Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking Windows - has anyone actually 100% fixed this?

D

da_murphster

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I've researched this to death to no avail.

I've had a wet passenger floor along with water in my pass side rear cupholders (T6 beach)

I went to tackle the wet floor first thinking it was the roof drainage pipe but they are all clear and I realised that the slope I park on meant the window leaks were eventually pooling in the passenger footwell.

So I need to sort the window out.

I have removed the window, cleared out all the drains, siliconed the seal etc but the drains just can't keep up with the rain.

I have seen that people replace the seal with something 'better'

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225982844399

So this would be my next thing to try but I'm wondering if they will always be crappy and I should just change the window to this:

https://camperglass.co.uk/van-windows/vw-t6-windows/vw-transporter-t6-windows/t6-window/

But I'm not sure if there would be a problem with the California Beach trim?

What success stories are there?

Open windows for several days to get the rubber seal to relax from their compressed state. Clean rubber seals, once dry treat with gummi pfledge / rubber conditioner. Leave windows open for a few more days. Repeat a few times per year.

I'll take a look at the gummi stuff.

T6 forum has a thread and people are putting 4mm tubing inside their current seal - I might give that a go.

What I dont want to do is waste hours and £££ when I could just have replaced the window for a couple of hundred.

Kitchen side window may need kitchens removal.

Kitchen side window may need kitchens removal.

Luckily not a problem for a Beach owner!!

I may have to remove the big trim below the window which I cannot figure out how?

I suspect the small drainage plastic trim beneath the circular drain holes may have become dislodged.

I'm also considering inserting 4mm foam into the window seals.

If that does not work I may seal it up for now.

What a pain.

Luckily not a problem for a Beach owner!!

I may have to remove the big trim below the window which I cannot figure out how?

I suspect the small drainage plastic trim beneath the circular drain holes may have become dislodged.

I'm also considering inserting 4mm foam into the window seals.

If that does not work I may seal it up for now.

What a pain.
I have one of these fitted. I got the first "test" one from the company who make them. I have had it on for a year now, no leaks even with window open all day on campsite.

Although a decent workaround thats not something I would be happy with.

I'd rather but the £££ towards an aftermarket window - just need to find out if it would work with the Beach plastic trim.

I've removed my window. Does anyone know why there's a hole here near the lock handle. This area looks to have been silicone up previously by someone so must have leaked from new.

20240509_163210.jpg

20240509_163142.jpg

20240509_163136.jpg

I'm going to end up replacing the sodding window aren't I. Also knackered uo the roller blind there. Does anyone know how that top trim comes off?

I've removed my window. Does anyone know why there's a hole here near the lock handle. This area looks to have been silicone up previously by someone so must have leaked from new.
There are two round drainage holes parallel to the drainage slits - do you mean these?

You cannot see the middle one without removing the slider.

I need to remove my slider again and see if my middle one is blocked as the front one was semi-blocked. Cleared it out with a small zip tie and washing up liquid.

No. Here and ere behind the lock handle. Also noted one of my locking bolts is broken nd the handle worn out. I've ordered a fatter seal and lock parts from ebay. These holes baffle me though as they are in the channel the seal sits in. If water gets behind the seal. Runs down and out into the van through these holes? They were siliconed up too and the van was only 1 yr old when I bought it

20240509_171613.jpg

20240509_171517.jpg

20240509_171741.jpg

The good news, and the only good news so far is all four of my drains are clear and working to the outside

Back