Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A word of warning

J

Jimboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
A word of warning to anyone picking up a new GC . l took delivery on the 27th of march this year. Whilst having the handover was told they could not run the gas that would have been checked at the factory. A few days later I connected a new bottle closed the van up only to find the next morning the van was full of gas it’s still with the dealer now .
So if you are picking up a new vehicle take a gas bottle with you and run it before you take the van home. YOU CAN’T TRUST THE FACTORY.

I thought the gas lines had to be checked off and a round sticker applied indicating the system is gas safe. Was the gas line shutoff under the kitchen unit closed off? Just thinking of possible sources for a leak. The lines themselves and associated factory fitted valves and regulators should be fine when leaving the factory.

I thought the gas lines had to be checked off and a round sticker applied indicating the system is gas safe. Was the gas line shutoff under the kitchen unit closed off? Just thinking of possible sources for a leak. The lines themselves and associated factory fitted valves and regulators should be fine when leaving the factory.
I presume the gas cylinder and regulator are within a gas tight locker, like the California. In that case the only connection outside the gas locker is to the kitchen cut off valve and gas burners.

I presume the gas cylinder and regulator are within a gas tight locker, like the California. In that case the only connection outside the gas locker is to the kitchen cut off valve and gas burners.
No it’s not a gas tight locker.

Container will be sealed at the top with a vent hole under the bottle. Gas is heavier than air so any leaking gas will make its way through the vent and get dispersed outside/under the van.

The line Coker is supposed to be gas tight on a GC, it has compressible seals to thopening panels & a dropout vent in the floor.
If you have gas heating there is also a shutoff for that under the sink & obviously the pipe run to the truma boiler under the passenger seat.
If you have gas heating it would be an easy mistake to only connect one gas bottle to the manifold in the gas locker & plumb it so that the gas can escape via the other inlet on the manifold.

It should be pretty easy to narrow down where a leak is just by opening and shutting the valves under the sink. If it leaks with the valves shut it’s between their and the gas locker.

Container will be sealed at the top with a vent hole under the bottle. Gas is heavier than air so any leaking gas will make its way through the vent and get dispersed outside/under the van.
Not necessarily. Yes butane is heavier than air and under calm conditions it would vent downwards. However, if the leak was very severe the vent holes would not cope and then gas would bent into the van. Also in windy conditions it is perfectly possible for the air pressure under the vent holes to be high enough to restrict or prevent venting out of the holes causing the gas to vent into the van.

Not necessarily. Yes butane is heavier than air and under calm conditions it would vent downwards. However, if the leak was very severe the vent holes would not cope and then gas would bent into the van. Also in windy conditions it is perfectly possible for the air pressure under the vent holes to be high enough to restrict or prevent venting out of the holes causing the gas to vent into the van.

Thats why the top of the container has a rubber seal and is clamped down. In a severe leak the gas will always force its way out the bottom as it’s heavier than air.

Thats why the top of the container has a rubber seal and is clamped down. In a severe leak the gas will always force its way out the bottom as it’s heavier than air.
Sorry. NO. If the air pressure, for whatever reason, is higher outside the van than in then the gas will not vent outside the van.

Sorry. NO. If the air pressure, for whatever reason, is higher outside the van than in then the gas will not vent outside the van.
Of course it will. If the lid is sealed/gas tight then any gas leaking into the gas container will raise the pressure within and the gas drop holes will vent the pressure/gas externally.

If you want to believe that then go ahead.

I haven't checked closely but I don't remember seeing a rubber gasket on the T6.1's lid. No seal => not gas tight

As said believe what you want. I am well aware of the physics - covered it well at university and for 45 years beyond.
If you really believe that you can have a higher atmospheric pressure outside the van, especially the gas locker that has an opening on the bottom, then the mind boggles at what you were taught.

If you really believe that you can have a higher atmospheric pressure outside the van, especially the gas locker that has an opening on the bottom, then the mind boggles at what you were taught.
Clearly you have not studied wind dynamics and the effects that wind can have on local pressure variations. As said, for the third time, you can believe whatever you want.

Clearly you have not studied wind dynamics and the effects that wind can have on local pressure variations. As said, for the third time, you can believe whatever you want.
Big difference between Wind Pressure and Atmospheric pressure and how they are measured.
In the case of the van in a gale, you would have a high wind pressure on the side facing the wind direction and a lower wind pressure on the leeward side but atmospheric pressure would be measured in still air.
Anyway, it doesn't alter the fact that Butane gas is heavier than air. The pressure within the gas cylinder is significantly higher than any atmospheric pressure you would experience and the cylinder regulator drops that pressure to 30 millibars greater than ambient atmospheric pressure. So in the case of a gas leak from cylinder, regulator or connections/pipework within the locker the pressure would rise within the gas locker to at least 30 millibars above atmospheric , but it can't because there is a big hole in the base of the gas locker through which the heavier butane will escape to equalise the pressure differential and it doesn't matter what the wind speed is.
As I said , it's just Physics.

Big difference between Wind Pressure and Atmospheric pressure and how they are measured.
In the case of the van in a gale, you would have a high wind pressure on the side facing the wind direction and a lower wind pressure on the leeward side but atmospheric pressure would be measured in still air.
Anyway, it doesn't alter the fact that Butane gas is heavier than air. The pressure within the gas cylinder is significantly higher than any atmospheric pressure you would experience and the cylinder regulator drops that pressure to 30 millibars greater than ambient atmospheric pressure. So in the case of a gas leak from cylinder, regulator or connections/pipework within the locker the pressure would rise within the gas locker to at least 30 millibars above atmospheric , but it can't because there is a big hole in the base of the gas locker through which the heavier butane will escape to equalise the pressure differential and it doesn't matter what the wind speed is.
As I said , it's just Physics.
Number 4. Just believe what you want.