Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

World premiere of the all new Volkswagen California

Does anybody know if there are two leisure batteries?

not seen any details on differences between Ocean & Coast

electric roof? what else?

Was looking forward to an upgrade but i don't think this is a good upgrade. The key things i wanted are just not there. The storage is lacking big time, no more underseat space or now limited at least, the units looks smaller in size and the rear camper seat storage space (used to shove loads of extra things in there) lacking as well as no proper inside table with easy access.

The T6.1 was good and all they needed to do was upgrade things like
  1. Hot Water option
  2. Improved batteries to latest as well as monitoring (maybe should have worked with Victron and white label something for california) :)
  3. allow heating in the pop top via the diesel heater or whatever they now have so all integrated
  4. solar as standard on the roof, possibly integrated to utilise all the possible space.
  5. the steering wheel needed to be a mix between the new golf etc heated but with buttons.
  6. material and soft touch fabrics to actually give a feeling of value given the price the T6.1 was very poor scratchy plastics.
  7. remove gas and use space for all electric appliances i.e. induction with the upgrades on capacity and solar.. whats the point in one hob?
  8. Why no front integrated blinds (surely with all that experience they could come up with something)
I just feel the california multivan is not the best platform being longer and thinner, i really hope they have something else up their "Calfornia" sleeves with the new product range.

I will of course when available go and look at it in person as sometimes videos etc are deceiving.. but i don't hold much hope.

I like how it looks. The way you can access the fridge from both the inside and outside is a bonus, but it's less accessible for passengers when driving.
Hasn't it got more wardrobe space than the T6.1? Though what about under-seat storage in the rear.
The factory window bags are great if standard.

This video has the Ocean bed sizes:

1.06m downstairs (vs 1.14m in the T6.1)
1.13m upstairs (vs 1.2m in the T6.1)

If the upstairs bed is narrower than the current one, your bedding is going be pushed against the canvas - absorbing all the leaks. So the following morning:

The bellows will be completely dry and as such fit for purpose.
You‘ll be running over to the laundry with dripping duvets thinking you’ve accidentally wet the bed.

I do find these comments deja vu / somewhat amusing. On every vehicle forum I have been on (VW, BMW, Porsche) whenever a new model / version comes out, the participants jump in with criticism along the lines of "its not as solid as the old one" "it looks less well-finished" "I can't see that anyone will actually want this or that feature". Give it 6 months and everyone starts singing the praises of the new. To me it looks an update and an upgrade. I can't afford it but I would like it.

As a current '23 beach tour owner, I think the obvious positives of the T7 beach are the much more modern and car like feel up front, I think the drivetrain options are probably better as well.

I think using it for camping it is much of a muchness, the beds are slightly smaller in the t7 but not prohibitively so and still could sleep 4 adults if you so wished.

Drawbacks, maximum of 6 seats, I've had 7 in mine on quite a few occasions. The towing capacity is I think 0.5t lower in the t7 which is useless for when I tow my racecar. Then the cooker and draws in the back assumimg that they can't be removed just limit the versatility of the t7.

I think that the ease of removing seats is good vs the bench in the t6, but it is rendered a little useless as you still have boot space taken up.

It looks like a people carrier, which I don't think it will grow on me so it doesn't have any draw from that perspective.

I can see how it will work for some with no issues, but it seems like with the beach they have removed some of the versatility. If thise aspects of the versatility lost aren't important to someone then there are positives for the t7.

I do find these comments deja vu / somewhat amusing. On every vehicle forum I have been on (VW, BMW, Porsche) whenever a new model / version comes out, the participants jump in with criticism along the lines of "its not as solid as the old one" "it looks less well-finished" "I can't see that anyone will actually want this or that feature". Give it 6 months and everyone starts singing the praises of the new. To me it looks an update and an upgrade. I can't afford it but I would like it.
Can't disagree more. The Porsche 996 was pilloried from the outset and was never taken seriously. Plenty of examples of a new model or technology being less favoured than what went before. LCD flat panels are another example which had far inferior image quality vs its plasma predecessor. Digital cameras vs film. The list goes on. Progress isn't always progressive.

There's some science behind it in most situations - which is also why it's common.

Individuals resist change, especially if they're invested (emotionally, financially or just comfort wise) in their own situation - the prospect of change isn't a nice one. I mentioned previously on how folks didn't like the T6.1 design at first, but now it's 'the flagship end of line and couldnt get better'.

