Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 79 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.6%

• Total voters
Roof repaired in Sweden with no problems. The dealer complained to VW in Germany about this problem and that it had to be solved. My dealer was very helpful during the whole process.

Although a T4 Cali owner, I feel your pain folks. I have an emissions affected Mk6 Golf so am in a different queue! I note the suggestion of reporting it to Watchdog which is a very good one, if it succeeds, but surely there must be some general legal redress. Is there any inkling of success in this avenue? Has anyone reported the issue to Trading Standards, or is the problem now that the fault is "accepted" but that VW are taking literally years to sort it? I suspect that VW are also wearing people down I in an attempt to reduce the workload, as evidenced by some contributors having had repairs done outside the warranty issue. Some have clearly "sold" their problem on. Has this issue been reported through the VW media, such as VW Driver magazine, VWT , or Campervan magazine, in particular. I recall that a contributing editor on Campervan mag, Peter Rosenthal, was once heavily into VW's and worked for a now defunct VW mag called VW Motoring, so he may have a little extra sympathy. I've had a bit of bubbling on my van and sorted it, but at 15 years old and 146k miles, I will not be raising it with VW, . Good luck to all in this situation.

Wow!! I didn't realise that these £60,000 vehicles had such problems ! My wife and I have been looking and chatting to our local Vw dealer for some weeks now as we want to purchase one .
Still don't know which to order !!
Beach or ocean .
Knowing this has really put me off .
Maybe my initial thoughts of converting a t6 swb van with a hi low roof sound better!!!!! ( or a transit )
Hello Beareds,
As far as I am aware and I stand to be corrected but I am pretty certain that VW changed their production process about two years ago to eliminate this problem. So far I have been unable to find anything specific about this change on the forum but remember reading that it had been sorted out. I am not aware of any problems of this kind on newer Calis made since then. However it might be a bit early to assume that they have fixed the problem. I own two Calis, both made in 2015. There isn't any signs of this issue on them but you can bet your boots that I am going to get them thoroughly checked out before their warranties run out.

Last edited:
Hello Beareds,
As far as I am aware and I stand to be corrected but I am pretty certain that VW changed their production process about two years ago to eliminate this problem. So far I have been unable to find anything specific about this change on the forum but remember reading that it had been sorted out. I am not aware of any problems of this kind on newer Calis made since then.
Main raising roof problem still exists though!

Done. I have already had a poor repair done on the rear section of the roof (ie. the popup) and am awaiting contact with regard to the front corrosion.

Has anyone reported the issue to Trading Standards,

Yes I have contacted trading standards and they have my case on record. It seems that we have two courses of redress:

1. Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 the goods must be of satisfactory quality which I think it's fair to say they are not. In that case the customer is able to ask for either:
i. repair in reasonable time (i.e. not 3 years and counting)
ii. like for like replacement
iii. refund

Be aware that the fact we've kept our vans and had use out of them means ii and iii would be affected.

2. Claim under the given warranty. This again should be straight-forward since they have accepted the claims at least once for most if not all of us.

I suspect these approaches would at best get an individual bumped up the queue for the quickie-stick-a-patch-on-repair and wouldn't help the rest, nor give any long term warranty for the work.

For that reason I think we should try Watchdog and hope that encourages VW to do the right thing - apply the necessary resources to give all affected vans the full repair in weeks/months not years and back up the remedial work with a long warranty - in short, give us what we paid for in the first place.

Main raising roof problem still exists though!
Thanks Bigted,
I stand corrected.
Do you mean corrosion around the raised roof edge under the rubber seal? I thought that had also been sorted. Has this issue been reported on post 2014 models?

27 have reported to Watchdog so hope they take notice. But more would be nice.:thumb

Thanks Bigted,
I stand corrected.
Do you mean corrosion around the raised roof edge under the rubber seal? I thought that had also been sorted. Has this issue been reported on post 2014 models?
Correct-elevating roof section. I think there have been 1 or 2. Mine seems to be clear, but I will inspect closely in year 3.

27 have reported to Watchdog so hope they take notice. But more would be nice.:thumb
Does anyone know approx how many people are affected on the roof corrosion thread? Everyone affected and awaiting a repair or unable to because of the 6 year limit should be reporting this to Watchdog-now. There must be over a hundred and it will only get worse with future claims, report now and make the BBC and VW act. :thumb

Correct-elevating roof section. I think there have been 1 or 2. Mine seems to be clear, but I will inspect closely in year 3.
Thanks WG,
That's rather depressing. However, like you, I have no intentions of examining it until just before the warranty runs out.

Inspected our May 2011 Cali today and quite marked "blistering" of paintwork found on the leading and trailing edges of the cab roof panel. I can't see any problems with the pop-up roof paintwork but haven't disturbed the rubber seal to look underneath. On the basis of all the guidance given on this forum I understand that my next step is to get the vehicle to a VW Van Centre as soon as I can for them to carry out an inspection and log the defect with VW Customer Services.

