Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Original Wheels v 18' wheels - which set better ?

BigPritch

BigPritch

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Tried to do a search before posting, but couldn't find, so apologies if this has been answered before....

Just done our first trip away, and the guy before us had fitted some new 18' (VW), wheels.
They are black alloys and 'look' good.

But my question is :-

Am I better running on the original wheels (they came with the van, and have tyres on them, but in desperate need of refurb, which happy to do).
What advantage does an 18' wheel give me on - drive quality, improved mpg, improved handling, over the original oem wheels ?
Should I get the orig wheels done & sell the 18", or go with as is ?

Aesthetics wise, yes the new 18' look ok, but I'm really after driving benefits, assuming the originals will give this ?
Just done 545 miles over the week, with a lot of gear work, and still got 36mpg.

Many thanks for any advice/info, as be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Big Pritch

Tried to do a search before posting, but couldn't find, so apologies if this has been answered before....

Just done our first trip away, and the guy before us had fitted some new 18' (VW), wheels.

Am I better running on the original wheels (they came with the van, and have tyres on them, but in desperate need of refurb, which happy to do).
What advantage does an 18' wheel give me on - drive quality, improved mpg, improved handling, over the original oem wheels ?

Aesthetics wise, yes the new 18' look ok, but I'm really after driving benefits, assuming the originals will give this ?
Just done 545 miles over the week, with a lot of gear work, and still got 36mpg.

Thanks,
Big Pritch
Normally the bigger the wheel then the recommended tyre will have a lower sidewall, not good with potholes, and tend to run with higher pressures so a harder ride. Also you cannot have a same size spare wheel/tyre, won't fit in the carrier.

Normally the bigger the wheel then the recommended tyre will have a lower sidewall, not good with potholes, and tend to run with higher pressures so a harder ride. Also you cannot have a same size spare wheel/tyre, won't fit in the carrier.
Thank you WelshGas, great info and very much appreciated...

18 for looks.

>18 for comfort.

Happy with our 18s but potholes can be a b*tch and had two slow punctures.

Edit - meant LESS than 18.

Last edited:
How about 17s and lowered suspension?

18 for looks.

>18 for comfort.

Happy with our 18s but potholes can be a b*tch and had two slow punctures.
Is that larger than 18 inch for comfort?

It's the other way round re tyre pressures - the bigger wheels run lower pressures. Having tried 16" 17 and 18" rims on Oceans the 18" is a better ride than the smaller rims but the wider tyres mean a penalty of about 5mpg compared to the skinny 16" tyres.

Check yr fillings after each ride :D

TBH I have no experience of lowered suspension but assume they mean better corners but not a smoother ride.
Ride height has nothing to do with stiffness unless you’re daft enough to uprate the shorter springs fitted.

Thanks,
Big Pritch
We decided to stick with the original 16” alloys on our 2017 Cali, but did opt for the lowered suspension (30mm) as one optional extra. I thought in time I would want to put 18” alloys, and looked at this many times, as it makes the can ‘look better’ (looks more sporty, the bigger wheels fill the wheel arches better…) and the drive is supposed to be more sporty (firmer - which is both positive & negative).

However, we lived with it, then gradually realised our Cali isn’t a vehicle we often drive quickly, so the 16” wheels have been brilliant in all respects. And they are almost impossible to kerb because the walls are 65s (215/65/R16)

We switched to 16” 205’s about a month we sold our van as wanted to keep our 17” 215’s alloys for our ‘new’ 2nd hand van - which came with steels.

Ride on the smaller wheel was firm but in a good way; van seemed more responsive & mpg increased, felt the drive was better for spirited driving.

So would try to drive a few vans (Cali or transporter) with different setups and see which you prefer.

Back