Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The demise of diesel!

Mmmm, that's all very nice, but will you be able to move a campervan to the Croatia with these? ;-)
Horses for courses. Will a campervan carry 26tonnes of load down to Greece?

To be honest many of those on the Forum who write about their experiences with EVs are privileged. The vehicles, charging points and electrical charges are heavily subsidised to get sales.
In years too come the real costs will become apparent and then the complaints will start.

Joe Blogs and his family living in a terraced house or high-rise block will be the big loser especially if he lives outside a big city with poor public transport.

Bring back the Trolleybus.

A pooling of resources is definitely a grand way of reducing consumption, but that doesn't make as much money for El Hombre de Tax so will never be pushed as part of the solution

I am lucky enough to own both an EV (BMW i3) and a diesel Cali. Different vehicles for completely different tasks.
I use the i3 daily - it costs virtually nothing (2p / mile) to run when charged off peak at night, and of course no emissions from my daily use. It’s a brilliant car for my needs. It has also made me a better driver and more mechanically sympathetic (looking ahead etc). The cost of battery production and disposal can of course be debated (I’ll leave that to others) but my philosophy is that this is my daily driver and I will use those batteries long long term. There is not much to wear out and I hope to be driving that car for many years.
The Cali on the other hand is for making family memories and having fun. We only really do long runs in it (not suited to EVs currently but great in a diesel), and only a few thousand miles a year. I also drive with a relatively light right foot.
I think it’s the individual’s overall carbon footprint that should be taken into account. Who knows, maybe Cali owners fly less (if at all) for holidays etc.

The Diesel engine in the Cali may not be ideal but the dog in the back could well be worse. I love a pooch myself but I read on the internet (so it must be true) that the carbon footprint of dog is almost double that of the average household’s electricity.

I am lucky enough to own both an EV (BMW i3) and a diesel Cali. Different vehicles for completely different tasks.
I use the i3 daily - it costs virtually nothing (2p / mile) to run when charged off peak at night, and of course no emissions from my daily use. It’s a brilliant car for my needs. It has also made me a better driver and more mechanically sympathetic (looking ahead etc). The cost of battery production and disposal can of course be debated (I’ll leave that to others) but my philosophy is that this is my daily driver and I will use those batteries long long term. There is not much to wear out and I hope to be driving that car for many years.
The Cali on the other hand is for making family memories and having fun. We only really do long runs in it (not suited to EVs currently but great in a diesel), and only a few thousand miles a year. I also drive with a relatively light right foot.
I think it’s the individual’s overall carbon footprint that should be taken into account. Who knows, maybe Cali owners fly less (if at all) for holidays etc.
Would be interesting to find out the typical Cali carbon footprint, although I would expect it's still high in the league of fossil fuel users, given glamping is probably described as a non-essential / luxury pastime.

It's all about the benchmarks; compare everyone to a Buddhist in a temple and we all look terrible, but compare one middle Englander to another middle European cousin and you're unlikely to find alarming differences.

It would be interesting @two-saabs to know the carbon footprint. I take your point on camping being non-essential although holidays are quite important for mental well-being and compared to flying somewhere the Cali carbon footprint would be pretty small.

China built more than three times as much new coal power capacity as all the other countries in the world combined last year.

That’s according to a new survey by the San Francisco-based think tank Global Energy Monitor (GEM) and the independent organisation Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air (CREA), which suggests China commissioned 38.4GW of new coal plants last year.

That translates to more than one large coal plant every week.

The research, which surveyed global coal-fired units through to 31st December, also shows 73GW of new coal power projects started in China, which is five times as much as in all other countries.

The report demonstrates Chinaʼs coal fleet grew by 29.8GW in 2020, while in the rest of the world’s net capacity decreased by 17.2GW.

We are just p......g in the wind, futile gestures, virtue signalling and wishful thinking, sad really.

Rather than comparing energy use and CO2 emissions country by country, a more useful measure is energy use and CO2 emissions per capita.

By that measure:
Iceland tops the list at #1;
USA #11
UK #41
China #62
Eritrea #158
For energy consumption.

Kuwait #1
US #14
China #51
UK #52
Burundi #158
For CO2 emissions by consumption.

Would be interesting to find out the typical Cali carbon footprint, although I would expect it's still high in the league of fossil fuel users, given glamping is probably described as a non-essential / luxury pastime.

It's all about the benchmarks; compare everyone to a Buddhist in a temple and we all look terrible, but compare one middle Englander to another middle European cousin and you're unlikely to find alarming differences.
Who built the temple?…

This is written very much from the "out of sight out if mind" perspective. You say "no emissions during daily use". Not strictly true, tyre and brake pad dust are nano-particulate (same for ICE) and these are known health hazards. You fail to acknowledge emissions caused by the mining of the speciality materials necessary for you to own an EV. These, and the accompanying environment destruction occur in China, Africa and S America, well out of sight and out of mind. Batteries are not long term items, 5 years at most. While these can and should be recycled this is not a zero emission process. Then the electricity. Where do you think this comes from? None of its production is zero emission. Take into account the materials used in the manufacture of concrete, steel, solar cells, carbon fibre, glass fiber and the polymer resins used to bind these together. To think and state an EV is a zero emission vehicle is sticking one's head in the sand. As said, out of sight out of mind.

Why don't we just say the planet has been totally screwed up by people wanting more "stuff" they don't need and start to recognise that first world consumerism is a disease out of control.
Nah, the planet will be fine, humans obviously enjoy being guilty about changes to the climate that have been going on for epochs and may be slightly accelerated by our current activities. What climate will the south of England end up with say at the end of century, will it be the same as South West France or Nova Scotia?
The scientists have a consensus about probable cause and effect but never actually definitively explain what the future holds other than more guesses, always worse than what we currently enjoy.
Take sea level rise, will we get the tidal range of St Malo (12 M) or Poole (1.2 M) we are never told, just vague end of the world is nigh stuff, again and again, just like a religion hey.

This is written very much from the "out of sight out if mind" perspective. You say "no emissions during daily use". Not strictly true, tyre and brake pad dust are nano-particulate (same for ICE) and these are known health hazards. You fail to acknowledge emissions caused by the mining of the speciality materials necessary for you to own an EV. These, and the accompanying environment destruction occur in China, Africa and S America, well out of sight and out of mind. Batteries are not long term items, 5 years at most. While these can and should be recycled this is not a zero emission process. Then the electricity. Where do you think this comes from? None of its production is zero emission. Take into account the materials used in the manufacture of concrete, steel, solar cells, carbon fibre, glass fiber and the polymer resins used to bind these together. To think and state an EV is a zero emission vehicle is sticking one's head in the sand. As said, out of sight out of mind.

Western governments have a fixation on production based CO2 emissions instead of consumption based CO2 emissions: the more they import, the more CO2 they consume is exported to the producer.

An imported electric car won’t count towards Britain’s CO2 production.

Why don't we just say the planet has been totally screwed up by people wanting more "stuff" they don't need and start to recognise that first world consumerism is a disease out of control.
Wait, wait wait… An Ayers Rock and a Cali…? ;)

It would be interesting @two-saabs to know the carbon footprint. I take your point on camping being non-essential although holidays are quite important for mental well-being and compared to flying somewhere the Cali carbon footprint would be pretty small.
Absolutely

No no, its those people over there who are screwing it up, we (whoever we are) are fine... now go support your country and buy something, anything!

When they get the facts and numbers right (whatever that is) with some real and consistent evidence that is believable, I will consider a change. Until then (long in the future I suspect) I'm going to live life as fully as I can in my new diesel Cali - when it arrives - hopefully next month. Trust no-one in power.

Back