replacement is a single sheet.

That’s a warranty claim. Faulty batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, in hot south France and awning seam has come apart in heat. Winding the thing in now is nigh impossible. On a campsite so could wait until Monday and see if VW Assist could take the whole thing off but they were wanting to take to garage after breakdown maybe bodge it together and transport.. or I could have a go myself after speaking to dealer re warranty. Awkward thing to carry home, any ideas folks?

Too hot in Inverness? uh oh....
Haha should have said, we're in South France , about 35 degrees, maybe there is a temperature limit in small print!! It's a fragile beastie this thing

Hi, in hot south France and awning seam has come apart in heat. Winding the thing in now is nigh impossible. On a campsite so could wait until Monday and see if VW Assist could take the whole thing off but they were wanting to take to garage after breakdown maybe bodge it together and transport.. or I could have a go myself after speaking to dealer re warranty. Awkward thing to carry home, any ideas folks?

Has it split all the way across?
Maybe some strong tape and then carefully wind it in with someone
helping it glide along.

Same thing happened to me three weeks ago no problem for three years then hit 35deg and it fell apart,
Such a known fault it should of been recalled I never got chance to try repair kit, it just opened up completely,
Tied it up by pulling both the arms in to transport home,

Thanks all, it was split half way along its length, glue melted, bit of a 'Blue Peterish' way to hold it together in first place, you'd think it would be one piece. Once it cooled down I managed to get a lattice of gaffer tape to bodge it together just enough to wind it in and seems tight with all the tape sandwiched in there. I'll use some tie wraps I have as well. I'll maybe buy a tarp for the rest of the holidays as shade essential at moment

Decathlon to rescue for 25 euros , although somehow I managed to channel all the sun under it
9eeff9773ad76fd64a81f4186323b1d2.jpg

O no. 40 degrees and ours has melted along the seam. Only in a couple of places. Out of warranty now.
Any recommendations on glue, as seems too good to Bin (and spend £270)