Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
I wasn't aware of any roof corrosion problems until you alerted me via your website. My Cali is just over 3 years old and there are 2 areas on the front of the elevating roof that I've spotted some blistering of the paintwork. A bit of a worry, I must say. I've taken photographs (attached).
Richard (Cardiff)

2010 with corrosion on front and main roof panel.

Rather worryingly I think my front panel was repaired with the new gasket rather than film, however I think they just sprayed the panel rather than replace...corrosion is back regardless.

Hi,

Thank you for the email at the weekend, we have only just had a chance to check our roof and we also have corrosion on the front panel and also in several places on the main roof under the black rubber seal at the back and side.

I can't thank you enough for bringing this to our attention, we were hoping to sell our Van in September as we have been travelling over Europe for the past five month it now looks like this will be on hold now as I doubt I will get the work done before the end of the summer?
:sad

Oh yes, ours is a August 2013 model so less than a year old :cry:

I've just briefly checked my roof (2013) after receiving your email and I've found some some bubbling on the front panel.

Trudy said:
Hi,

Thank you for the email at the weekend, we have only just had a chance to check our roof and we also have corrosion on the front panel and also in several places on the main roof under the black rubber seal at the back and side.

I can't thank you enough for bringing this to our attention, we were hoping to sell our Van in September as we have been travelling over Europe for the past five month it now looks like this will be on hold now as I doubt I will get the work done before the end of the summer?

so the information re. a fix being applied to vans from the second half of 2013 means (i assume) vans built after 1st July 13. The next thing is (if you have a van registered 2nd half of 2013) how to establish the build date?

We have just bought a 2012 berghaus model in blue with the start of corrosion on the front panel. It's been registered with VW, so let's see what happens!

Still love the van though, it's our first camper and we intend to use it as much as possible.

Ambler said:
Trudy said:
Hi,

so the information re. a fix being applied to vans from the second half of 2013 means (i assume) vans built after 1st July 13. The next thing is (if you have a van registered 2nd half of 2013) how to establish the build date?

Although not definitive an easy way is to look for a date on a component such as the roof locker (LHS side - black lettering near white part sticker). The date of my roof locker is 20th August 2013 which means assembly of the van was after that date - likely a component is made before assembly date. This is corroborated by documentation from VW factory that I suspect would normally be removed at PDI - yellow build card.
I am sure there are better more accurate ways but at least you know the earliest date it could have been built.

sd5000 said:
Luckily my local van centre is Heritage Westbury who are an approved repairer. Spoke to them today and they confirmed they already have well over 100 to repair themselves...

It's going to be a VERY long wait unless more Bodyshops are trained :headbang

That will keep them busy for over a year!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Anybody manged to speak with Lee Glenn Manuel at VWCS recently?
the 0800 783 4909 number does not work for me this morning. It drops out after telling me its a chargeable call from mobiles.

I took my van into my dealer this morning to take further pictures of the roof corrosion. I wanted to be sure it was logged along with the front panel.

rob

Hi
I have a 2014 cali built in Dec/Jan 14 is this age of van still at risk of this corrosion and has the fix been fully completed. Or are we still in the finding solutions, but a few fixes have been implemented to try to solve the problem ?
pete

Although we were a prime mover in getting the box section corrosion issue accepted by VW, we have been rather complacent with regard to the corrosion on the main lifting section of the roof oun our Cali.

As our Cali is approaching the end of its 3 year warranty period, semi reluctantly, but prompted by the postings, I pulled off the rubber seal to see whether we had corrosion there as well. And guess what - we have! - virtually all round the lower edge. :eek:

I would urge everyone, particularly if your vehicle is approaching the end of its 3 year warranty, to pull down the rubber seal (it comes off and goes back easily) and check, because you really need to get this registered with VW.

SusiBus

Can I second SusiBus's post. I've just pulled the seal off a 6 inch strip of my seemingly perfect roof, and the entire 6 inch length has bubbling paint.....

GET CHECKING

Simon

sd5000 said:
vw have been making T5 Cali's for nearly a decade

Simon
And also many years of T4 Calis? Although I think I remember hearing they had fibreglass roofs, but looks like they have a similar front panel.

Having finally plucked up courage to check underneath the black rubber strip I have found bubbling and corrosion underneath on all four sides, predominantly on the front corners.

A quick call to VWCS made and advised to attend my dealer for a DISS report to be forwarded to them.

No great explanation needed to be made to VCWS who gave the impression of being very aware of the roof problems (I am awaiting repair of the front roof panel already).

Here is one of the photos I have taken.
Ps
Can anyone tell me how I can amend my poll vote to include both parts of the roof please?

