Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fixing drive away awning

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We normally fix the Kyham to the top lip of the wind out awning but decided to try something different.
The Kyham has a slot in the tunnel between the van and main awning designed to take a pole.
We had some telescopic clothes props in the van which are normally used to hang the wind out awning sides from so canabalised thes to fit in the slot.
This then simply goes over the top of the Omnistor and I held it in place at each end with a couple of bits of bungee cord wrapped around the noggins normally used for the topper.
It gives a bit more height and slope which prevents water gathering so much on the tunnel and is a lot easier than battling with kador strips and figure of eights.
The other advantage is that it cuts down the gap between the van and the tunnel sides stopping wind and rain coming in.

This looks like an option especially to close the gap on the van sides. We have the Kela so not sure this is possible. Last weekend we used the top rim of the awning method and I was happy with this.

20150404_101902.jpg

I have just picked up my first Cali (a T6 Ocean with wind out awning) and have also bought the Kela awning but the dealer suggested that I can't attach my Kela to the wind out awning side as that is in the way of the channel, that can't be true can it??

@T6 Tom, I still haven't worked out how to post a link to a thread, sorry but there is one recently around this - with the wind out awning you apparently have to open the awning a away before you see the C channel where the awning or drive away kit threads through.
If you have a search around this topic you should find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
@T6 Tom, I still haven't worked out how to post a link to a thread, sorry but there is one recently around this - with the wind out awning you apparently have to open the awning a away before you see the C channel where the awning or drive away kit threads through.

AlisonF, I am new to the forum too and only just getting to grips with it. I did try searching the forum as I remember a thread that had pics of the C channel in the wind out awning but I cannot find it for the life of me now. I was worried it was something that had changed on the T6 and I had just wasted my money on an awning but if you have a T6 and say it's there that's good enough for me!

Thanks a lot

Just copy paste the url above the page and place it in a reply...

The thread name would be helpful enough, I do think the pics on the one I remember seeing a while back were on a T5 though which is why I was worried it had changed. I'll have a play with van tonight see if I can find the C channel.

AlisonF, I am new to the forum too and only just getting to grips with it. I did try searching the forum as I remember a thread that had pics of the C channel in the wind out awning but I cannot find it for the life of me now. I was worried it was something that had changed on the T6 and I had just wasted my money on an awning but if you have a T6 and say it's there that's good enough for me!

Thanks a lot
The drive away awning kit in the forum shop will make connection even easier.

I very much doubt that the wind out awning has changed. It is made by Thule and not VW.

If you wind it out by about 1/2 metre and lift the cover that hides the legs, you will see at the bottom edge of the frame a slot that runs the whole width of the awning. The Kador strip will slip into this slot. See picture above from Calikev

You will need 4 or 5 lengths of plastic Figure of Eight strips. These can be used to connect the second rib on the Kador strip to the matching strip on your awning. Slide one in at a time.

Once this is done, just wind the awning back in to tension the tunnel roof.

To drive away, wind out the awning a little, pull off the Fig o 8 strips and tie up the tunnel. Remove the Kador strip and wind in the awning and away you go.

One hint, before you go, use a couple of tent pegs to mark where your wheels are, so you can park back in the same position when you return.

If you haven't got them, all the bits are available from the forum shop and other reputable campervan/mobile home equipment dealers.

Hope that helps.

P.S. There is another way to do this which lifts the tunnel slightly higher. Use the Fig o 8 strips on the top edge of the legs cover and slide the tunnel rib into the top slot. Bit more of a pain to do but does give you more headroom and less puddling when it rains.
Alan

I very much doubt that the wind out awning has changed. It is made by Thule and not VW.

If you wind it out by about 1/2 metre and lift the cover that hides the legs, you will see at the bottom edge of the frame a slot that runs the whole width of the awning. The Kador strip will slip into this slot. See picture above from Calikev

You will need 4 or 5 lengths of plastic Figure of Eight strips. These can be used to connect the second rib on the Kador strip to the matching strip on your awning. Slide one in at a time.

Once this is done, just wind the awning back in to tension the tunnel roof.

To drive away, wind out the awning a little, pull off the Fig o 8 strips and tie up the tunnel. Remove the Kador strip and wind in the awning and away you go.

One hint, before you go, use a couple of tent pegs to mark where your wheels are, so you can park back in the same position when you return.

If you haven't got them, all the bits are available from the forum shop and other reputable campervan/mobile home equipment dealers.

Hope that helps.

P.S. There is another way to do this which lifts the tunnel slightly higher. Use the Fig o 8 strips on the top edge of the legs cover and slide the tunnel rib into the top slot. Bit more of a pain to do but does give you more headroom and less puddling when it rains.
Alan

Alan, excellent and detailed description thank you very much. Should come in very handy when I take my Cali out for its/ours first excursion to Ashbourne in two weeks in no doubt very cold and blustery conditions trying to work everything out for the first time with two small children wanting my attention........ Is it too late to change my mind about a Cali (joking of course).

Thank also to everyone else who posted I will go buy some figure of 8 strips, probably from the forum shop.

Tom

Back