Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery Display

P

Psb

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi abroad at the moment in the Van. Charged the leisure battery prior to leaving home and the display showed over 60hrs of use but after a 2 day drive the battery showed fully charged ( blue level indicator on the display)but only 17hr of battery life?

We need to be away from a charging point for a few days so which one should I trust?

I’ve looked on the internet etc etc but can’t find any info

Any help would be gratefully received

AADA969E-7129-4B42-9C37-5C27C0C01457.jpeg

Mine, an Ocean with two leisure batteries is currently reading
> 60hours
@12.7V
Pulling 1A

If yours is pulling 2A you will get half that. Have you got something energy hungry plugged in that is affecting the reading?

Hi thanks for the reply. No that’s what’s puzzling me - I’ve nothing plugged in that’s drawing power.‍♂️

Hi thanks for the reply. No that’s what’s puzzling me - I’ve nothing plugged in that’s drawing power.‍♂️
No idea where the ‍♂️ Symbol came from!

Fridge On?

Appreciate your help ….I unplugged the charging cable, turned the motor on / off and it’s all back to normal showing more than 60hrs …so no idea why it was showing the previous reading.

We have a similar problem. On a long drive the charge level drops but then goes back to normal when we have stopped and restarted the engine. VW did some software updates and changed one of the leisure batteries under warranty but it did not make any difference. I don't trust the display at all.

This new control display is very temperamental and unpredictable.
Displays of remaining capacity are only interpretations of the system, as there is no sensor capable of measuring this directly.
Keep an eye on the voltage and the current consumed, these are the only two technically reliable information.
Lots of other info posted by @WelshGas on this subject are available on this forum.

Hi abroad at the moment in the Van. Charged the leisure battery prior to leaving home and the display showed over 60hrs of use but after a 2 day drive the battery showed fully charged ( blue level indicator on the display)but only 17hr of battery life?

We need to be away from a charging point for a few days so which one should I trust?

I’ve looked on the internet etc etc but can’t find any info

Any help would be gratefully received

View attachment 95677
Hi Psb, I was just going to post but saw your problem and thought I’d start here. We have 70 plate cali. Since new our leisure battery never fully charged. Told its a software/patch issue. We were booked for update on Monday 11th July. Now told 28 Nov. Basically VW are still developing the software. I will be posting fully with images later on. Stay in touch this needs group action. We now have Halfords fridge box on extension in toilet tent (we don’t open it in there), turn van over occasionally, check pop up roof, but no water pump, no shower and all this only works when hooked up on site. My dealer washing hands saying it’s a brand issue. Not good enough I’m afraid. I’ve got time on my hands at moment - god help them

43867675-50BF-495C-90CB-EF69CD467BDC.jpeg

61132EB5-745A-47DE-9C3E-86A9E0ACE03E.jpeg

Appreciate your help ….I unplugged the charging cable, turned the motor on / off and it’s all back to normal showing more than 60hrs …so no idea why it was showing the previous reading.
Don't pay too much attention to the number of hours left - this is a calculation, not a measurement, and is not accurate. Do, however, trust the voltage reading when not on hookup. 12.7v indicates fully charged. Advice if you need to be away from hookup for a few days is to always enable 'max charge' on the control panel every time you drive (it reverts to 'off' when you turn off the engine). This will charge the battery up to 100%, as opposed to the 80% without this enabled. You'll notice the difference on the charging current - can go up to 15A or so. It will disable the auto-engine-stop, and will idle at slightly higher revs, so maybe if you're in stop-start traffic you might want to disable again, but as long as you're driving, there is no downside.

Don't pay too much attention to the number of hours left - this is a calculation, not a measurement, and is not accurate. Do, however, trust the voltage reading when not on hookup. 12.7v indicates fully charged. Advice if you need to be away from hookup for a few days is to always enable 'max charge' on the control panel every time you drive (it reverts to 'off' when you turn off the engine). This will charge the battery up to 100%, as opposed to the 80% without this enabled. You'll notice the difference on the charging current - can go up to 15A or so. It will disable the auto-engine-stop, and will idle at slightly higher revs, so maybe if you're in stop-start traffic you might want to disable again, but as long as you're driving, there is no downside.
Hi, we have no use of control panel unless van turned over. We just get battery low. Charge now. After 5 days hooked up. Once turned over can see 12.5v but still no leisure battery power. This is how vw have left us until 28 Nov. Checking consumer rights with DAS through insurance policy.

Hi, we have no use of control panel unless van turned over. We just get battery low. Charge now. After 5 days hooked up. Once turned over can see 12.5v but still no leisure battery power. This is how vw have left us until 28 Nov. Checking consumer rights with DAS through insurance policy.
When on hookup, does the orange charging symbol appear by the rotary knob? (Where you see the fridge light too)

When on hookup, does the 13amp socket on the end of the kitchen unit by the sink work?

When on hookup, does the orange charging symbol appear by the rotary knob? (Where you see the fridge light too)

When on hookup, does the 13amp socket on the end of the kitchen unit by the sink work?
Hi, yes we are hooked up and socket works. But no fridge, shower or tap pump. No control panel. VW say need software. I’m saying that software should have been installed at point of sale.

Hi, yes we are hooked up and socket works. But no fridge, shower or tap pump. No control panel. VW say need software. I’m saying that software should have been installed at point of sale.
Only the picture you shared doesn't show the charging symbol?
Could be that your battery charger has the power cable not seated properly?

Only the picture you shared doesn't show the charging symbol?
Could be that your battery charger has the power cable not seated properly?
Hi, charging symbol shows when hooked up. Images posted are last hours of battery that’s why fridge shows

Hi, charging symbol shows when hooked up. Images posted are last hours of battery that’s why fridge shows
Hi, so when on hookup and the charging symbol showing, do you see a positive amount of amps going in. Could you post a picture of the panel when on hookup?

Hi, so when on hookup and the charging symbol showing, do you see a positive amount of amps going in. Could you post a picture of the panel when on hookup?
Hi, I assume you’ve read catch 22. So control panel only operates when van turned over. When van turned over when hooked up van asks to remove hook up.no control panel