Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sat Nav Bean Bag

Good find there mate I hate things stuck to the windscreen :thumb :thumb

Garmin strretpilot Sat Navs have these with them, make them easy to move from vehicle to vehicle. I believe they are available for the Nuvis as well.

%2524%2528KGrHqZ%252C%2521kwE-nNShph%2529BP8FNjOEMQ%257E%257E60_12.JPG

I have just bought a Garmin Nuvi 2699 sat nav and would like to mount it on the dash without leaving any permanent sticky pads or marks. Ideally, I would like it to sit in the central part of the three-part tray on the top of the dashboard. Has anyone used a Garmin friction mount like the one posted above by Andy and, if so, does it fit in the tray? If anyone has any other suggestions for sat nav mounts, please share as I am confused!

Thanks in advance,
Maud

I presume it has a suction mount. My Garmin came with a nice Black painted steel disk that was stuck on the dashboard. Didn't look out of place at all. The suction mount then fixed to that when required. If your Garmin didn't come with the disk then you can get such disks off eBay. I think those sandbag mounts will be too big for the centre tray.
Just a thought. The ribbed floor of the centre tray can be pulled out. Would the suction mount fit and hold on the plastic underneath?

Thank you for responding, Welshgas :) My Garmin has come with a suction mount included but no disk. When looking at options in the Cali earlier today, I did wonder about the suction cup adhering straight to the plastic tray under the rubbery cover thing, but whilst it did appear to get a good hold initially, about two minutes later it took a sudden dislike to the plastic and fell down to the floor, crashing into the radio and DSG stick in the process. I think being a 6inch model, it is quite heavy and the weight was too much which (unfortunately) would presumably be the same with one of the dashboard disks like the one you used. I'm wondering whether I'm going to have to make or adapt something to weight the suction mount down somehow if a beanbag type mount won't fit :confused:

You can get the adhesive mounting discs on the usual online suspects (Amazon/ eBay) - I put one in the tray and used my Montar suction mount for my 5.5" iPhone, solid as a rock. I imagine it would easily hold a GPS of similar weight.

I got one of those bean bag things a few years ago with a Streetpilot 2610 - now long superseded. It was good but there is no way to mount the later Garmin sat navs to them.

The best mount for the Cali that I got was one from Home & Bargain or one of those places, about £1.99. It had a sticky suction mount, stuck to the central dash tray and stayed there for about 18 months. Then it fell off and wouldn't stay on again!

VW have changed the material on the later dash trays to a rubber compound and it is now unsuitable for mounting a suction mount.

The windscreen is a bit far away for mounting in my experience.

Colin

I made a fill in piece for the dashboard tray that has a smooth acrylic top ..
658cfa2a43bbb3d2eed23518da4aae97.jpg
4b329b3e5acdfe85f81dcd977ac60573.jpg
2758f4f2dde3cd20876f6e041acf9e63.jpg

Base is a spare rubber dash insert, filled with shaped wood and epoxied In .
Should have found a darker bit of plastic as it does reflect a bit but overall works well

The metal disk , using Gorilla double sided tape, will stick to the central tray, once the rubber insert is removed and in my experience will stay in place no matter what. Clean the plastic base of the tray with an alcohol wipe first.Will not look out of place, but you may not be able to remove it if you sell. Stayed in my Land Rover Defender for 5 years - no problem.

Looks a nice mod. I also mount in centre tray using a plastic disc (3m tape on its rear tomtom make them or ebay) once you taken the rubber tray out they stick on. Works well for us

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone; I think I will give one of the discs a try first and if it doesn't seem to hold properly on that either, I may have a go at doing something similar to your invention, Owen, but for the middle section. I really don't want it to fall down when I'm driving so as long as it is well and truly secure, I guess any permanent mark is of minimal importance in the long run.
Thanks again; there is always so much great advice on here and it is much appreciated!
Maud

I have just bought a Garmin Nuvi 2699 sat nav and would like to mount it on the dash without leaving any permanent sticky pads or marks. Ideally, I would like it to sit in the central part of the three-part tray on the top of the dashboard. Has anyone used a Garmin friction mount like the one posted above by Andy and, if so, does it fit in the tray? If anyone has any other suggestions for sat nav mounts, please share as I am confused!

Thanks in advance,
Maud

I have a Nuvi Garmin with the sandbag thingy and it sits comfortably on the centre dash tray with the cable tucked tidily underneath.

There is a soft metal plate inside which allows you to mould it slightly to a shape, that means it will fit any shaped dash top.

Stays put and works well.

Alan

Thank you, Welshgas and Alan! I am going to take a trip to Halfords to see the Nuvi sandbag friction mount as I do like the idea of using something which is completely removable. The disc on your link does look good though, Welshgas so I think I will order one as a backup.

Thanks again,
Maud

IMG_2627.jpg IMG_2629.jpg IMG_2630.jpg I went to look at a Garmin friction mount (beanbag one) in Halfords and was surprised at how small it was. As AlanC said, the non-slip base is firm but malleable so can be shaped to fit the inset tray and the four little beanbags are very heavy so keep it securely in place. I have been out for a short drive to test it on corners etc. and it didn't even wobble or vibrate, let alone fall off as the mount has its own arm attachment, meaning the suction mount isn't needed at all. I did look at the air vent mounts, snowy55, but it seems that they aren't recommended for the 6 and 7 inch models (I can see why as they would block other controls on the dash). I am really pleased with the friction mount now and would recommend it.

Thanks again for all your help and advice everyone; it really is very much appreciated as always!
Maud

Back