CaliforniaDAN said:
No great explanation needed to be made to VCWS who gave the impression of being very aware of the roof problems (I am awaiting repair of the front roof panel already).

We'll i'd certainly given them plenty of stick on the phone about it earlier today, and I suggest everyone else does as well. That way it will raise the priority inside VW. Although VWCS is only a reactive organisation...

Another way is to get the fault logged as a DISS report as it is only once Germany see the true volume of main roof issues that proper action will be taken. Otherwise we'll get a blow-over like the original front roof repairs received (that are failing once more).

And the other way is to attack them from a publicity / PR / marketing perspective which is where BBC Watchdog and social media campaigns come in...

Simon

david white said:
Dont forget to post on VW Facebook page as they are NOT deleting the posts and they are responding to everyone.

https://www.facebook.com/VolkswagenCommercialVehiclesUK

Even if you don't have a facebook account it is worth signing up just to put your comments.

We found corrosion this morning under the rubber seal :censor :censor

Have just posted on Facebook also

sd5000 said:
I seem to be in the minority with the bubbles only (currently) on the main elevating roof, although it's only a matter of time for the front panel by the sound of it.

This issue seems to have only really gathered momentum in the last year if I'm right, with even 1 year old vans showing signs, but vw have been making T5 Cali's for nearly a decade, so are the 2006-9 models less affected or had this been kept quiet somehow for 8 years?

Simon

On the German forum they had Calis from 2006 to date with the bubbling on the panel above the windscreen. So I would imagine it to be the same here.

Thanks for your letter. I do not have any roof corrosion on my 2002 T4 California Event.
Chris.

robo said:
Anybody manged to speak with Lee Glenn Manuel at VWCS recently?
the 0800 783 4909 number does not work for me this morning. It drops out after telling me its a chargeable call from mobiles.

I took my van into my dealer this morning to take further pictures of the roof corrosion. I wanted to be sure it was logged along with the front panel.

rob

I have left two messages for him yesterday and he has not even bothered to call back, I think we all need to phone in and make a nuisance of ourselves. I have been now told I will be lucky to have my repair done before the end of 2015 :eek: This means people gettingt there vans checked now are possibly looking at 2016 before the problem is resolved. This is not good enoough I am afraid.

Here's a thought..... Before we got our Cali we used a roof tent on our old Volvo. While it was quite heavy, the makers had developed a carbon fibre version that was way lighter. The structure itself was pretty rigid and in many ways had to fulfil the same function as the California roof....... Does anyone have the skill set to fabricate a carbon fibre replacement roof for the Cali as it clearly would not rot, could maybe have roof rails incorporated and even embedded solar PV panels to trickle charge the battery....... End of corrosion/bimetal problems, likely lighter and maybe VW would adopt it as a solution to this rolling problem....

Just a thought........

Hello,

We have met a problem with the paint of that I call the cap : the part between the windscreen and the rising roof. You will find enclosed a PowerPoint document that we have prepared at the time for the garage and for Volksagen France.
After inspection by the garage and contact between it and Volkswagen France, Volkswagen accepted to take this problem under garantee. Our Calif was covered yet by the guarantee.

This part is in aluminium and it was a corrosion under the paint which raise the paint.

The difficulty for the garage was to paint because the Calif didn't enter in the paint cabinet with the roof stand up... and after to cook the paint without destroy the canevas of the roof...
But operation very good realized ; if you need the contact, it is at 30 minutes of Calais.

I know a lot of French owners Calif. have faced this problem and defects of the same type also appeared in the peripheral seal the roof; what we do not have, you can not have everything.

I hope I have correctly answered your message with my English very rough.

Nathalie & Thibaut

My paint blisters have started to flake off - looks very ugly now.

I'm gutted - it's only 18 months old and is my pride and joy :sad

We were thinking of buying a NEW Cali but are obviously worried by the roof corrosion issue & particularly by VW poor response to you very keen friendly, Cali owners. I have phoned their customer service several times.

I Phoned VW California customer service on 12th June to ascertain if they still only felt a " handful of owners " had a problem with bubbling on the main front . After checking, told the main roof if it has problems will be addressed at the same time as the front panel when van in for repair.

So then asked if they have addressed the main roof in the production line. Told no , only the front panel has been changed from October 2013 !!

Sadly we have decided not to buy a cali .

Wishing all you success in pursuit of a fair rapid response from VW .

I have a California 2008 and here is the places I have Corrosion
The main Corrosion on the roof front panel was very deep, almost through, and I grinded the corrosion and made a temporary protection a few month ago.
The corrosion on my front panel is on the left side apropox. 40 cm from l/h side.

I also have a deep corrosion spot on front lower part of the sliding door.

Back