Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grey water tank drain issue

M

MurrayR

Hi all. In New Zealand the waste has to be emptied using a hose and external valve. The issue is that the pipe leaving the van is also the breather for the tank. When the external valve is closed the tank can not breath and the sink is even slower to drain. Has anybody fitted a separate breather or is this issue only for us folks down under?

Hi Murray and welcome to the forum, I think we have two people now from New Zealand on here now. Do you have many Cali's out there in NZ as we get quite alot of traffic to the site from your area?

As for you question I think it must be something which is specific to down under !

Thank you for your reply. I have not seen many Cali in NZ so far. We have a campervan rental company that sell a Cali lookalike based on the VW T5. The Cali is much better for the price so when one came up for sale we bought it.
What do you do to dispose of your grey water?

Hi. On uk cali's there is a lever in the cupboard under the sink. And a drain off under the van. Although mine
Is still quite slow to drain.

Due to campers stopping and disposing their grey water and toileting on the roadside ( or in a bush just off the roadside) local councils and government requires campervans to meet a standard before they can "Freedom" camp. We have used camping grounds since we have brought the Cali but in the past we have parked the campervan off the roadway for the night as the campervan had a toilet and shower.
So if some of my questions seem strange it's just that we do things differently here. Thanks again for your assistance.

Hello, I Have a cali that I bought new in 2009..I have modified the grey water drain and installed a separate vent for the grey water tank...I have had the van inspected and we are now self contained certified, which allows us to freedom camp in many areas in Nz. If you want more info please pm me.

I also have a 2009 cali and am based in NZ (Wellington). I dump my waste water at the stock truck effluent dump points ... just drive over and open the valve, no need to worry about hoses.

I have only seen 2 other cali's in NZ in the 18 mths I've owned mine - a silver one in Auckand and a red uk import 4motion in for a service at VW in wgtn. I wonder how many cali's are in the country. I have a mate interested in buying a 4motion manual if anyone knows of one for sale.

Cheers

kahlda said:
Hello, I Have a cali that I bought new in 2009..I have modified the grey water drain and installed a separate vent for the grey water tank...I have had the van inspected and we are now self contained certified, which allows us to freedom camp in many areas in Nz. If you want more info please pm me.

How easy was it to get the cali self-contained certified? I thought you had to have a toilet and a big enough grey water tank for 3 days waste or similar sort of rules.
I'd be keen to get certified in order to freedom camp around Gisbourne and the Coromandel over summer.

Cheers

Hi,
A portable toilet can be used to provide toileting when using the California. The main issue is modifying the grey water tank to provide venting and a external valve and coupling to allow draining of the grey water tank at the dump stations. The fresh and grey water tank are only sized for two people to met the NZMCCA requirements. I am about to have my California inspected so I will provide more details once I have passed. Others will correct me if I am wrong.

We have had our California for around two months or so , the grey waste has always been slow it now its stopped draining altogether! There is water in the sink but its not draining away can anybody help, it's only 6 'months old!!

Hi spud is the waste tank full :?:

Hi Spud,
Sometimes I have used the sink plug as a plunger and with water still in the sink I push water down the drain using the plug. This has pushed whatever is stopping the water to flow for me.

Hello Spud

It is possible that the outlet from the grey tank (which collects sink water) is blocked at the tap.

Suggest you check as follows . . . .

Assuming tank clearly has water in it, open tap. Not draining out?? Then probably a blockage at tap. Fill sink up with water until grey tank is full - does overflow work OK?? This confirms almost beyond doubt that the blockage is in the tap area.

If water backs up into the sink, then maybe the overflow is also blocked?

Using a plunger does not always work, as the overflow pipe vents the tank and reduces the pressure buildup which would normally clear a blockage.

The pipe bore through the tap is quite small, so blockages can occur easily.

I have had to clear mine a couple of times (2008 model) - if you want more info, leave a post here.

Lewis

Hi Lewis,

I know this is an old thread but any chance you can advise how you go about clearing the tap.

My grey waste has stopped draining and any advice on clearing would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Chris

I cleared mine by directing a hose pipe up the grey waste outlet (in front of the near side rear wheel). The water pressure did the trick. Didn't want to put chemicals down sink and a sink plunger won't work due to the vent in the grey waste tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response.

I have already tried that and also the reverse method of a vacuum cleaner with no luck.

I suppose this leaves only chemicals or dismantling the tap. The tank is half full so need to look for some method of removing the waste before dismantling the tap.

Have a feeling it's gonna be a messy job :shocked

It is fiddly, but not too bad. Turn tap off at the drain tap, so the tank does not drain everywhere when you dismantle tap. Fill up the holding tank with water, if not already full - this gives a good gush to clear things out when you do clear the blockage. Park over a drain or similar - hard to stop the flow once you clear it.

Remove the side cover, around the tap, L H side of cupboard under cooker. If I remember rightly, Tx screws on my van.

Remove the pipe forming the overflow from the top of the holding tap - remove it from the 'down' side of the tap junction. The joints are hard to undo the first time you do it, easier subsequent times!!

Find a way of blocking off the now exposed union / connector (not sure of the technical term) that leads up to the overflow. A helper's finger?? I put a Hx key from a socket set in and secured it with tape, as I was on my own. The point of doing this is to ensure that all your air is directed up through the blocked tap.

Open the drain tap. Make sure the helper has finger firmly over the overflow pipe AT THE TAP, not at the bottom of the pipe. I then blew up the drain pipe with a lungful of air - and get out of the way!! The blockage cleared immediately with no problem.

Reassemble, and relax in a self-satisfied glow.

The above is as I remember from the last time I had to do it, about 3 years ago. The tap has blocked twice in the 6 years we have had the van. I have now got into the habit of giving the waste tank a good flush through with fresh water 2 - 3 times a year, filling the sink with a bucket, and no problems for last 2 years.

lewis

Many thanks Lewis. Blockage now cleared thanks to your help. Greatly appreciated.

Chris :upsidedown

Our sink has been draining very slowly. I have just poured down it 5l of near boiling water with 2 large spoonfuls of bicarbonate of soda. It now drains instantly.

Lewis, at first I had to read these instructions a fourth time before I understood. Then I thought this trick was only a big joke. But I tried and guess what... It worked! Wauw, a big hug for you all!

Could some one please just tell me if the 2017 CALIFORNIA OCEAN has a VENT for the WASTE WATER TANK. I have to get it certified here in NZ. If there is no waste water tank VENT then I have to have one installed. Thank you Doug. If no one knows this answer I will have to contact VW GERMANY FACTORY.

Hi Doug,
Pretty sure the Ocean will be the same as my California. There is no vent. I removed the refrigerator and ran a vent pipe from a tee fitting before the existing valve to a high point of the rear wheel well. The pipe uses the height of the wardrobe to make sure the vent outlet is higher than the top of the tank. Fitting the refrigerator once the pipe was in place.
I then fitted a valve below the van with an outlet to connect to a hose.
I have been lazy and have not got the van certified yet as we mainly go to camping grounds.
I can send some pictures if required if it helps.
Your looking in the right place as this forum is great.

I think you will find that there is a vent in the form of the overflow which drains to the outside at the same point as the main drain. You can confirm by overfilling the waste tank until it overflows outside. Would this vent meet the NZ regulations?

I remember that the vent is there but the vent must vent to the outside and the drain valve must be outside the van. So I separated the vent pipe from the outlet connection after the internal valve and ran it behind the refrigerator into the wardrobe and above the height of the sink and to the rear wheel well.
I hope this helps.