Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California 4-Motion in the Alps Video

Pretty dumb to drive that Defender in that tunnel before a good mesureing!
And the part over that pile of stones with the Cali even dumber imo.

Each their own ,i been driving thru the same views in my Cali on tarmack with less risk of damage so why bother...

I don't get the comparison to 4x4 pickups. Apples and pears imo.

Its all about how it is done :)
480x360_T5_Extreme_Bodenfreiheit_Gelaende_01.jpg

Now thats a diffrent story , a midged can walk under that Cali without bumping his head ,probally underprotection and propper rubbers on it ....
The one in the movie is not made to go over that pile of stones...looking for trouble

Now thats a diffrent story , a midged can walk under that Cali without bumping his head ,probally underprotection and propper rubbers on it ....
The one in the movie is not made to go over that pile of stones...looking for trouble
What a lovely video!
Have a "regular" quite modest Seikel kit and decent rubber fitted, there's a picture showing ground clearance in my introduction post, and i'm very much looking forward to trying something in the manner of that video.

I do agree about under protection, the Cali has lots of vulnerable looking stuff exposed. Skid plates are definitely required if one wants to avoid a nervous breakdown every time ground clearance is put to the test.
Have only been through some sandy and muddy beaches, with no problem so far.
WP_20150914_12_22_44_Pro.jpg snip_20150924110313.jpg
BTW: Is it the radiator for the fridge showing to the right?

Clearance angles seem pretty good though, think the T5's have the potential to be surprisingly capable (also) off road.

Last edited:
For sure no fridge radiator underneeth the Cali .
That even looks not standaard at all...

Ground clearance is indeed very important ,
Thats also why i am no fan of lowering the Cali and put big sized alu's on it .... altough they are very popular here on the forum.

For sure no fridge radiator underneeth the Cali .
That even looks not standaard at all...

Ground clearance is indeed very important ,
Thats also why i am no fan of lowering the Cali and put big sized alu's on it .... altough they are very popular here on the forum.
Not a fridge radiator, and possibly not even standard? Interesting, and since we are new owners i'm puzzled to what it could be, maybe diesel cooler?
Will post query in appropriate section later on, this mystery must be explored.

Completely agree with you regarding the atrocity of lowering (and i'm sure many don't, life would be quite boring otherwise:bananadance).

Cheers and thanks for the info!

The alpine route looks quite similar to the potholed road to my work in Glasgow!

Ok , it is the underside of your Cali shown on the two pics above....did not realise that....
Check here how the underneeth looks like without the protectionpanels...first pic in first post
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/cali-technical-tips-tricks.9457/

Looks very diffrent from yours , do you have a auxilary heater...?
Enlarged your pics to get a better look , don't know what that thing is.
Anybody here can give us a tip....

Last edited:
What a lovely video!
Have a "regular" quite modest Seikel kit and decent rubber fitted, there's a picture showing ground clearance in my introduction post, and i'm very much looking forward to trying something in the manner of that video.

I do agree about under protection, the Cali has lots of vulnerable looking stuff exposed. Skid plates are definitely required if one wants to avoid a nervous breakdown every time ground clearance is put to the test.
Have only been through some sandy and muddy beaches, with no problem so far.
View attachment 10144 View attachment 10145
BTW: Is it the radiator for the fridge showing to the right?

Clearance angles seem pretty good though, think the T5's have the potential to be surprisingly capable (also) off road.

I can tell you from er... rather clumsy experience .... the entry and exit angles in the Cali are severely limited. I was very grateful for the underbody protection. Certainly the spare wheel carrier needs shifting out of the way if serious stuff is going to be tackled.

I love off-roading, but not in my home and shelter.

I can tell you from er... rather clumsy experience .... the entry and exit angles in the Cali are severely limited. I was very grateful for the underbody protection. Certainly the spare wheel carrier needs shifting out of the way if serious stuff is going to be tackled.

I love off-roading, but not in my home and shelter.
You do have a point, actually several, however with some extra 4" distance from the ground to the chassis the angles improve a bit.
My biggest concern with the spare wheel is that it wont be any use, since the rolling diameter is considerably smaller than the fitted 245/75r16 tires and may or may not cause 4motion system to freak out.
I will google this further and might make a proper post about it later on.

Ok , it is the underside of your Cali shown on the two pics above....did not realise that....
Check here how the underneeth looks like without the protectionpanels...first pic in first post
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/cali-technical-tips-tricks.9457/

Looks very diffrent from yours , do you have a auxilary heater...?
Enlarged your pics to get a better look , don't know what that thing is.
Anybody here can give us a tip....
Ah, that thread is brilliant, cheers for making it.
Yes, i do have the auxiliary heater(s?), seems the mysterious radiator thing sits just underneath the protection panel for them..

I'll post a link to the full resolution picture in my introduction thread, feels impolite to derail this topic further with my treasure hunt.:embarrased

I was talking standard and not seikel Cali.

I was talking standard and not seikel Cali.
Meanwhile I, with my acutely limited experience and skewed view, was talking seikel Cali and not standard Cali. :veryfunny

Nah, apologies not accepted nor needed.:) I was, in my rather overenthusiastic an clumsy manner, hijacking the thread with my new found passion.
And it appears i still am, time to hit the pub, kärlek och skål GrannyJen!

Nah, apologies not accepted nor needed.:) I was, in my rather overenthusiastic an clumsy manner, hijacking the thread with my new found passion.
And it appears i still am, time to hit the pub, kärlek och skål GrannyJen!

Skol :happy

Great vid, perhaps next time ask the '4x4' pickups to winch the big rocks out of cali's way.....sheer manners out of respect? lol.

Back