Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cambelt Change - Replace at 4 Years

Martin

Martin

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Van was booked in tomorrow morning for cambelt and water pump change ( 4 years ) However I have just had a call to tell me not to bring my van in as it has now been changed to six years and is due for replacement in October 2016.

Just called VWCS and they have also confirmed it is 6 years :crazy

Re: Cambelt Change

More confusion then I got a reminder @3 years to be told by my dealer it was 4 to then be told by vw customer services 3 years good work vw

Can't remember - are you a 180 Martin, does that make a difference?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Yes, mine is a 180 DSG, I am currently on hold to VWCS again to get a third opinion

I would call Alex rather than rely on what VWCS tell you :laugh2

I certainly didn't get mine done at 3 years.

Just phoned half a dozen other dealers and being told a combination of 4, 5 and 6 years !

I haven't yet (3.5 years..) I was half expecting to need to get it done next time around.

Californiaman said:
I haven't yet (3.5 years..) I was half expecting to need to get it done next time around.

I think our are very similar age, when was yours registered?

It was registered at the end of Dec 2010.

My van is a 2010 180 and is getting the belt done next week. After numerous calls my local dealer came back to me with 140000 miles or 4 years. So for me it's time!

Cambelt Change

I've a 2010 180 Cali. Poole Breeze vw have confirmed it will need doing next year so when it's 5 years old. It will have done by then, maybe 30k miles ish give or take .

I got confused easy I know I rang dealer at 4 years and was told 5
then rang customer services with chassis no to be told 4 years so got it done in march :mrgreen:

I have come to the conclusion after way too many phone calls that it is 4 - 5 years.

So you have a year to get it done before the van reaches its 5th birthday?

By coincidence VW cars are running a promo on cambelts and waterpumps (299 for cambelt, 349 for belt and pump).

Sadly this doesn't appear to apply to commercials, but the small print is interesting:

How often does it need to be changed?
4 - 5 years (4 years for cars registered before September 2009, 5 years thereafter). This may need to be changed sooner for high mileage drivers.

Maybe belt technology jumped forward in Q4 2009!

T

A couple of dealers told me the material of the belt changed in Q4 of 2010 yet others say this is rubbish.

This is not the first time I have had loads of conflicting information with dealers and VWCS.

-

I thought that the 180 didn't have a cambelt? only the 140 had one due to being single turbo.
That was one of the reasons for buying the 180.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

2.0 L engine has a cam belt, 2.5 L has chain.

Post 2009 engines 4 - 5 yr change cycle or 140,000 miles, whichever comes first.

More cost effective to have water pump changed at same time.

Is this for real? Ours is 6 and a half years old - 30,000 or so miles. I hadn't even thought of the possibility of changing the cam belt.
Does anyone know of one that failed?
Pete & Gill

I would say if yours is 6+ years old it will be the 2.5 lt which I believe is not a toothed belt but a chain
I would not want to trust a rubber belt for that long if it broke
you would be talking serious damage and expense

Thanks Kev
Yes it is a 174 2.5l - I'll have to look into this.
Pete& Gill

Back