Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is book price for new Cali negotiable?

John

John

VIP Member
Original post linda

Never having taken the plunge before , I was wondering if it's acceptable to haggle for a good deal on a new Cali or will I embarrass myself by trying?

Original post Ron

Yes it is ...if you are paying cash (i.e. no p/x ) you should get at least £3K off list. I simply emailed a Cali dealer and that's what they offered me without trying too hard. I'm looking for £4K and will let you know how I get on.

Original post jules

found a site like drivethedeal.com or similar will give you a good bench mark of the sort of deal you can get if you shop around. It certainly worked for me.

Original post Ron

I was amazed at the discount that you can get on a new Cali from drivethedeal.com...£5,500 discount on a 180 DSG 4 Motion plus a few options

I called them to enquire and the Cali would be brand new from a UK VW main dealer, no additional charges to pay and you pay the dealer direct upon delivery. Can't see any problems with this.

Has anybody used drivethedeal.com or similar and can tell us if it is as good as it looks?

Original post mark

One thing to consider when buying from a broker like drivethedeal is that they will have fixed dealers who they work with and the dealer may end up being the other side of the country from where you live. With a complicated beast like the Cali, it may pay to have the dealer (from which you purchased) within a 1-2 hr drive from home in the event you run into issues. Having said that, any local VW dealer is obliged to sort any warranty issues out for you.

Original post jules

Hi Mark. My first Cali was purchased from Worcestershire and any warranty work has been carried out in Southampton or Poole with no issues. To be honest with a pan European warranty I don't think it really matters where you buy it from. My new Cali is on order and I'll have a six hour trip up north to collect it but the difference in price, in comparison to my local dealer, was massive. Jules

Original post jules

Ron. Didn't use drivethedeal but you can get a similar price from a main dealer if you haggle hard. I know some one who has used them to buy a VW (not a Cali) and they were delighted with the service the received. Jules

Original post Ron

Thanks guys for your input. I'm going to try our local main dealer first and ask him if he can give me around £5,500 discount!? Can you imagine what the reaction will be?

Original post jules

Thanks for all your help folks,
really appreciating the info on here and the Facebook forum, feeling informed and ready to haggle

Original post brother10

Hi to the new forum and my response to New Cali Prices.

I have a 140 on order for delivery sometime in Nov. Thought a breakdown in prices might help you. The basic price is 34,959.
Add - Metallic, Awing, Privacy, Climatronic, F/R Sensors, MFSW which brings the price to 37,209. They knocked 3,337 from that and then added 520 for delivery, 6,900 VAT, 1st reg 55 and Road tax at 215 - I will leave you to do the maths. Bear in mind I am a rubbish haggler, I didn`t feel too cheated. The other consideration, I only lost £500 on my 2 year old 2.5 130 when I sold it. Look after it and it will look after you and will depreciate at a much slower rate than a top spec car. Who camps in a BMW or Merc? Haggle harder than me - cash is king. Good luck.

Bob

Original post linda

Deed is done! Sooooooooo excited , and very happy with deal from Paul at SMG Tonbridge

Original post Martin

Excellent news Linda, what did you end up getting? Spec ,colour etc..?

Original post linda

Fresco green 180DSG with Climatronic, parking sensors, lane change assist, awning and a big cheesy grin!

Original post coordinated

Linda and I also ordered...

... the tailgate bike rack, roof bars, tow bar, rear bumper protector, safe, tinted windows, tyre pressure sensors, multi-function steering wheel controls, and the charcoal filter ... in a pear-coloured Cal-i!

We weren't sure about the lane change assist, as it might be an expensive fix if the mirrors get bashed, but figured that if it only ever saves us from one scrape it'll have paid for itself.

Hope the Fresco Green's ok, as we've only seen photos(!) - we just wanted something which'd blend in with the countryside. Was tempted by the Night Blue though.

Orginal post linda

Paul told us to expect 6 month wait so April, maybe earlier if we're lucky (he's going to let us know the build date when he has it)

Original post jules

Great news Linda. We have a Natural Grey DSG on order also for April delivery. Some people, on the FB site, have been saying the supply of DSG gearboxes has improved and delivery is happening much sooner. You never know you might be lucky.

Original post BerndRos

Mine is Fresco Green, goes really well with the colour of the roof canvas. Chose my colour from a pic, never seen another one in the flesh.

Original post v3rn - Nic & Helena

I used my local dealer to work out what options I wanted (although they were pretty useless in terms of their Cali knowledge) and then put together the spec of the van I wanted with all the options. I then used the VW website to get all the email addresses of the sales people within 100 miles and emailed them asking them to quote me.

The result was I got 10% off (about £4,800). It took me all of 30 mins. I had two garages that quoted the same discount and both were within 40 miles. My local dealer only offered half the discount so they didn't get the sale (but they do get to service it).

The dealer also signed me up to free servicing for 3 years or 45,000 miles (something I didn't ask for or pay for), I was very chuffed.

So shop around. I knew more about the van when I picked it up than the dealer as I'd read the superb forum, so thank you everyone, you made my handover a doddle.

Original post Ron

A cracking deal 10% plus free servicing for 3 years, well done!
No wonder you're chuffed - we hope we get as good a deal as yours.

Original post Mark

ours is Fresco Green and love it, also doesn't show dirt too bad either. Also rear bumper guard is top buy as saved ours from few scratches.

John said:
Original post Ron

I was amazed at the discount that you can get on a new Cali from drivethedeal.com...£5,500 discount on a 180 DSG 4 Motion plus a few options

I called them to enquire and the Cali would be brand new from a UK VW main dealer, no additional charges to pay and you pay the dealer direct upon delivery. Can't see any problems with this.

Has anybody used drivethedeal.com or similar and can tell us if it is as good as it looks?

I used auto ebid and took the quote for the local garage to try and match, got 9% discount on list prices

Hi Swaleuk, was the 9% on the ex VAT price? Based on info from others on the previous incarnation on this forum, I asked for a 10% discount - and got it, but it was on the ex VAT price. No quibbles about the discount but the lack of negotiation on it makes me think I could have gone in harder and got more! In hindsight (or as a recommendation to others) I'd ask for a money value discount rather than percentage discount.
Steve

Back