However this is slightly different. This is a different product and changes the overall placement of it. It's not as well suited for long trips, cant hold as many people as comfortably, and lacks the capability and versatility of prior models - all of which were their USP. You take those away and it falls flat.

Yes, as existing models will drop off in age, these will become the norm and dominant model and folks will love it - kids that grow up with them will view them with nostalgia and pine over them. But in this moment - it's very much a step back from the current offering.

It’ll sell.

Just like when LR launched the new Defender it’s a big departure and purists will hate it. It’ll be loaded with lots of tech and carry a big premium over the t6.1, it will drive better and probably break just as often if not more.

Old Defenders shot up in price, the accessories and mods markets also boomed. Like the old Defenders the t5/6's will live on and remain sought after. Both will remain popular but with different audiences.

I’ve spent a small fortune turning my t6 into a soft roader, something the multivan version can probably never be. I had no intention of upgrading and I’ve seen nothing to change my mind. I look forward to towing one of these off of a wet Welsh campsite in about 18 months time.

If the upstairs bed is narrower than the current one, your bedding is going be pushed against the canvas - absorbing all the leaks. So the following morning:

The bellows will be completely dry and as such fit for purpose.
You‘ll be running over to the laundry with dripping duvets thinking you’ve accidentally wet the bed.
The upstairs bed is slightly wider. It's the downstairs one that's significantly narrower owing to the wider kitchen/cupboard unit, not to mention the rear seats viv a vis the current bench.

Tbh it does look good inside and out; however,
it may lack some funtionallity used as a camper.
The second sliding door it would appear has compromised the living area design; I.e. ime never seen a conversion opt for 2 sliding doors. The open style drawer fridge will struggle to cool if being accessed too often and there is limited cooking / storage. It seems aimed more at hot climate customers perhaps...

i wonder if the bellows and roof mechanism (certainly looks very similar) is the same in terms of dimensions (noting the comment above about bed dimensions so maybe not)? If so, might provide some hope for long suffering bellowsgate members as assuming VW have (or are trying) to fix it for this latest Cali these will in time presumably will become the warranty replacement item?

The upstairs bed is slightly wider. It's the downstairs one that's significantly narrower owing to the wider kitchen/cupboard unit, not to mention the rear seats viv a vis the current bench.
Upstairs is not wider. Its 1.14m vs current 1.20m

i wonder if the bellows and roof mechanism (certainly looks very similar) is the same in terms of dimensions (noting the comment above about bed dimensions so maybe not)? If so, might provide some hope for long suffering bellowsgate members as assuming VW have (or are trying) to fix it for this latest Cali these will in time presumably will become the warranty replacement item?
I highly doubt the poptop on the MV is backwards compatible. Would be great if it was as you say. Certainly looks like they are coming out of the same factory though. Does not bode well.

Looked at
its a good start for VW remember the t6.1 has had decades of refinements. I would not get this new van on account of the poor seats and silly beds, they are stuck wit the multi van seats and need to develop some special ones like the t6.1 has. The hard cove looks very uncomfortable knowing how bad vw mattress are, and the 3 seat beach you need to remove the chair to make the bed! Finally the beach kitchen is dreadful taken from the caddy, no good for the uk as you can only use outside. The ocean is better but there’s no food or plate or pan storage.…..as I said good start, but the t7.1 is when to think about it, in 4/5 years time. The only people that will buy these are the new vw cali people. The rest of us will hold on to our t6.1 and earlier

I just don't want all that tech to turn on the lights and the heater. I prefer switches. Light on,light off. Like I have at home and I'm sure all you lot do when you walk through the front door. When it fails, replace bulb or switch, that's it. Not a stupid module and touch screen. Imagine these vans when they're 20 year old? Be impossible to fix. Unnecessary and not wanted

New camping chairs look good.

That said, we store thin stools inside the current chairs, so would want space to do the same.

Just watched the above Autogefühl video for the Beach section (25:00 onwards) and seen that one of the seats in the rear ‘bench’ has to be removed, turned around, then placed backwards for the downstairs bed to be made. That then leaves very little floorspace.

I’m shocked that VW didn’t find an alternative approach for this.

1F03AA58-3DC4-4541-8B51-9FA4E208AC23.png

Back