Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

We have evidence that 05S is being the replacement at dealers now, with yesterdays announcement and photo with the manufacture in this exampE being 12/3/24. Assuming these are the Romanian Bellows which will have a lead time to get to Hanover from their country of origin is anyone aware the earliest these have been fitted at vehicle manufacture leaving the factory as the initial pair of bellows fitted. Be interesting to know how far this process has been going on at the production line or perhaps it hasn’t even started yet And todays bellows being fitted are still 04S?

We have evidence that 05S is being the replacement at dealers now, with yesterdays announcement and photo with the manufacture in this exampE being 12/3/24. Assuming these are the Romanian Bellows which will have a lead time to get to Hanover from their country of origin is anyone aware the earliest these have been fitted at vehicle manufacture leaving the factory as the initial pair of bellows fitted. Be interesting to know how far this process has been going on at the production line or perhaps it hasn’t even started yet And todays bellows being fitted are still 04S?
Apparently it was a printing error...

Not spotted by QC

Romanian bellows , what have we become

Romanian bellows , what have we become
You’d be surprised what comes out of Romania. Diesel jeans and other Italian boutique brands such as Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Dolce & Gabbana, Burberry, Armani, Hugo Boss, as well as Zara, Stradivarius, Bershka, Mango, Next, Dorothy Perkins, M&Co etc.
They clearly have issues making water resistant seams it seems.

Picked up the new van in April, build date Feb 24 with 04S bellows. Bellows leaked in the first week so booked van in for investigation and just had version 05S fitted yesterday.
Could you take some photographs please, showing the overall design of the windows (should put to bed one way or the other the theory the pop top is the new Cali's design or not as the window/vent shape on the sides looks different on the new Cali) and looking up close at the vertical seams? I expect we are anticipating some visible black sealant (like we have on the horizontal seams on the 04S) but it's possible other innovations have been implemented.

Cheers :)

Could you take some photographs please, showing the overall design of the windows (should put to bed one way or the other the theory the pop top is the new Cali's design or not as the window/vent shape on the sides looks different on the new Cali) and looking up close at the vertical seams? I expect we are anticipating some visible black sealant (like we have on the horizontal seams on the 04S) but it's possible other innovations have been implemented.

Cheers :)
Or as some joker said on the German forums that VW just ran out of 04S labels

Romanian bellows , have we become
I am sure it would be a lot worse if it was made in the uk probably leak and stitches would drop out and fabric would fade lol
oh no , I was In no way defaming Eastern European Workmanship. I’m sat here in Slovakia halfway though a quality audit at one of our factories .

More just a level of detail / guessing game comment. No offence meant.

Adrian told me that the 04S M1A is now relabelled as 05S. Not sure if that means they are both the same or not.

I’m waiting for some 05S test results from other users before I got for my 5th set of bellows.
I am supri
Why, we have some great textile manufacturing companies in the UK.
i am sure Romania does as well

Update on my call with Adrian this morning :

He has had a reply regarding Aquatex which I don't think really helps. In essence they are saying it is OK to use, but if it degrades the zips or fabric, that wouldn't be covered under warranty. I am not seeing any visible evidence of the zips or the fabric falling apart, so I am not worried that I have used Aquatex.

He has confirmed that there were some 04S M1A bellows produced and that the latest designation for these is 05S.

His suggestion was to wait for a while before getting an 05S set of bellows fitted to be absolutely sure that the latest design works effectively.

He has offered me a gesture of goodwill in the form of a credit to spend with VW which more than covers the cost of the topper I purchased. I am happy with this arrangement.

As my bellows are proving to be 100% watertight after using Aquatex, I won't be looking to get them replaced unless they start leaking again over the next year or so. If they do leak and there are any issues in VW honouring the warranty, then I will cross that bridge when we get there.

I will keep following the discussion to see how people are getting on with their 05S bellows. Hopefully they will work and we will all have a viable replacement if needed.

Update on my call with Adrian this morning :

He has had a reply regarding Aquatex which I don't think really helps. In essence they are saying it is OK to use, but if it degrades the zips or fabric, that wouldn't be covered under warranty. I am not seeing any visible evidence of the zips or the fabric falling apart, so I am not worried that I have used Aquatex.

He has confirmed that there were some 04S M1A bellows produced and that the latest designation for these is 05S.

His suggestion was to wait for a while before getting an 05S set of bellows fitted to be absolutely sure that the latest design works effectively.

He has offered me a gesture of goodwill in the form of a credit to spend with VW which more than covers the cost of the topper I purchased. I am happy with this arrangement.

As my bellows are proving to be 100% watertight after using Aquatex, I won't be looking to get them replaced unless they start leaking again over the next year or so. If they do leak and there are any issues in VW honouring the warranty, then I will cross that bridge when we get there.

I will keep following the discussion to see how people are getting on with their 05S bellows. Hopefully they will work and we will all have a viable replacement if needed.
Sounds like a reasonable result for now ..do you think we should start a new thread regarding the effectiveness of the 05S bellows or keep things running on this one which is predominately around 03S & 04S?

I suspect we're all now wondering the same thing; what's changed (if anything) from 04S to 05S? I am sure there will be some change; each iteration has resulted in tangible differences.

Sounds like a reasonable result for now ..do you think we should start a new thread regarding the effectiveness of the 05S bellows or keep things running on this one which is predominately around 03S & 04S?
Personally no. It's good to see everything in one place as we've gone from 03S to 04S with varying successes and failures and many similarities between failures across variants...

Hi everyone,

I am the future owner of a VW California Ocean (due this Friday) and this whole conversation thrown my confidence in VW/ my future vehicle. It’s a German vehicle if that matters (sold in Luxembourg).

I intend to pre-emptively treat the bellows with waterproofing spray as I cannot afford having to wait/ put the vehicle with the dealer etc. Do we know if one product is better than another one? I was looking at Fabsil gold (silicon based) or use something less radical like Nikwax tent and gears spray. Do we know if people had successes with Nikwax?

Best,

Hi everyone,

I am the future owner of a VW California Ocean (due this Friday) and this whole conversation thrown my confidence in VW/ my future vehicle. It’s a German vehicle if that matters (sold in Luxembourg).

I intend to pre-emptively treat the bellows with waterproofing spray as I cannot afford having to wait/ put the vehicle with the dealer etc. Do we know if one product is better than another one? I was looking at Fabsil gold (silicon based) or use something less radical like Nikwax tent and gears spray. Do we know if people had successes with Nikwax?

Best,
Aquatex from my reading would be the preferred option as it leaves no trace when applied. Whether its as long lived as the others you mentioned has yet to be determined.

Hi everyone,

Best,
I’ve applied both Aquatex and Fabsil. Both are quality. Aquatex is easier to apply, dries quicker and leaves no marks. Nikwax is water based. In my early trials, I used a water based seam sealant and it wasn’t a success, unlike the solvent based Aquatex / Fabsil

I’ve applied both Aquatex and Fabsil. Both are quality. Aquatex is easier to apply, dries quicker and leaves no marks. Nikwax is water based. In my early trials, I used a water based seam sealant and it wasn’t a success, unlike the solvent based Aquatex / Fabsil
Thanks for the recommendation for Aquatex! So Fabsil left mark over the bellows and is therefore not recommended (especially if one want to be able to seek warranty from VW on this)?

I have had my 05s fitted and I've water tested and it is leaking. I am furious
At this point I think VW need to fire the contractor who is making these travesties. Especially as they seem to be the supplier for the MV Cali bellows too. This sorry debacle beggars belief. Unless changes are made I see many years of problems ahead.

Back