Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooking & Food

Hi guys. This is the best thread I have seen so far. Loads of great ideas.

Cheers. Phil

As ever a bit of common sense always best.... In Northumberland, a bit chilly to cook outside, fresh salmon steaks, fresh local asparagus, cous-cous all cooked in the van in 8 minutes... Enough ventilation to keep any 'aromas' on the move and sufficient vin blanc to keep the chef happy ;) image.jpg

What's this two frying pan job like then?
It's something we picked up at a show a few year back, but I can't remember what its called. I've just taken a few pics on my phone and hope I can upload them direct below

We pack the two halves with our standard cookset inside. I was too lazy to attach the handles for the pics. Note the chopping board I have fitted over the sink (and the flowers from the sixties!)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's something we picked up at a show a few year back, but I can't remember what its called. I've just taken a few pics on my phone and hope I can upload them direct below

We pack the two halves with our standard cookset inside. I was too lazy to attach the handles for the pics. Note the chopping board I have fitted over the sink (and the flowers from the sixties!)

View attachment 8191

View attachment 8192

View attachment 8193
Looks really useful. I like objects that have two functions. Everything needs to earn it's keep in the Cali or it's out.

What's this two frying pan job like then?
It's called a double skillet, I looked into them but the company that supplies them doesn't appear to be trading any more.

We tend to reheat things on the hob like Bolognase or chilli previously cooked at home, or use the Cobb which cooks the best chicken ever.

Can't believe no one has mentioned the Cobb yet! Love cooking on the Cobb and have done a multitude of dishes on. Great instant oven for reheats and for sticky toffee pudding on a cold night in the Lake District. But on the Cobb we've done cod in coconut milk with chill and ginger, roast lamb with usual veg, couscous dishes, breakfast, oh and they are great for pizza. It also makes a great little fire for when you're done cooking! I've found I'm only limited by my imagination.

Has no one heard of Britstops and just popping in the pub for something to eat?

Am I the only lazy old tart on here? :shocked

Realise I'm not the only Cobb convert and others have already mentioned them.
I'd love to do something similar to Coast - travel around in my Cali, pick up local foods and then cook on the Cobb. Thought a mix of Coast, campervaning and cooking would be a great little programme / job, but can't imagine any one would pay me to do that!

I always take a Bolognese sauce and fresh pasta for a super quick first night meal. I also have two tinned meals at the ready for during the week -M&S chicken in white sauce and rice in a pouch and also tin of corned beef, tinned potatoes, fresh onion and tin of beans. We always have cereal for breakfast for ease but always have brioche too (less crumbly than croissant) I never cook anything smelly in the van but on a separate gas stove outside. Herbs stored in tic tac boxes is good and nutella doesn't need to be in the fridge!

image.jpg I would recommend a splatter/splash guard when cooking, to stop and spits or bubbling sauce.

In mine I've cooked anything from pasta and arrbiata to reheating left overs on the hobs. Although also got the pack away BBQ... It be rude not to.

image.jpg

This is such an exciting thread. Fantastic ideas. We chose a Beach because we wanted to cook outside when we could, and go to pubs and cafes when we couldn't. We're quite ambitious cooks, but we aim for simple recipes with big flavours – griddled trout with orange and star anise sounds tricksy, but is super-easy and uses very little gas (especially if you barbecue it). We use a Campingaz Bivouac tiny gas burner for one-pot meals, a Cobb (though we may change to a Lotus Grill...watch this space!) and our electric kettle.

It's cheeky, perhaps, but if anyone would be willing to share their tips and recipes at my blog (campfiremag.co.uk) that would be fantastic. I set up it precisely for people who love camping and decent food (preferably outdoors!). You might find the equipment reviews useful too.

