Genuine Bike Rack for Altera

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Has anyone changed bike racks from the Genuine California tailgate rack to a Altera...???
Finding the VW rack a real pain in the derriere.

Bugs the heck out of me that i cant get into the boot without removing the bikes.
Also, think its a pain always having the rack fitted when i only use it about once a month.
Lastly, gets in the way when cleaning the van.

So anyone changed the rack one way or another...???
:help

...so, is your rack going cheap? :lol:

Ian

(sorry, no experience, and no rack either - have considered one that locks onto towbar, however) - good luck

Tayls said:
...so, is your rack going cheap? :lol:

Ian

(sorry, no experience, and no rack either - have considered one that locks onto towbar, however) - good luck

Possibly.
Could be landing on the bay shortly

Still thinking about one; the VW one isn't even a consideration.

Thanks for link Kev :thumb

KernowLad said:
Still thinking about one; the VW one isn't even a consideration.

It has some advantages and is a well made piece of kit.
But after using the van over summer have found the dis-advantages out weigh the advantages...!!!

Not having access to the boot is a major pain, especially in such a small van where all space needs to be used best as possible.
When travelling, i am often only at a site for only 1-2 days.

Just got back from a 2 week tour down to Austria and my Altera did great service. I had 2 lightweight road bikes on it and could still open the tailgate to get at the boot / camping chairs etc. Did notice that with the chairs stored the gas struts are not quite strong enough to hold the tailgate open so you do need to let it rest on your back while getting stuff out of the boot. Other point to be careful of depending on the size and type of bike is that with the roof open the handlebars come very close to touching the back edge of the roof.
Bikes were very stable on the rack when driving and was getting around 35 - 38 mpg (140 bhp Beach) on the long runs so dont think it affected the mpg much if at all.
One of the bikes has very deep section wheels which the wheel straps were to short to fit around, easily sorted with a pair of toe clip straps.
Timed how long it took to remove the rack last night. 2 mins from opening the tailgate to the rack hanging up on the garage hooks. :D Putting it on takes a bit longer but still very easy.

Personally I love the VW rack. It holds the bikes nice and high, so you don't have problems parking in supermarket car parks (it can safely hang over the bonnet of most cars, meaning you don't have to take up 2 spaces)

I also like the fact the parking sensors still work with the VW rack. They won't work with the Towbar racks. I have the visual parking system, and I can see the safe distance behind with the rack up and with the rack down.

I often have 3 bikes on ours, and find it fine to open with the bikes on it. But I am strong and fit and I can imagine that for some this would be a pain. When it just has one or two bikes on it, it will happily hold up on its own, but with 3 or 4 it requires someone to hold it up. But whenever I have lots of bikes on the back, i also have lots of helping hands to hold it up.

I think the downside with the VW system is the fact you need to be 5'10 or above and good strength in your back and arms to easily fit bikes to the rack. My wife is strong enough but not tall enough (5'6") to fit her bike, but she doesn't mind demanding i do it and not getting her own hands dirty ;)

I used to have the VW rack on my T4 Cali but reading some other forums I was convinced to try the Altera on my T5 Cali. Here I am talking about the rear mounted one rather than towbar mounted.

The VW one was easier to get used to at first as the Altera seemed a bit fussy. Once used to it though, I found the Altera nicer than the VW rack. Not only is it cheaper but it seems better made and is certainly more attractive in my opinion. Some nuts were missing when it was delivered but the supplier very quickly sent me out some more without any fuss. Both racks are fairly easy to fit. The Altera seems more flexible. We carry 4 bikes and mine is a big Y frame which balks at standard racks. The Altera handles it very well. A test run and weekend camping (just 250 miles) was enough to assure me that the Altera is solid. With one bike on the rear door will hold up or with 2 bikes and no chairs. Otherwise it's the old broom handle trick. Shame VW didn't put a simple lock on the strut. Someone on this forum said they trusted the locks on the Altera and didn't need another lock. I wouldn't do it myself as a simple cutting of the rubber straps would beat the locks.

Overall it's at least as good as the VW one but cheaper.

Have been using one for a few years now and the Altera is a god piece of kit. Had between 1 and 4 bikes on it on trips that are of a few thousand miles and it has been perfect every time. Bit of a knack to put four bikes on with regards to moving them about and adjusting handle bars and seats to get them to fit properly. Leave a bit of time for this and don't try and do it ten minutes before you leave as it can increase stress levels a bit :lol:

cheers