Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 79 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.6%

• Total voters
Sorry to hear that snowy I'm afraid I am one of the few that think VW haven't got a cure for the elavating roof part why oh why did then not look at this problem more seriously in the first place I now think VW are playing a time game and washing their hands of it. I hope you do get a better outcome than I think you will

Snowy, That is shocking on a 2 year old Cali, hope things get better for you.

Seems its a waste of time at the moment putting in for these repairs if it's just going to be a temporarily fix
A waste of time not only for the owner but for VW as well !

I must be lucky with my Cali,I done a check 4 months ago under the gasket and could see no signs of corrosion (not holding my breath) at the time

Panel above windscreen all clear

Van will be 4 years old in March

Alan

Just had notification from VW/Audi that the emissions fix for our Audi might be done in 2017..... Suggests the same VW tactic of bluff na promise but no action until most vehicles are too old to have any value or come back..... The Government or DVLA should really be taking them to task as they are just at it....

The DVLA is a revenue collector as is the government. Neither care about the roof issue or indeed the emmisions. On our own it seems unless the identified problems are a safety concern.

You only have to google 'VW cost cutting' to get a sense of the financial difficulty the VW group is in following the emissions scandal, and the internal pressure that must be there to avoid any additional costs. It doesn't give me much confidence that VW will voluntarily do the right thing even for customers who invested £50K with them. I hope Watchdog take an interest.

I have recently noticed that I have the dreaded roof corrosion. My California is 5 1/2 years old. Is it bad enough? there is vert slighy bubbling in a few places. I've sent pictures to the supplying dealer and had no reply from the warranty manager. I'm going to phone today to see what I need to do next.
I'm surprised some people are not reporting it to watchdog in support of your campaign - the bottom line is it shouldn't have happened and VW's good service in their case doesn't alter that fact.

Wish me luck (I have added my details to the watchdog appeal)

Regards

Ray
Report it and worry about if it's bad enough later...

You obviously haven't read the recent posts regarding the New Repair method which just involves rubbing down, primer and paint and then covering the front roof spoiler with a plastic cover. NOT what you had done by a trained bodyshop but instead by the closest bodyshop and taking a day with no loan vehicle. A cheap and poor quality repair in comparison.
Probably treats the symptom and not the disease.

Why on earth would anyone do that?!
I agree with @pjm-84 . There is no point worrying or looking for the signs until your warranty is about to expire. I have no obvious signs and will not be looking until 2 yrs and 11 months of my warranty have gone. Not sure I believe VW will honour their 6 year " Goodwill " claim period otherwise I would wait until 5 years and 11 months.

Currently trying to get our van sorted for a reoccurrence of corrosion on the raising roof section and corrosion of the sub-frame. We have been told by our dealer that Shorade are no longer dealing with any roof repair work! Not sure where we stand as VWCS were adamant that any cover on the roof repair was from the body shop that carried out the work.

Currently trying to get our van sorted for a reoccurrence of corrosion on the raising roof section and corrosion of the sub-frame. We have been told by our dealer that Shorade are no longer dealing with any roof repair work! Not sure where we stand as VWCS were adamant that any cover on the roof repair was from the body shop that carried out the work.

We have the same issues as you, re- occurrence of corrosion, we have just been speaking to Shorade who are very helpful and are definitely still repairing Cali roofs for VW.
Who is your dealer?
Perhaps we should we compare notes?

Erm, interesting. I think we need to speak to Shorade ourselves as they have been helpful in the past.

Update - mine is now getting repaired right now, I've been given a courtesy car and expected time to repair the roof is 2 weeks

New series of Watchdog starts next Wednesday at 8.00pm

Would have thought someone would have been contacted by Watchdog if they were going to mention VW and the roof problem/Customer Service etc: by now.

I called into see a friend of mine on Friday whilst enroute to collect the Cali from the detailers. His business supplies all the big motorway signs we drive past, they are aluminum so I thought I would pick his brains over the Cali roof issue.
After explaining what we were experiencing he asked whether we had a bonding strap between the roof and the steel vehicle.
He said they stop their signs from corroding by 2 main things:
1. use an acid etch on the bare aluminum that must cure for 24 hours before painting
2. use a stainless steel plate and bonding strap between the Aluminium panel and the frame it is mounted on.

They are currently replacing 40 year old signs that have no corrosion...

I called into see a friend of mine on Friday whilst enroute to collect the Cali from the detailers. His business supplies all the big motorway signs we drive past, they are aluminum so I thought I would pick his brains over the Cali roof issue.
After explaining what we were experiencing he asked whether we had a bonding strap between the roof and the steel vehicle.
He said they stop their signs from corroding by 2 main things:
1. use an acid etch on the bare aluminum that must cure for 24 hours before painting
2. use a stainless steel plate and bonding strap between the Aluminium panel and the frame it is mounted on.

They are currently replacing 40 year old signs that have no corrosion...

What material is the bonding strap?
How is it fixed to each component?

Back