Meanwhile, if anyone has any recommendations for a decent two-burner gas cooker...everything I've looked at is either very basic or very flimsy.
Fish-cooking.jpg

Fish-and-orange-salad.jpg

we bought big tins of stew with beans and veg in the tins in france and spain which were fine, probably wouldn't live on them for ever but not bad

It's cheeky, perhaps, but if anyone would be willing to share their tips and recipes at my blog (campfiremag.co.uk) that would be fantastic. I set up it precisely for people who love camping and decent food (preferably outdoors!). You might find the equipment reviews useful too

Nice blog... A good read, will be visiting here a little more often.

On the two burner question... we actually have two cartridge stoves that we use with two square cast iron skillets with folding handles... can even put the griddles on top of each other to make a kind of dutch oven. (We've used them for 5 years now... so very durable)

Total cost:- £20 for the two camping gas stoves (including 8 cylinders) and €14 for the pair of griddles in an Italian supermarket.

You've all opened up big time on this thread! - thanks to all those sharing their methods, recipes, and equipment, it's really appreciated, and food for thought.

If you are into cooking at home, being outdoors doing it with limited kit and local produce is a great privilege to behold. Many cooking programmes now have outside sets. When our Cali arrives, we want to step up to the plate :)rolleyes:) and do the "Coast" thing in a bit more style.

We've used the £10 stoves and canisters for a few years up to now. They are a very capable, and cheap way to cook, but you do need a good supply of spare cartridges. They can't run a bbq though.

Could I ask those who use separate gas hob/bbq/Cadac type - do you have a separate gas bottle in the boot, or can the on board one be diverted or split to use outside? Do you use another Camping Gaz, or Propane Calor type? Is that a problem being stored "loose" in the back?
Is it different when abroad?

Are the Cob users using gas or wood as fuel?

Thanks, Cali-cooking fans!

Could I ask those who use separate gas hob/bbq/Cadac type - do you have a separate gas bottle in the boot, or can the on board one be diverted or split to use outside? Do you use another Camping Gaz, or Propane Calor type? Is that a problem being stored "loose" in the back?
Is it different when abroad?

I've used a Cobb for a few years and use the Cobblestones for fuel, its a great bit off kit and can cook some good meals but it burns for 2-3 hours so just to cook something simple seems a bit of a waste.Some campsites in Spain do not allow solid fuel BBQ's due to the fire risk to the surrounding countryside, some people say it's enclosed so not a risk but I wouldn't want to argue the toss with an irate campsite owner or risk setting the landscape on fire.
I recently got myself a Cadac Safari which has really impressed me with its versatility and its rapid on/off ability, I run it on another Gaz 907 which if needs be can be used in the Cali if that one runs out unexpectedly, it lives under the shelf in the back.
I understand the some of the big motor homes have an outside gas point but then you are fixed as to where you can position the BBQ which with wind direction often being a deciding factor is not always ideal unless you take a 10 yard hose extension with you.
After using both the Cobb and the Cadac I would recommend the Cadac Safari for its ease of use,easier control of the heat setting and it seems easier to clean, they both take up about the same amount of space, ok you need another gas bottle for the Cadac but then again 10 Cobblestones or a bag of charcoal takes up a lot of space for use on the Cobb.
These days I take the Cadac.
I hope this is of help.

What's an average Cali owner's culinary repertoire?
Do you cook on the supplied gear inside?
What other cooking kit do you use?
Do you use the EHU?
What food do you take, what do you buy en route, what do you make from scratch?
Do you bother with any of this?
Any other cool tips?

That sort of thing.
It would be nice to share some good practices.
Thanks.
Mainly wild camp, solar panels so have never used the EHU, Half the fun is cooking whatever takes your fancy, no restrictions, but, no fry ups inside the van, couldn't live with the residual mess and airborne fat / oil droplets > mold, so, outside, use a dutch oven (Lodge 12 pint) for roasting (roasting bags), and 'big group' stews and baking bread (packet mixes), heating apple pies, a small Asda BBQ with lid, a small cast iron fry pan (over the BBQ), a storm kettle / drift wood, for boiling (1.5 litre water at a time) for major washing up, (saves a mountain of gas), A decent size washing up bowl. (Some of this stacks inside each other). Wet days, easy clean up food, U Bens rice, pasta, tinned stuff cooked inside on the hob. Improvise and enjoy..

