Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sports Pack & Z2C

Viktorgeorge

Viktorgeorge

Starlight Blue Ocean 4Mo MY2023 older bellows
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Does anyone have direct experience of the acoustic benefits of Z2C?

I recognise from other posts here that Z2C, although appearing on the configurator, is only available as part of the 'sports package'. My question is purely is there a noticeable advantage with the Z2C element in terms of a quieter driving experience, ignoring the other 'sports pack' elements (black Springfields, black mirror casings, underbody trims & tinted rear lights).

I have seen this:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/z2c…-or-not.42015/

and from this post, and others it seems that the cab has thicker laminated side windows, though the windscreen is unchanged as it is laminated anyway. Plus the rear part of the van has a darker tint (possibly, comments vary) and perhaps different glass both sides and rear (ditto).

My dealer has is not well briefed, presumably because VW has not been very forthcoming.

I recognise from other posts here that Z2C, although appearing on the configurator, is only available as part of the 'sports package'. My question is purely is there a noticeable advantage with the Z2C element in terms of a quieter driving experience, ignoring the other 'sports pack' elements (black Springfields, black mirror casings, underbody trims & tinted rear lights).

I have seen this:

and from this post, and others it seems that the cab has thicker laminated side windows, though the windscreen is unchanged as it is laminated anyway. Plus the rear part of the van has a darker tint (possibly, comments vary) and perhaps different glass both sides and rear (ditto).

My dealer has is not well briefed, presumably because VW has not been very forthcoming.
I have driven a California without Z2C, and my new Ocean has it with its Sports Pack, and would say the difference in noise is imperceivable. I suspect the difference in heat gain from the laminated glass will be negligible (not least because it only applies to the cab windows - I understand the windscreen is laminated as standard). I understand the glass is more difficult to break, and so there may be benefits in making theft more difficult and a crash less dangerous.
I wouldn't tick the Sports Pack box for the Z2C glass.

I have driven a California without Z2C, and my new Ocean has it with its Sports Pack, and would say the difference in noise is imperceivable. I suspect the difference in heat gain from the laminated glass will be negligible (not least because it only applies to the cab windows - I understand the windscreen is laminated as standard). I understand the glass is more difficult to break, and so there may be benefits in making theft more difficult and a crash less dangerous.
I wouldn't tick the Sports Pack box for the Z2C glass.
Thanks you, Tim. That is precisely the feedback I was looking for.

I have seen this:

Double glazed to rear, good when on site!

Double glazed to rear, good when on site!
Thanks Pjduffil; by "good when on site" are you referring to: (i) sound insulation, (ii) thermal insulation or (iii) privacy (darker tint), please?

Standard now on Oceans.
Thanks Tim, so on the it is only the laminated (rather than toughened) glass to the front (cab) door doors that is added with Z2C, by the sound of things on the Ocean (and this code is unique to the Ocean).

Thanks Tim, so on the it is only the laminated (rather than toughened) glass to the front (cab) door doors that is added with Z2C, by the sound of things on the Ocean (and this code is unique to the Ocean).
I think that is correct, although I think you can spec the sports pack on a Coast? In which case you may get more for you money as I'm not sure the glass in the back is tinted as standard on a Coast?

I have seen a T6 on @itguy video that had a single glazed heated rear window, but perhaps that was an option?
Yes it used to be an option to have a single glazed heated rear screen.

Yes it used to be an option to have a single glazed heated rear screen.
Just when I thought all was clear, VW have removed Z2C from the configurator and added these options:

Acoustic package with heated windscreen
Price incl. VAT £ 516 ⁠1

• — Acoustics package "Extra"
  • —Heated front windscreen
  • —Laminated glass in front, privacy glass in rear
  • —Rear window
Then just below that at the same £516 price:

Heated front windscreen with heat reflecting glass

Then further down under SLI Equipment (not sure what SLI means)

Acoustic package
Price incl. VAT £ 750 ⁠1
Acoustics package "Extra"

• —Laminated windshield
  • —Rear window
Any thoughts or explanation would be welcome.

Just when I thought all was clear, VW have removed Z2C from the configurator and added these options:

Price incl. VAT £ 516 ⁠1

• —Rear window

Acoustic package
Price incl. VAT £ 750 ⁠1

• —Laminated windshield
  • —Rear window
Baffling! What I do know is sometimes features get listed as options when they are standard. Privacy glass in rear is standard on an Ocean of course…as is a rear window (I think!). I wouldn’t bother with a heated windscreen - apparently they work ok, but so does the parking heater, and how often will you really need it? Heat reflecting glass might be useful if you intend to head south in the summers. Always boxes to tick but I don’t think I would tick these

I Have an Ocean on order with sports pack and heated front screen (on order since June). I was contacted by the dealer this week to say that it’s a conflict on the configurator. VW cannot provide Heated Windscreen with the Sports Pack - so having to drop the heated screen.

I Have an Ocean on order with sports pack and heated front screen (on order since June). I was contacted by the dealer this week to say that it’s a conflict on the configurator. VW cannot provide Heated Windscreen with the Sports Pack - so having to drop the heated screen.
Very interesting - suggests the windscreen is upgraded with the sports pack? I know the cab glass is laminated with the SP, but had always assumed (after reading elsewhere) that all windscreens are laminated, so the upgrade was just to the the cab door windows…

Price incl. VAT £ 516 ⁠1

• —Rear window

Acoustic package
Price incl. VAT £ 750 ⁠1

• —Laminated windshield
  • —Rear window
My dealer has confirmed:

"... the available options in relation to `acoustics`, there is only one option which is combined with the heated Front Windscreen screen. This is Option Code P2C. `Acoustics package with heated windscreen. The laminated Windshield provides the enhanced noise suppression which is the `acoustics` element. The (SLI) £750 is not available or seen on any of our systems anymore."

I have decided to add this in to my order. No sure if I will ever use the heated screen (winters in the alps were pretty much over anyway, plus it now seems we are no longer welcome) and not sure what the acoustic glass will actually offer: all I know is our Phaeton glazing is amazing, my wife and I can whisper to each other at 100mph, so I shall live in hope.

Back