Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking pop tops on 2023 California Oceans

+1 on this ! Just had a fantastic Break in the outer Hebrides . Only 1 night of light consistentView attachment 123617 rain and no wind . Post 09/11 04S leaked quite badly ! Actually worse than my original 03S !

View attachment 123619
Meant to add, despite
+1 on this ! Just had a fantastic Break in the outer Hebrides . Only 1 night of light consistentView attachment 123617 rain and no wind . Post 09/11 04S leaked quite badly ! Actually worse than my original 03S !

View attachment 123619
Meant to add this pales into insignificance when you are fortunate enough to be in your Cali in Scotland ( Uig Bay ) last Friday !

IMG_5283.jpeg

IMG_5277.jpeg

IMG_5298.jpeg

Meant to add, despite

Meant to add this pales into insignificance when you are fortunate enough to be in your Cali in Scotland ( Uig Bay ) last Friday !

View attachment 123620

View attachment 123621

View attachment 123622
You bas***d..............it was clearly visible here in Norfolk appearing around 11.30 but we'd had a busy day and in bed by 10.30!!!! So many times we've been up there and not seen anything and they appear a day later - arghhhhhhhh!!!!

Had my S03 bellows replaced last week with an S05 as the S03 leaked on a weekend away, we had been lucky with the weather until this point - however it rained quite heavily during the night on this occasion and there was a puddle in the corner above the passenger seat.

Went away with the new bellows fitted last weekend and had to sit through a couple of thunderstorms - pleased to say no leaks as yet and no day light visible through the seams which was clear on the S03. VW Breeze Poole/Totton were fantastic. Touchwood, for us at least, it seems to have be resolved. Time will tell guess. (Van was new in Nov 23).

First night in the rain with the new 5S was a 50/50 success, the canvas appears to be water tight around the sticking but I had a pool of water in each front corner internal of the van looks like it is either leaking through the rubber seal at the base somehow or it is through the canvas stitching right at the base. Awaiting dealer response

Looking for other peoples' experiences with the new double lined pop top roof (the one that is grey outside / cream inside), and any potential solutions to the problem of leaking though the seams and fabric.

In the last week we've had complaints from customers on all four of our March 2023 Oceans that the new style pop tops have leaked, mostly though the seams in heavy rain or constant drizzle. Each of them has the new double lined lined pop top roof (grey outside / cream inside). It's not a problem that we had with our "old style" 2022 vehicles (the ones with the single grey pop top fabric) - I think it might be an issue with the new design.

I've read on the forums that putting the pop tops through a few wet / dry cycles will sort the issue as the fibres tighten up - has anyone experienced this with the new style pop top?

If not, has anyone tried something like a Nikwax application to improve waterproofness?
I have just bought a van registered in dec 23 and the roof is leaking at everywhere… in the process trying to get it sorted by a replacement or return

I have just bought a van registered in dec 23 and the roof is leaking at everywhere… in the process trying to get it sorted by a replacement or return
If you've waded through some of this thread you will know that to date, VW have not produced a replacement bellows that is definitely waterproof. Even the latest 05S variant has failed for some owners. If you decide to go the repair route, do so knowing that you may be in for a long wait and that rejecting the van once you have given the dealer an opportunity to fix it may be more challenging, slower and costly. If you are happy to rely on a topper/wrap/can of Aquatex, and want to keep the van, then leaking bellows is a resolvable problem - just not by VW so far!

First night in the rain with the new 5S was a 50/50 success, the canvas appears to be water tight around the sticking but I had a pool of water in each front corner internal of the van looks like it is either leaking through the rubber seal at the base somehow or it is through the canvas stitching right at the base. Awaiting dealer response
Sorry to hear this.

Did you have an earlier version of the bellows on your van, or is it a very recently built one with the 05S fitted at the factory?

The pooling you describe on each front corner is the same as I was seeing with my 04S bellows.
Although not obvious unless you sat there watching whilst it was raining and dripping through, in my case it was wicking through the stitching where the front panel is sewn to the side panel. Then running part way down the stitching until the curve of the panel became more convex. At that point it dripped down onto the metal roof.

I guess the bottom line is that you are getting leaks which is particularly frustrating given the history of these bellows and VW's attempts to solve it.

First night with rain and rear section of pop top is a bit damp. Rain running off the roof and splashing the canvas .. I suspect the direction of the rain helped us from getting wetter

You may find the version printed on the part number sticker which hides on the top of the plastic reinforcement strip sewn into the bellows above the drivers door - easiest to see it with the roof partially elevated and with a torch. What you won't find there is the date of manufacture - that was only printed on the paper tag.

Bought a brand new cali from Breeze, Poole in March. First time using the pop top in the rain this week on a much anticipated holiday. Had to come home after second night as bedding was soaked by bellows (04s) leaking in multiple places. Also water pooling in back cupboards , soaking our clothes.
We are going to go into Breeze next week and will complain vigorously as they knew this was a problem when we bought it, (Tom@breeze has commented on here about it since Sept 2023!) and chose to say nothing. The camper is not fit for purpose and we will refuse a cover. As my husband says it’s like buying a brand new house and being given a tarpaulin to put over the roof because it leaks!

Bought a brand new cali from Breeze, Poole in March. First time using the pop top in the rain this week on a much anticipated holiday. Had to come home after second night as bedding was soaked by bellows (04s) leaking in multiple places. Also water pooling in back cupboards , soaking our clothes.
We are going to go into Breeze next week and will complain vigorously as they knew this was a problem when we bought it, (Tom@breeze has commented on here about it since Sept 2023!) and chose to say nothing. The camper is not fit for purpose and we will refuse a cover. As my husband says it’s like buying a brand new house and being given a tarpaulin to put over the roof because it leaks!
Oh that’s not good at all.
Your husband has absolutely summed it up perfectly.
Hope you get it resolved but very disappointing.

Didn’t you inform the forum on a separate post that your bellows leaked after testing on 6/5 … did you inform dealer about leak then prior to your holiday When your initial findings seem to have been repeated or for your holiday did you have a replacement?

Didn’t you inform the forum on a separate post that your bellows leaked after testing on 6/5 … did you inform dealer about leak then prior to your holiday When your initial findings seem to have been repeated or for your holiday did you have a replacement?

Yes we tested them on our drive as earlier that week Breeze had found they were leaking when we reported water pooling at the back. We thought we had overfilled the water tank! Bellowsgate was not known to us then!
First holiday away this week. We were naively optimistic. Sadly misplaced. Have rung Breeze today but no one available to speak to us.

Back