Rgrds,

Rob H.

use a dutch oven (Lodge 12 pint) for roasting (roasting bags), and 'big group' stews and baking bread (packet mixes), heating apple pies, a small Asda BBQ with lid, a small cast iron fry pan (over the BBQ), a storm kettle / drift wood, for boiling (1.5 litre water at a time) for major washing up, (saves a mountain of gas), A decent size washing up bowl.
I don't know where you find the space for all this stuff! Under our rear bed shelf seems to be full of boots, shoes, crocs, waterproofs, rucksacks, beer, wine & loo :D

We have taken home made bolognaise sauce to reheat and boiled pasta. Always have a tin or two of ready meals (stew/curry) and couple of packets of savoury rice. We have done toast and boiled egg for breakfast using this type of toaster, very quick to toast and very compact when folded away. When cooking outdoors we use a Cadac Safari Chef which we have done steaks on (don't want to fry anything in the van!), or else it's the pub/fish & chip shop or whatever is nearby :)

I don't know where you find the space for all this stuff! Under our rear bed shelf seems to be full of boots, shoes, crocs, waterproofs, rucksacks, beer, wine & loo :D
Ours too! I was wondering the same.

This is such an exciting thread. Fantastic ideas. We chose a Beach because we wanted to cook outside when we could, and go to pubs and cafes when we couldn't. We're quite ambitious cooks, but we aim for simple recipes with big flavours – griddled trout with orange and star anise sounds tricksy, but is super-easy and uses very little gas (especially if you barbecue it). We use a Campingaz Bivouac tiny gas burner for one-pot meals, a Cobb (though we may change to a Lotus Grill...watch this space!) and our electric kettle.

It's cheeky, perhaps, but if anyone would be willing to share their tips and recipes at my blog (campfiremag.co.uk) that would be fantastic. I set up it precisely for people who love camping and decent food (preferably outdoors!). You might find the equipment reviews useful too.

Meanwhile, if anyone has any recommendations for a decent two-burner gas cooker...everything I've looked at is either very basic or very flimsy.
Fish-cooking.jpg

Fish-and-orange-salad.jpg

One of these Fokers :Grin, or similar maybe? They look tough enough for anything.
http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Foker_Cast_Iron_Double_Burner_Gas_Boiling_Ring__FK003050_.html

The fish looks lovely - how do you prepare the star anise? - which bit do you use, and what do you do to it?

One of these Fokers :Grin, or similar maybe? They look tough enough for anything.
The fish looks lovely - how do you prepare the star anise? - which bit do you use, and what do you do to it?

That's one substantial Foker indeed. It must weigh a tonne. Thanks for the praise for my fish! I've posted the recipe here. And there are more! We really upset Campingaz with our (deservedly) scathing review of their Xcelerate cookers, by the way. I'd really warn anyone off getting one of those unless they'd seen it and felt it in a shop to check they've rectified the flaws.

We've had our Cali since new - it'll be 5 in September. We cook anything and everything in the van on its two rings (except when the weather is good enough to barbeque of course ☺) We fry with gay abandon, giving the kitchen area a good clean after cooking. I can't say either of us have noticed any residual smells? Nor have we had any comments from family and friends to that effect. Looking at the van fabric walls they don't appear to be marked with grease? Of course we ventilate when cooking. We live in Cumbria and use the van year round. Not to cook as we do - and we do love cooking - would greatly diminish our enjoyment of the van.

Others of course have different views - I'm just saying this in case our experience might be helpful to new owners who are having to decide on their approach to using their pride and joy!

Bon appetite!

I'm always amazed at the number of people who refuse to cook inside their Calis, to us it's one of the integral enjoyments of Cali ownership.
But each to their own, as they say!