Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG high revs downhill

Iron Van

Iron Van

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
i wonder if someone might know if I have an issue, or if this is normal?

A couple of weeks ago I changed my manual Beach for a DSG SE. Everything is great except when going down a steep hill. If I don't touch the brakes, it either indicates D7 or just D and idles. But if I touch the brakes it revs high between 3-4,000.

Cheers

Steve

Hi

Mine does the same thing. Seems to like to use low gears to improve engine breaking. I have also switched off the "Cruise" feature, as this did cause the engine to got from idle-revs to high revs as you describe. With Cruise off, the progression seems to be slightly better as it shuffles down through the gears, and so far I've noticed no difference in fuel economy.

Cheers
Mark

Are you sure you do not have the "Coast" function enabled on the Dashboard Multi function Display?

This is not something I have noticed on my DSG vehicle.

Regenerative braking perhaps. Bluemotion.Bluemotion.JPG

Last edited:
It's to cut in engine breaking.

I quite like it. A controlled, high rev descent downhill must do wonders for the DPF. It's about the only time that mine revs past 2500.

Yep - perfectly normal - engine breaking. Coming down Alp d'Huez was quite exiting in a DSG.

I only ever notice it on very steep hills.

T

I find it seems to get the balance about right, just as you start thinking "I would change up a gear here.." it seems to do so. Very occasionally, I'll knock it across into manual and go up a gear depending on the terrain.

Yep - perfectly normal - engine breaking. Coming down Alp d'Huez was quite exiting in a DSG.

I only ever notice it on very steep hills.

T
Yes I think you are right, we noticed it too going down hills. We have plenty of those around our area.

Next time don't leave it in D but use S .
Up and downhill , it works for me , as soon as it's flat road back to D

Another reason why manuals are best...

(covers head and runs away)

;)

Another reason why manuals are best...

(covers head and runs away)

;)

Must say i drove manual for more than 20 years , but on my Cali it could not be better than a automatic gearbox find it very relaxing to drive.
Took me 30 min traffic jam to get thru Lyon last thursday and the DSG made it o so easy....

Great response, you have put my mind at ease. I will try the 'S' mode just to see if it makes a difference.

Many thanks guys.

Great response, you have put my mind at ease. I will try the 'S' mode just to see if it makes a difference.

Many thanks guys.
So you drove downhill in D.....next time set it in S , a world of difference;)

I prefer to have coasting enabled and DSG in D. If you start to go over the speed limit or scary limit, it's easy to disable the coasting function by just dabbing the brake pedal, the engine braking will then cut in. This is what is happening when you use the brakes and the engine revs rise. Once you want to go back to coasting, just dab the accelerator, your Cali will then roll a bit further before it has to start sipping diesel again.:)

Engine 'breaking'? I hope not! Maybe engine braking...
I have a DSG and a have a love it hate it relationship. Smooth and relaxing for most of the time but frustrating at a junction if I need to do an emergency start. Of course it can only react to the prevailing road conditions where as you can see in advance when a change of gear is neccassary and act accordingly with a manual. I suppose that I could change the dsg manually but then that would negate having it in the first place. I bought my vehicle second hand. Manual would have been my preference but there were none around when I was looking.

I’m resurrecting this old thread to ask about an emerging behaviour with my DSG.

I have the coast button enabled and it works well, and I’m practiced at the little stab on the accelerator to re-enable coasting after using the brakes.

My ‘problem’ is that on fairly modest, low speed descents (ie all around my home) the van is increasingly choosing NOT to coast and instead to use the engine for braking. The change in behaviour seemed to have occurred after a service and I wonder if a new map has been applied to the engine and or gearbox?

The engine often revs well past 3k in doing it’s braking work which seems excessive for the very modest hills I’m descending. As in the replies above, I’ve taken to knocking it across into manual to select a higher gear and lower the revs.

Any thoughts?

i wonder if someone might know if I have an issue, or if this is normal?

A couple of weeks ago I changed my manual Beach for a DSG SE. Everything is great except when going down a steep hill. If I don't touch the brakes, it either indicates D7 or just D and idles. But if I touch the brakes it revs high between 3-4,000.

Cheers

Steve

Yes dsg in coasting mode is brilliant but does often selects too low a gear down steep hills / mountains . I knock into manual and select a higher/ better gear then back to auto when appropriate . Total control . Works well .

Mine switches from coast to engine braking when going down steeper hills but im guessing you've traveled the roads before and this is a new phenomenon?

I’m resurrecting this old thread to ask about an emerging behaviour with my DSG.

I have the coast button enabled and it works well, and I’m practiced at the little stab on the accelerator to re-enable coasting after using the brakes.

My ‘problem’ is that on fairly modest, low speed descents (ie all around my home) the van is increasingly choosing NOT to coast and instead to use the engine for braking. The change in behaviour seemed to have occurred after a service and I wonder if a new map has been applied to the engine and or gearbox?

The engine often revs well past 3k in doing it’s braking work which seems excessive for the very modest hills I’m descending. As in the replies above, I’ve taken to knocking it across into manual to select a higher gear and lower the revs.

Any thoughts?
I’ve noticed a difference in behaviour over our 2014 model, this one is more prone staying in gear at lower speeds on modest inclines, so maybe yours has been “improved” by an update! :confused:

Last edited:
Morning to all,
Good to read of this behaviour of the DSG transmission, as I had wondered if it was to be expected, this series of comments has confirmed all is well. I purchased the "Red" as ex vw management and was not seeking to have the DSG, having been a fan of a "manual" transmission for many years, however, the DSG skips along nicely and makes heavy traffic progress, much more relaxing. I agree on large traffic islands ,you do need to find a reasonable safe gap to make progress, without , booting the loud pedal and then getting wheel spin..! , this is only the 150ps..! All in all, a very nice vehicle .:thumb

im guessing you've traveled the roads before and this is a new phenomenon?
Yes. Lived here 18 years, had the DSG approaching a year, but the tendency to do this seemed to increase after a service last month.

Engine 'breaking'? I hope not! Maybe engine braking...
I have a DSG and a have a love it hate it relationship. Smooth and relaxing for most of the time but frustrating at a junction if I need to do an emergency start. Of course it can only react to the prevailing road conditions where as you can see in advance when a change of gear is neccassary and act accordingly with a manual. I suppose that I could change the dsg manually but then that would negate having it in the first place. I bought my vehicle second hand. Manual would have been my preference but there were none around when I was looking.

At Junctions and roundabouts where I need a quick pull away I just put the box into ‘S’ when to avoid the initial hesitation, then back into ‘D’.

This isn’t specific to VW DSG by the way.... I have always experienced the same hesitation with BMW, AUDI/VW and Toyota Auto boxes and have remedied it with the ‘S’ thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes dsg in coasting mode is brilliant but does often selects too low a gear down steep hills / mountains . I knock into manual and select a higher/ better gear then back to auto when appropriate . Total control . Works well .

You can also do this without touching the gear lever if you have paddle shift - click it down (or up) on the paddle to change into manual, then when you’re done, if you ‘hold’ the ‘+’ (right) paddle for a long press, it switches back into ‘D’.

Apologies if folks already knew this but thought I’d mention it as I owned a Touareg for 2 years before actually realising/RTFM (about the long + bit).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back