Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello From Switzerland and question about bike rack

• Thread starter 13CharactersIsALongName
  • Start date

13CharactersIsALongName

Vehicle
T5 HighTop
Hello, my friend and I, both in our 60s, just bought a T5 Ocean year 2012. We are about to go in vacation for a week starting this Friday, but we realise that there is a problem with our Thule trailer-hook-mounted bike rack: we can no longer open the back door since the mechanism that grabs the trailer hook is about 1-2 mm too high. I know that there are models that are compatible with the T5, but I have not been able to find out which ones. If there is a list somewhere, it would be great to have it.

Thank you for any help, and I am looking forward to seeing you on the road.
Bixio

Hello, my friend and I, both in our 60s, just bought a T5 Ocean year 2012. We are about to go in vacation for a week starting this Friday, but we realise that there is a problem with our Thule trailer-hook-mounted bike rack: we can no longer open the back door since the mechanism that grabs the trailer hook is about 1-2 mm too high. I know that there are models that are compatible with the T5, but I have not been able to find out which ones. If there is a list somewhere, it would be great to have it.

Bixio
Hello and welcome! Greetings from Luzern.

I highly highly suggest you take a look at the MFT system. It's modular and folds down low enough to open the tailgate. Here's a link to the shop in Switzerland where I bought mine:

Bixio
Greetings from Aargau. :)

I've a Thule Velospace XT3, it's a good, solid carrier, not the cheapest though. You need to move the hinged retaining cable to its inboard hole to allow the tailgate to open, a simple 5 min job. Once done I've had no issues with the tailgate even when my DH bike is on with 800m wide bars.

Hello and welcome! Greetings from Luzern.

I highly highly suggest you take a look at the MFT system. It's modular and folds down low enough to open the tailgate. Here's a link to the shop in Switzerland where I bought mine:

Thank you for your suggestion, I will look into it. Are you referring to the MFT BackPower?

Thank you for your suggestion, I will look into it. Are you referring to the MFT BackPower?
Yes, that would be for bikes. You will need the base module called the BackCarrier and then can use that module. I also have the BackBox and had it custom painted to match my van (Starlight Blue).

It's really a fantastic system and lowers easily to access the tailgate.

I've a Thule Velospace XT3, it's a good, solid carrier, not the cheapest though. You need to move the hinged retaining cable to its inboard hole to allow the tailgate to open, a simple 5 min job. Once done I've had no issues with the tailgate even when my DH bike is on with 800m wide bars.
Thank you, I'll check into this. Would be nice if I can find a second-hand one on the internet.

Yes, that would be for bikes. You will need the base module called the BackCarrier and then can use that module. I also have the BackBox and had it custom painted to match my van (Starlight Blue).

It's really a fantastic system and lowers easily to access the tailgate.
Hi i am also thinking about purchasing mft box can you confirm if the reverse camera is still able to operate or is the view blocked?

Hi i am also thinking about purchasing mft box can you confirm if the reverse camera is still able to operate or is the view blocked?
I can only comment with the BackBox mounted and it does block the reverse camera. This is likely the case with anything mounted on the rear. I have a rear dashcam I mounted at the top of the rear window that I can use if necessary.

I have the Altera Strada DL3. I think it's well made but I just mounted it today for the first time and haven't used it yet.

My 29" MTB with 73 cm handlebars needs to be on the middle track in order for the tailgate to pass without difficulty. If need be, I can get it to pass also on the first track but it takes a bit of tweaking.My 26" MTB with 60 cm handlebars can be placed on anywhere.

IMG_9459X.jpegIMG_9461.jpeg

I did end up buying the XT3 and I am very happy with it. Thank you for the recommandation!