Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

tow hook

debarros

debarros

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have to get a tow hook for my california. Any suggestions on best option?

I would go for the Westfalia removable, as per factory spec. We can get them done for approx £420plus vat, which isn't too far off the factory price. They are very neat, and hidden when not in use. A standard swan neck is approx £300plus vat. What makes these expensive is they had to be wired into thevanr at the front, and coded.

Oli

WENT TO VW DEALER AND GOT A QUOTE FOR £1100 POUNDS FOR THE TOWBAR SUPPLY AND INSTALL.

FOUND A LOCAL INMSTALLER AND HE SUPPLIED AND INSTALLED FOR £220. VERY HAPPY WITH IT.

does the indie installer's price include any wiring harness?

does connecting to the rear lights also deactivate the rear parking sensors when towing (which would be necessary otherwise the sensors would be continuously activated [I think])?
if so, this would be remarkbly cheap deal.

My parking sensors front and rear only engage when I have put the cali into reverse.

I'm told that brake wear can be greatly increased if the correct wiring hasn't been installed as the brake balance is also adjusted to cope with the additional load. Perhaps you would only see the difference when towing heavy things. It may be worth investigating before you get a potentially nasty surprise.

MKRW said:
My parking sensors front and rear only engage when I have put the cali into reverse.
Sorry mine do as well I must of been having a blond moment :rofl :rofl

Yes parking sensor only in reverse. There seems to be bo interference with any of the existing electrical systems. As I need the tow hook to get the boat in and out of the water only about four times a year I think I got a good deal. Not sure how it will react to the ramp water reaching the tow hook electrics as it sometimes does. The installer said it will work fine as it has some kind of wet prevention block. Watch this space....

it'll be fine if you wear ear defenders otherwise you'll go mental:)

the dealer's installation goes back to behind the dashboard to connect up to a variety of things.
i remember that disabling the rear sensors and overtaking sensors were two of the things highlighted in a long thread on the FB Discussion bit a year ago.
There were others, but I don't really remember what.

It might be worth asking the dealer what's involved ... just to check?

good sailing ...

Back from france where the tow hook was well tested. Worked fine. No problems with electrics nor with brake wear. So VW can keep its tow hooks at £1100...

anyone out there buying new...spec the detachable towbar in, its MUCH MUCH cheaper as factory fitted option and well worth it!
and soooo easy to take on / off!
£1100 for dealer fit :eek:

Back