Upgrade Kenwood DNX521DAB

JOHNB61

JOHNB61

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi - couple of questions:

First question:
I'm looking to replace the DNX521DAB in my 2014 Cali.
Kenwood DMX-5020DABS seems to be available - is it straight forward to swap them over?
I've read the download on removing the old unit, but will the cabling and plugs be the same?

Second question
I still like listening to CDs - is there a solution that is reliable that allows me to play CDs through the newer head-units that don't have CD players?

Many thanks

John

Last edited:
Hi John

does the vehicle have factory parking sensors ?

Hi - yes the Cali has parking sensors that work via the Kenwood (no cameras or anything though). Can also control the volume from the steering wheel.
Thanks
John

Hi John

the 5020 does not have a I/f port unlike a model like the Kenwood dmx8o21dabs

to display the parkings sensors on the 5020 you need a expensive third party interface that is graphically poor and horrible to install

The 5020 does not have the input for parking sensor display , if you look on the back of the 521 you see a black right angle plug/socket. Ideally you need a new unit with this type of input . The dmx8o21dabs has parking sensor input

the only way you can get the 5020 to display them is by using a more expensive third party interface that is graphically poor. Horrible to install , so you save money on a cheaper headunit but costs more for parts, and end up with a poorer setup

The 5020 does not have the input for parking sensor display , if you look on the back of the 521 you see a black right angle plug/socket. Ideally you need a new unit with this type of input . The dmx8o21dabs has parking sensor input

the only way you can get the 5020 to display them is by using a more expensive third party interface that is graphically poor. Horrible to install , so you save money on a cheaper headunit but costs more for parts, and end up with a poorer setup
Hi @Absolut5 Audio ltd
thanks for coming back - I’ve been out of the country for the last 6 weeks, so only just back to try to sort this head unit.
I’ve decided on the Kenwood 8021 given your advice, thanks.
What additional items will I need to install the unit in order to maintain steering wheel capability on volume and parking assist? (I don’t have cameras).
Many thanks
John

Last edited:
Hi @Absolut5 Audio ltd
thanks for coming back - I’ve been out of the country for the last 6 weeks, so only just back to try to sort this head unit.
I’ve decided on the Kenwood 8021 given your advice, thanks.
What additional items will I need to install the unit in order to maintain steering wheel capability on volume and parking assist? (I don’t have cameras).
Many thanks
John
Hi John

you require the following-
facia kit
Genuine Kenwood -T6 interface for park pilot
fm adapter
dab adapter

all stock items