Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Seat rail question when passenger seats

P

Pignik

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi. I've just got a Beach - I'm just getting my head around the configurations. To remove the two rear captains seats should the rails have cut outs? The front part of both sets of rails looks newer (and the van was used just as a people carrier before). Couple of questions:

- I think I can prise the sections out to remove the seats but am I missing something?
- Are the front end of the rails usually separate; should I be able to replace them easily/cheaply enough?

Thanks!

IMG_3463.jpg

Yes you do need to remove the ends I’m guessing you have a T6 Beach

You remove the two plastic end caps (gently prise with screwdriver or something) and then slide the rails forward to make them easier to lift out. Then the seats can slide forward to the place where you can then (hernia permitting) lift them out.

You remove the two plastic end caps (gently prise with screwdriver or something) and then slide the rails forward to make them easier to lift out. Then the seats can slide forward to the place where you can then (hernia permitting) lift them out.
I tried that and the front of the seat comes out but there's not enough space for the back fixings (the driver's seat is in the way). I recall someone showing me the rails with cut outs that I figure the back fixings come out of...

You will see from your photo that in front of the captains seat there is a short section of alluminium track on either side of the grooves in which the seat slides and then a grey plastic end piece immediately before the section with the chrome securing eye. To remove the seats you have to first remove the grey plastic end piece by inserting a screw driver into the end of the track and prizing the grey end peice out. Once out the individual aluminium track sections can be slid forwards and removed. The captains seats can then be slid forward and removed. Be careful they are very heavy so get someone to help you. If the drivers seat is in the way then move it!

You will see from your photo that in front of the captains seat there is a short section of alluminium track on either side of the grooves in which the seat slides and then a grey plastic end piece immediately before the section with the chrome securing eye. To remove the seats you have to first remove the grey plastic end piece by inserting a screw driver into the end of the track and prizing the grey end peice out. Once out the individual aluminium track sections can be slid forwards and removed. The captains seats can then be slid forward and removed. Be careful they are very heavy so get someone to help you. If the drivers seat is in the way then move it!
Thanks

I thought that’s what I’d said but you obviously said it better! :)

Actually, you will find the manual has a good description...
There is a knack to it, however.
With the multiflex board in, the rear seat can get in the way, meaning the single seats are not clear of the removable sections. I have a couple of little wedges that I use to hold the seat up which just gives enough space to wiggle the sections in or out.

Seat out, bed kind of figured out and hardly sweaty at - only slightly more than pumping up our eight man tent. It can only get easier.

While I'm here.. I'm just over 6.1, we're a family of five but often it's just three of us at sailing events. I'm thinking:
- leave one captains seat in the garage
- my gangly 14 year goes in the roof
- me and my 10 year old go downstairs with
a camping mats down one side over the bed (multiboard + folded out seat + folded down captains chair) and my 10 year old will have enough space without the captains chair.

Seat out, bed kind of figured out and hardly sweaty at - only slightly more than pumping up our eight man tent. It can only get easier.

While I'm here.. I'm just over 6.1, we're a family of five but often it's just three of us at sailing events. I'm thinking:
- leave one captains seat in the garage
- my gangly 14 year goes in the roof
- me and my 10 year old go downstairs with
a camping mats down one side over the bed (multiboard + folded out seat + folded down captains chair) and my 10 year old will have enough space without the captains chair.
That went quicker than expected - question is: does that sound about right or are there other ways to do this comfortably?

IMG_3464.jpg

Back