Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

I suppose the fact that the pop top has a solid roof and therefore it’s only the vertical sides that are material means that they can get away with a lower hydrostatic head, as you won’t get water pooling. In turn that probably means the material is more breathable ? The seams will always be the weak points, and presumably there is a reason they don't/can’t tape them. Hence does seem a bit odd that they don’t treat the seams.
I bought a can of Aquatex but haven’t used it yet - also haven’t had any leaks in my 04S yet - and have to say I am increasingly tempted to use the Aquatex rather than wait for the proverbial rainy day (pun intended

The instructions for the Aquatex states : The fabric to be treated should be free of dirt, grease and grime. If necessary, wash with warm water. On no account should soap powder or detergent be used.

On that basis, I would be applying the Aquatex sooner, rather than later, whilst the bellows are still new and not in need of a clean.

My bellows leaked on the first outing in the rain, so I used Aquatex at a very early stage. It stopped the leaks and we haven't had any since despite several exposures to reasonably strong rain and wind.
My experience too, don’t regret applying Aquatex and think there was a benefit of applying to a new bellows.

Picked up the new van in April, build date Feb 24 with 04S bellows. Bellows leaked in the first week so booked van in for investigation and just had version 05S fitted yesterday.

Literally everyone in this thread wants you to get hosepiping those bad boys right this minute

Who is your dealer?

The instructions for the Aquatex states : The fabric to be treated should be free of dirt, grease and grime. If necessary, wash with warm water. On no account should soap powder or detergent be used.

On that basis, I would be applying the Aquatex sooner, rather than later, whilst the bellows are still new and not in need of a clean.

My bellows leaked on the first outing in the rain, so I used Aquatex at a very early stage. It stopped the leaks and we haven't had any since despite several exposures to reasonably strong rain and wind.
My bellows haven’t leaked to date and I do tend to use a wrap on some trips anyway. However, I might use Aquatex in the future. Can I ask. Is it a spray can? and if so, how many cans did you need?

Picked up the new van in April, build date Feb 24 with 04S bellows. Bellows leaked in the first week so booked van in for investigation and just had version 05S fitted yesterday.
Which dealer was that please...

It went into Preston on Tuesday, I had a call in the afternoon confirming that it needed new bellows and that they were in stock and would be delivered to them overnight. Don’t think they knew anything about them being 05S. They did say on collection yesterday that these are the latest version

It went into Preston on Tuesday, I had a call in the afternoon confirming that it needed new bellows and that they were in stock and would be delivered to them overnight. Don’t think they knew anything about them being 05S. They did say on collection yesterday that these are the latest version
Can you post a picture of the tag on here.

My bellows haven’t leaked to date and I do tend to use a wrap on some trips anyway. However, I might use Aquatex in the future. Can I ask. Is it a spray can? and if so, how many cans did you need?
One can was sufficient to put two coats on the inside and outside front seams/stitching and on the long and short vertical stitching/seams on each side.

I then used less than half of a second can to treat the stitching around the two side windows. Again, I applied two coats allowing a good few hours between coats.

I didn't treat the main fabric as I had no leaks coming through it.

I ended up with around 2 to 3 cm of overspray going onto the fabric either side of the seams/stitching. After the Aquatex had dried there were no signs of any discolouration or overspray visible. When the bellows are in heavy rain, the oversprayed areas appear slightly darker, but once dry, you wouldn't know Aquatex had been applied.

One can was sufficient to put two coats on the inside and outside front seams/stitching and on the long and short vertical stitching/seams on each side.

I then used less than half of a second can to treat the stitching around the two side windows. Again, I applied two coats allowing a good few hours between coats.

I didn't treat the main fabric as I had no leaks coming through it.

I ended up with around 2 to 3 cm of overspray going onto the fabric either side of the seams/stitching. After the Aquatex had dried there were no signs of any discolouration or overspray visible. When the bellows are in heavy rain, the oversprayed areas appear slightly darker, but once dry, you wouldn't know Aquatex had been applied.
Thanks for that. That’s exactly what I needed. Think I’ll get two cans to be safe.

You can by a small aerosol or a litre bottle. I bought a litre bottle and £3 refillable plastic spray bottle from Dunelm and that does me perfectly

Thanks for that. That’s exactly what I needed. Think I’ll get two cans to be safe.
Can I ask recent posters if Aquatex has been effective on previous iterations of bellows ( 03S ) as well as 04S . If so , pressing for latest bellows may be unnecessary if they need the same treatment….

Can I ask recent posters if Aquatex has been effective on previous iterations of bellows ( 03S ) as well as 04S . If so , pressing for latest bellows may be unnecessary if they need the same treatment….
Also has anyone applied Aquatex to coloured bellows…..

Mine is 03S bellows from Sep 23. Aquatex (and Fabsil) seems to work fine on mine. I agree with other posters that the fabric doesnt seem to be the problem - it’s the seams

Yes spray can and only 1 needed as you only spray the stitched seams inside and out.
I did buy 2, 1 as a spare.

Was just about to pull the trigger on Aquatex, but may wait to see how the 05S does, good luck @Bibs!. I have 03S and not really bothered to test them, use a pop top cover, when recently in Europe we had 2 massive overnight storms, so thank god!

unlike the old ones then.a quick google says mimimum hydrostatic head of 1000mm is needed to keep you dry in a rain shower and is ok for desert camping. a hydro head of 300mm is terrible,you may as well make the canvas from an old cardigan. that is utter bullsh1t sales man talk. 300mm is used for sun shades for crying out loud
The HH is a lot more than 300mm for the dual skin fabric and considerably more than the 02S.

Just had my T6 bellows replaced via insurance on the 10th May - 04S. Did a spray test on a seam which beaded, then soaked in but nothing came through to the inside. Will be testing it out in Peak district next week.
20240512_152146.jpg20240512_152057.jpg

Back