When the Van Centre makes their inspection I will specifically ask them to look under the rubber seal to the pop-up roof.

So, I don't yet have a complaint against VW. I guess this means that it would be inappropriate for me to add my complaint to the Watchdog list.

My nearest Van Centre, I think, is Lookers Van Centre Glasgow Baillieston. I gather the same firm has another Van Centre at Darnley. I don't have any experience of either. Has anyone else used them to inspect and report on this issue? I could alternatively get to Edinburgh. Anyone with experience here?

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks Bigted,
I stand corrected.
Yes mine had it under the rubber seal round the edge - garage found it while trying to figure out why the roof was catching on one side when closing. It was less that a year old. The respray seems to be ok thus far and the roof no longer catches above the passengers door when closing.

So, I don't yet have a complaint against VW. I guess this means that it would be inappropriate for me to add my complaint to the Watchdog list.
How can you not have a problem/complaint, your 5 year old 40-55k VW roof is corroding??? My recommendation is that you add your vehicle to the watchdog list of unhappy owners. It could be at least 2 years before your roof is fixed. Please show support for all the affected owners by adding your name to the list, it costs nothing. :thumb

I can understand that but maybe another way to look at it is that VW know your van has a design fault that means it is going to corrode but were happy not to tell you. If you had gone another year without noticing it they would have refused your claim just like they have other vans outside the warranty period.

Are you sure they've treated you fairly? I think fair treatment would have been to contact you to say they know there's a problem with your van and they're going to fix the design fault so you don't suffer like their other customers have.

This is difficult. My roof was quickly repaired. I was leant a very nice, new California whilst mine was away and the repair has, so far, been fine.
In addition, the replacement bellows has developed a fault which, after 2 years, VW have agreed to replace at their cost.
Apart from the initial poor design, I really cannot complain.

I do not therefore intend to complain to Watchdog

But you did have roof corrosion, you must contact watchdog to help others who were just out of the time frame for the repair, like me. VW new about this problem very early in the production of the California

I can understand that but maybe another way to look at it is that VW know your van has a design fault that means it is going to corrode but were happy not to tell you. If you had gone another year without noticing it they would have refused your claim just like they have other vans outside the warranty period.

Are you sure they've treated you fairly? I think fair treatment would have been to contact you to say they know there's a problem with your van and they're going to fix the design fault so you don't suffer like their other customers have.

Mine included.

VW know's it has a problem: it knows that there is a likelihood of T5 California's developing roof corrosion.

The very, very least it could offer is for the vehicle to be inspected at regular intervals by an approved dealer. It would add 5 minutes on to a routine service or inspection, cost next to nothing, show respect for the customer and generate probably enough goodwill to overcome the bad will earned by selling a faulty product in the first place.

For those already experiencing the shambles of getting it repaired VW demonstrate contempt and arrogant disdain for the customer. For those who failed to spot it and then get told "sorry, 6 years is up", it must be almost heartbreaking.

Even for those like me, so far so good, it is arrogant dismissal of the worst kind not even to include roof inspection as part of the normal service procedure.

They don't need a kick up the "arris", they need a huge kick in the proverbial corporate wotsits.

VW know's it has a problem: it knows that there is a likelihood of T5 California's developing roof corrosion.

For those already experiencing the shambles of getting it repaired VW demonstrate contempt and arrogant disdain for the customer. For those who failed to spot it and then get told "sorry, 6 years is up", it must be almost heartbreaking.

They don't need a kick up the "arris", they need a huge kick in the proverbial corporate wotsits.

I did spot it, and was told "sorry 6 years is up"

We have submitted our story to watchdog. We have had a nightmare with our claim. When we bought our van in Jan it already had the corrosion problem but had the warranty claim approved. We were told we just needed to wait to here from the body shop. 2 months later so I contacted he garage and they said I had to just wait and be patient. I found the name of the body shop so contacted them direct only to be told they were waiting for VW to confirm if it was both issues. I then arranged for the van to be reviewed again by VW. They tried to submit the claim details and were told they couldn't as it was already in process. While all this was going on VW cancelled the original approved claim and in August we had to start all over again. We are now still awaiting approval of our claim. Meanwhile I have had several calls with VW customer care. Apparently the bosses of VW UK and VW warranty dept met last week to discuss the issue but I still haven't had my claim approved and am still waiting to hear from VW. I am very frustrated and the front of my van now looks terrible.

We've been waiting since early 2013 due to various cock-ups and terrible customer service from Shrewsbury VW. Had similar problems to the above as our claim was cancelled in August when we had a date for beginning of September and the process had to be started again due to VW changing the warranty process.
Have since gone back to VW Herford as their customer service is great although the body shop guy is just as frustrated as we are. Was told that our van would be collected by repair garage in Cannock, now I have to get our van to Hereford so that the garage from Cannock to drive by Shrewsbury to collect it from Hereford! Absolute madness and no idea when or if it will be repaired. Hopefully reporting it Watchdog will finally get some results.

Last edited:
Back