Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooking & Food

Has anybody used the pizza stone with the Cadac?
We have just tested our new cadac safari 2 with it's pizza stone(sits on griddle) with some budget pizzas from Saintsbury's, and they were fine, looking forward to making our own specials!

Don't eat that differently in the van to when we are at home. Probably eat more meat when we are away and have a few more BBQs and fires :) As others, we like to "shop local" when travelling, so have a cupboard full of basics and pick up fresh stuff along the way.

Best thing we've found for cooking is a small pressure cooker. Saves a huge amount of cooking fuel and water.

And as for cooking baked beans...oh yes...from scratch, over a wood fire...best baked beans ever!

Bv5NxPKIgAA5tEj.jpg

(I tend to use this simple recipe: http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/baked-beans/)
Have you seen the Mel Brooks take on 'baked beans around the campfire', as portrayed in the film Blazing Saddles'?
Think I might be careful who I park next too!

Just treated ourself to a Cobb, need to escape at weekend to try it out. Our best toy is a roadpro 12v slow cooker. Works amazing, great for longer trips, load up in the morning & run in cupboard while driving. Used it a lot this winter, afternoon on the slopes & diner ready when we got back to the van. We now cook and freeze extra at home & pop a few dishes in the fridge to take away. Nice to arrive & dinner on the table in minutes.

Hi, anyone had experience? Making toast in a Cali. I was looking at this kind of set up but have no idea what is best - thoughts? Ideas?
9175-3003101226442061514504.jpg

We have one of those. Used it once. Quite frankly I wouldn't bother as it was totally useless.
We have since bought a cheap toaster for use when on EHU. If not I toast it over the gas ring useing a fork.

Hi, anyone had experience? Making toast in a Cali. I was looking at this kind of set up but have no idea what is best - thoughts? Ideas?
9175-3003101226442061514504.jpg

I'm with Borris. I saw one of these for £6 in a camping shop and bought it. Uses up lots of gas, warms and dries out the bread but doesn't brown it. Then leaves you with a hot piece of metal which you can't move till it cools down.
Went to Asda and got a cheap toaster for £5 to use when on hook up. Doesn't take up much space.

We have taken home made bolognaise sauce to reheat and boiled pasta. Always have a tin or two of ready meals (stew/curry) and couple of packets of savoury rice. We have done toast and boiled egg for breakfast using this type of toaster, very quick to toast and very compact when folded away. When cooking outdoors we use a Cadac Safari Chef which we have done steaks on (don't want to fry anything in the van!), or else it's the pub/fish & chip shop or whatever is nearby :)

what toaster did u use for your bread?

Having tried the cheaper camping toasters I now have one of these, http://ridgemonkey.co.uk/ . The XL at £16.99 is by far the best camping toaster I've come across.

I'm with Borris. I saw one of these for £6 in a camping shop and bought it. Uses up lots of gas, warms and dries out the bread but doesn't brown it. Then leaves you with a hot piece of metal which you can't move till it cools down.
Went to Asda and got a cheap toaster for £5 to use when on hook up. Doesn't take up much space.

Look at a panini press Amazon or on offer brilliant for toast and toasted butties

It's something we picked up at a show a few year back, but I can't remember what its called. I've just taken a few pics on my phone and hope I can upload them direct below

We pack the two halves with our standard cookset inside. I was too lazy to attach the handles for the pics. Note the chopping board I have fitted over the sink (and the flowers from the sixties!)

View attachment 8191

View attachment 8192

View attachment 8193

Would it be possible to give me the dimensions of your chopping board please as it looks a perfect fit! Would it support an electric Kettle?
Thanks

Would it be possible to give me the dimensions of your chopping board please as it looks a perfect fit! Would it support an electric Kettle?
Thanks
Yes it supports an electric kettle easily.

Unfortunately I have nothing to measure with, we have sold our house, everything is in storage and we are in temporary accommodation until our new house is ready on 10 March. But it should be fairly easy to figure out, if there is a problem just remind me after 10 March :thumb

Any up to date recommendations for an electric hob? Just thinking that whilst paying for an EHU, might as well save on using gas. Not sure I want an induction hob as I believe these need steel pans and what we have in the van are aluminium (i.e. Ridge Monkey).

We've been using a small single induction job on the last couple of trips (there are loads on Amazon).

It works well, but we can't use our lightweight compact aluminium pans with it so we have to carry an additional, quite heavy, steel pan which eats up space.

I think we'll be looking for a small conventional electric job so will be interested to see what suggestions come up.

Any up to date recommendations for an electric hob? Just thinking that whilst paying for an EHU, might as well save on using gas. Not sure I want an induction hob as I believe these need steel pans and what we have in the van are aluminium (i.e. Ridge Monkey).
Induction is great as it is cold quickly after use as heat go into pan. I have pans with detectable handles. Tefel do suitable light weight pans, you only need a steel base, test a pan with a magnet. You can get a adaptor, a flat plate to put under your pans which will work on induction and transmit the heat to your aluminium pan. I have seen them in Spain but had no need for one as we also use induction at home and all my pans are suitable I am very enthusiastic about induction as it is easy to clean a useful work surface and lower on power.

1657118627440.png

Induction is great as it is cold quickly after use as heat go into pan. I have pans with detectable handles. Tefel do suitable light weight pans, you only need a steel base, test a pan with a magnet. You can get a adaptor, a flat plate to put under your pans which will work on induction and transmit the heat to your aluminium pan. I have seen them in Spain but had no need for one as we also use induction at home and all my pans are suitable I am very enthusiastic about induction as it is easy to clean a useful work surface and lower on power.

View attachment 95700
Thanks for the information. Found this on Amazon which would allow us to use our lightweight alumnium pans.

D8CAD65D-5F05-4401-9749-1122DD456023.png

We have used electric hobs and griddle plates for the last 25 years since investing in EHU for a trailer tent we had back then initially to run a fridge but it very quickly dawned on me that as we were paying for EHU we should utilise it. We have a double electric hob about 1500W which cost about £25 last time we replaced it and an electric flat griddle which we use as a barbecue.

We have used these all over Europe and only had 2 occasions when we tripped the supply both times in Italy. I honestly can't remember the last time I bought gas.

We have used electric hobs and griddle plates for the last 25 years since investing in EHU for a trailer tent we had back then initially to run a fridge but it very quickly dawned on me that as we were paying for EHU we should utilise it. We have a double electric hob about 1500W which cost about £25 last time we replaced it and an electric flat griddle which we use as a barbecue.

We have used these all over Europe and only had 2 occasions when we tripped the supply both times in Italy. I honestly can't remember the last time I bought gas.
Thanks @Karlos
I’m a bit slow twigging that I should fully utilise the EHU rather than gas all the time :)