Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel (& other) whinges.

2CV67

2CV67

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Trying to "be prepared" before actually using our brand-new Cali (it's still too cold here!) I decide to check stuff like jack, spare wheel, towing eye etc etc.
Glad I did...

Surprisingly, the wheel nuts were not too tight for the spanner in the toolkit (a first)!

Tyre pressures were at a reasonable 3.0 bar all round (I put them up to 3.3) but the spare was too low at 2.8 whereas it should logically be higher than the others because it gets checked less often...
By luck or design, the valve on the spare was well placed for topping up.

The jack works nicely & the jacking points are clear enough.
Getting the jack handle positioned OK for reinstalling the jack in the toolbox took me a long time - you have to force it a bit?

I don't think anybody could remove the spare wheel by following the instructions in the handbook, could they?
Clipping the lug into the hole in the carrier means the wheel-brace points down so the carrier does not lower enough to remove the spare - even without a flat rear tyre!
I had to insert the wheel-brace the other way up (pointing up) to get the carrier low enough.
Did I miss something?

It seems very surprising that the spare wheel is available to any passer-by with a spanner!
Are there any smart ideas to deter theft?
I suppose I should have used "search" before asking that...

I completely failed to insert the towing eye.
The problem is removing the plastic panel round the fog light.
I released the catch over the fog light OK & started pulling the panel off, forwards, like the book says.
But I gave up when it felt as though the panel might break & nothing else had unclipped.
How should I be doing this?
What other retainers are holding it?

I had a look at the fluid levels, but was surprised to read that the engine oil has to be checked hot - never come accross that before - most inconvenient!
Although I remember the "good old days" when engine oil needed checking weekly if not daily, my current cheapo Japanese car has 230000km without ever needing a drop of oil between services, so checking oil level is now a rare event.
What can I expect in terms of oil consumption with the Cali 4-cylinder diesel?
Surely I don't need to carry a spare can??

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi

The best method to secure the spare wheel is a locking nut that fits adjacent to the nut on the spare wheel carrier. It costed about £12 when I got my Cali 2 years ago and gives great peace of mind. No doubt our friends at SMG will give you an updated price. Their delivery is superb.

It is a bit remiss of me that I have not tried the wheel brace etc maybe i am to reliant on VW breakdown cover!

I have never looked at the towing eye so I will be getting the manual out tonight to give it a once over.

As for oil consumption, I was alarmed to be given a litre of engine oil on purchase by my dealer when they stated the engine will use oil, but it sits there in the glove box unused. I am a frequent checker of tyre pressures, fluids etc, with the coolant having to be topped up once so far.

2CV67 said:
I completely failed to insert the towing eye.
The problem is removing the plastic panel round the fog light.
I released the catch over the fog light OK & started pulling the panel off, forwards, like the book says.
But I gave up when it felt as though the panel might break & nothing else had unclipped.
How should I be doing this?
What other retainers are holding it?

Nobody can help on this one?

Thanks!

This is as far as I dare go in prising off the plastic panel round the fog light, to get at the tow-hook mounting point:

tow_zps9f8fd021.jpg

What should I do next?

What sort of fasteners are still holding it & where?

Could anybody illustrate the fasteners?

I shouldn't ask if anybody has actually done this before, should I ??

My plan would be to telephone VW before pulling any further!

I'd try a little harder, remember they are designed to be user removable.

Clips can be a little difficult.

I gradually pulled them out, firm but not harsh.

Here's a pic of it on my pre-facelift... it may help.

[album]685[/album]

Possibly very similar.

Rgds
Mark

Yes, pull it out gradually and gently, starting by freeing the clip above the foglight (there is a square hole in the ceiling of the foglight aperture so that you can reach it). It will come out forwards on the outer corner and outwards from the inner corner if you see what I mean.

5 tabs top, 5 tabs bottom, one big tab on the outer corner, two pins on the inner corner.

I've had both mine off today to read the part numbers :D

Simon

Well, I tugged as much as I dared, then decided to visit VW to see how an expert handled it.

He just tugged a bit harder & off it came (just like everybody said!).

Since then, I have managed both sides several times with no problem.

Sure, the end near the middle of the vehicle doesn't move (the panel pivots round that end, then moves outwards to fully disengage), but pulling a bit more, beyond where I was on my photo above, was enough to start the cascade of unclipping with nothing broken.

Now I just need to get stuck in a muddy field for the final test...

Thanks for your patience!

Picture of the rear of the cover panel showing the clips; others may find it helpful when trying to remove the panel.

coverpanel.jpg

Towbar electrics make getting the spare in/out awkward.
Towbar electrics + factory mudflaps make it even more awkward :sad

Simon